bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Please pass the SALT!  (Read 13292 times)

Deborah-Leigh

Please pass the SALT!
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:37:41 PM »

Hello Forum

Jesus said in Matt 5 :13 You are the salt of the earth but…BUT…if the salt looses its saltiness……

What is the second witness to the above scripture?

What do you think would make salt loose its saltiness?

What are the qualities of salt that this scriputure could be pointing out that we should cultivate and value.?

I have been reflecting on what SALT means  and would appreciate your insights, reflections or testimonies regarding the meaning and relevance of SALT.  :D

Peace to you

Arcturus  :)

iris

Re: Please pass the SALT!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »

Hi Arcturus,

Mark 9:50 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost

his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves,

and have peace one with another.

Col. 4:6 Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt,

that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Rom. 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make

for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Iris

brothertoall

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:26:59 PM »

I kinda look at it this way. I know salt makes things taste better. I do not know anyone who does not like salt.Now really think about that.

bobby

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »

Hello Iris and Bobby

Thank you for your valueable input.

.... salt is good in SMALL doses IF only it has not lost its saltiness. Of course grace and peace and preserving the bond of peace among the brethren is scriptural and common sense. In support of your insights we are cautioned that there are six things that the Lord HATES and indeed seven are an ABOMINATION to Him the seventh thing being one who sows discord among his brethren. Proverbs 6 : 19

So WHAT is the test of saltiness? Is the preservation of peace and the presence of grace = saltiness?  What is this then......

...."Woe to you"....and..."You poor and silly and thoughtless and unreflecting and senseless...".......

What is that? Where is the grace in that? Where is the peace in those words?.....Do these words show grace or peace?

Certainly the persons to whom this was addressed by Jesus first and secondly Paul to the Galatians Chapter 3 might show something deeper about salt and its applications.

i can see that edification might have been the result of such a responce.....is there a key to understanding this SALT in edification?

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:15:42 PM by Arcturus »

Redbird

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »

Ray's paper on winning souls for Jesus explains this some.  I think severe persecution can make one loose their saltiness, along with fear - which is one of the enemies greatest weapons.

Lisa

Kat

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:44:23 PM »

Hi Arcturus,

The way I am looking at this, is most foods are dull of themself,
but when you add salt, this makes food come to life.  
Same for the elect, when they have Christ in them,
they bring life to the world.

John 6:33  For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

John 8:12  Then Jesus spoke again to them, saying, I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the life of life.

Mat 5:13  You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt loses its savor, with what shall it be salted? It is no longer good for anything, but to be thrown out and to be trodden underfoot by men.

As for Matt 5:13, it seems to be referring to someone who has Christ in them, but goes back into the world and falls away.
I believe it is saying they can not be restored in this life, but must go to the White Throne Judgment.

Heb 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
Heb 6:5  and have tasted the good Word of God and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6  and who have fallen away; it is impossible, I say, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify the Son of God afresh to themselves and put Him to an open shame.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:13:26 PM »

Hi Arcturus,

Interesting subject, I am going to look into this more. What struck me first off is how salt is used, a little bit is sprinkled or distributed over the entire area to be consumed. You don't put the whole amount on one small bit of your meal.

Kind of like the elect, spread or placed apart all over the world.

Thank you for starting this thought provoking post.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

DWIGHT

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »

Kat,

Heb. 6:6 has always bothered me because I have fallen away a few times myself, yet here I am.  Why do you think it says that it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance?  Is this a bad translation?  I mean loosing its saltiness and impossible to renew them seems to match, doesn't it?  Nothing is impossible with God.  Its like the unforgivable sin.  Anyway, I could sure use some clarification on this.

In His love,

Dwight

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:10:40 PM »

As I was contemplating this through the scriptural references to salt I remembered that salt is a unique compound, it is comprised of sodium (a metal so dangerously unstable that it can burst into flame when exposed to water). The other element is chlorine (a lethal gas).

Put them together and you have salt, very low toxicity and non flamable.

I think there could be some significance here...............

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 10:51:37 PM »

Kat,

Heb. 6:6 has always bothered me because I have fallen away a few times myself, yet here I am.  Why do you think it says that it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance?  Is this a bad translation?  I mean loosing its saltiness and impossible to renew them seems to match, doesn't it?  Nothing is impossible with God.  Its like the unforgivable sin.  Anyway, I could sure use some clarification on this.

In His love,

Dwight6

Hello Dwight,

Falling away is expected, it is part of our growth and spiritual development as we realize we are nothing and He is everything. If we are not humble enough to forgive we will not be forgiven and are not one of His chosen. Recognizing how weak our flesh is and beginning to despise the worldly things we once loved should tell us that He is working us unto perfection, we are not nor will we be perfect in this flesh but we have the covering of Christ's blood.

We fall, He lifts us up, if we are truly chosen He will keep us and cover us.

Prov 24:1 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

Matt 18:21Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

Matt 18:22Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Matt 18:23Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

Matt 18:24And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.

Matt 18:25But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

Matt 18:26The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

Matt 18:27Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

Matt 18:28But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

Matt 18:29And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

Matt 18:30And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

Matt 18:31So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.

Matt 18:32Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:

Matt 18:33Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

Matt 18:34And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

Matt 18:35So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

The chapter of Hebrews 6 is speaking of the called who were not of the elect, not of the elect who may stumble along their walk with Him because He will lift His own again and again. Remember He will not lose any of those whom the Father has given Him.

Joe

gmik

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:55:24 PM »

Interesting!!  I like a little salt-dispersed-but if the top comes off the food becomes inedible.  Too much of a good thing??

Dang, I want some chips now!

love,
gena

DWIGHT

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:04 AM »

Joe and Arcturus,

Thanks Joe for your post it really helped me.  You know, right after I posted that, I listened to the last message Ray gave at the Sept. conference in Mobile.  Ray goes into great detail of how none of the elect can be lost.  This has really cleared up alot of things for me.  Arcturus, I think the elect won't lose their saltiness because God won't let them.  They are the salt of the earth and if the earth loses the salt.....you get what I mean.

God bless,

Dwight

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 02:00:16 AM »

This is great everyone! Already a revelation and homework !

Dwight I will need to rep-visit the Mobile Conference.

Joe in ref to what you wrote : salt is a unique compound, it is comprised of sodium (a metal so dangerously unstable that it can burst into flame when exposed to water). The other element is chlorine (a lethal gas).

Put them together and you have salt, very low toxicity and non flamable.

Do you think that 2 Cor 2 : 16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death, and to the other the savour of life unto life.

Jesus was flammable and most likely seen by the Pharisees as dangerously unstable, bursting into flame and a lethal gas but to us He is a sweet fragrance ref “ Cor 2 : 15. What do you think? Could this be the tie to "Woe" as was percieved by the rebellious?

This thread so far is extinguishing fear and that is very sweet!

Peace to you

Harry

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »

Hello everyone,

This thought came to me a few months ago.  If we are salted by His grace, then we will thirst for His righteousness.

God bless,

Harry

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »

Harry,

Very good thought.  Thanks for sharing.  That to me brought up memories of the best steak we have ever had.  Just by the act of salting it, it does make one hunger more.  I know was hungriere when I could smell the salt on my steak. So yeah I can see how it would work spiritually.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Robin

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 03:04:33 PM »

"Salt was once considered a very precious commodity; as important as money has grown to be. Because it was so valued within ancient societies and was very expensive to buy and also very difficult to extract, it has had quite a lot of symbolism and superstition attached to it over the course of human history. Salt was used as a preservative and, in this sense, began to symbolize life and the avoidance of decay. It became a sign of hospitality, trust and friendship because of its high price. Soldiers in Rome were often paid in salt and, in this way, it was also a form of currency. This latter use of salt is the source of the expression that a person was "not worth his salt."

idioms:
salt of the earth
A person or group considered as the best or noblest part of society.

worth (one's) salt
Efficient and capable.

Salt was very valuable during the time when Jesus was on earth. If the salt lost it's saltiness it lost it's value.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts so far everyone.

Here is what I am thinking.

Mark 9 : 49 Everyone EVERYONE will be salted with fire.

I agree that the salt is used spiritually as it is also applied physically to food to enhance taste. That means it is used sparingly not overwhelmingly.   :D

Now observing what Jesus says in Mark 9….that we will be salted with fire…

1 Cor 3 : 13 The work of each one will be come plainly, openly known, shown for what it is; for the day of Christ will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the  work each person has done.

1 Peter 1 : 7 So the genuineness of your faith may be tested, your faith which is infinitely more precious than the perishable gold which is tested and purified with fire.

If this is to be done as in being SALTED with fire….then the salt will get in to places that are hidden and unexposed. Their little granules will penetrate every area and this will be a fire test for those who’s works are wicked and it will be an enhancement for those who are faithful. Salt can burn in the open wounds of deep secret wickedness.

Both the fool and the faithful will be salted…..with fire. EVERY ONE will be SALTED with fire. ie as in salting food....sprinkled with salt not overwhelmed in salt. But to the wicked, this sprinkling with fire as in sprinkling with salt will be painful and undesirable.

If we compare the consequences, then the fool will gnash teeth and the wise will be grateful. Or, the Son will not resent the chastisement but the ******* child will gnash teeth when the salting with fire commences.

Is this not how we are to keep our peace by being the salt in every situation? Aren’t our words and thoughts and deeds our works? If we expose a fool with a salty response will that fool not be exposed. If we expose a wise person with a salty response will not that wise person be grateful.

Should we withhold salt in order to sound sweet all the time? Ray doesn’t. Jesus didn’t……neither did Paul. I believe that the answers we see Ray giving to his detractors and to those who hate the word of God, is as salt in the context of the life of the person. Hey….just one e-mail with salt from Ray may be all they ever get in this life time!

Peace to you

SandyFla

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 01:24:52 PM »

Some people shouldn't eat salt at all, like those who have high blood pressure.

Q: What's the significance of that?
A: Maybe some people should stay away from us! LOL  :D  (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) :)

Sandy

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 01:35:42 PM »

Sandy,

I had thoughts about that, but I am glad you had the guts to post that.  Here's to two people thinking alike.  I drink to that  [NOTE:  sprite that is.  Alchohol is way to early in the morning for that.]

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »

Hello Sandy and Anne

Some people shouldn't eat salt at all, like those who have high blood pressure.

;D  ;D

Good one Sandy!....still....what about salt? If some one has high blood pressure should we be guilt tripping if we are salty?

Like if we are the light and some one needs dark glasses to stay comfortable, should we carry the dark glasses just in case we meet some one with light sensitive eyes or who enjoys darkness instead of light?

I am sure that many of the e-mails that are sent to Ray are from weak eyed high pressured holier than thou persons who prefer darkness instead of light and who have high blood pressure when it comes to demonstrating their approval of Hell and that we who do not follow them are ear marked for eternal damnation.

Will Christ find much faith when He returns? NO.

How do we apply our salt? Have you ever thought about whether or not you might be salty to someone?

Some one just phoned me now to tell me that they have been listening to a person who claims to have experienced Hell and Heaven. You know the type…they saw Jesus and Jesus told them and showed them etc and then low and behold a book is published! I replied that if some one takes LSD has a trip and comes back to publish a book on what they saw, that I would not be one to believe or agree or endorse such idiocy. I would not buy the book either!  I asked for scriptures on what this person was teaching and of course there were non because their teaching is out of their imagination that raises itself up against the true knowledge of God.

I think that my response was the salty answer....We agreed to disagree without hostility, grievance or umbrage but with acceptance that we do not stand in the same insights and that THAT  can only be changed if and when God decides.

Not everyone however is so easy to accept diversity and differences. Many will throw away good will because of disagreement leaving in a huff of high blood pressure!  Should we be tolerant of evil or wickedness or blindness? I say no. We should be able to say what we think despite the high blood pressure or weak eyes of the party that would have us go into agreement with them at all costs and threaten to leave us if we do not agree with their errors.

Peace to you

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 04:22:26 PM by Arcturus »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.