bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite books  (Read 4980 times)

SandyFla

Favorite books
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »

Other than God's word, what are some of your favorite books?

In a now-closed thread, Swivel mentioned "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. I love that book! It describes the human race perfectly in that we are nothing outside of God's grace. We have nothing to offer Him to make Him love us, yet He does! Our own righteousness is as filthy rags to God. He gives us HIS righteousness.

I haven't read that book in years; I'll have to go dig it out. Thanks, Swivel, for the reminder! :)

Sandy

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: Favorite books
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 01:33:01 PM »

Sandy,

The Dune series, Harry Potter series, and the Diana Galbadon series.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hart4god

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:59:58 PM »

Hey,

I read a lot of Brennan Manning on my way to the forum and Bible Truths! I loved the Ragamuffin Gospel Visual edition more- it was concise and had fabulous edgy graphics. Has anyone read his other  books? "The Importance of Being Foolish" and "The Relentless Tenderness of Jeus"?

I loved Micheal Crighton's "State of Fear" even tho it was supposedly fiction it is an amazing social commentary.
and ok, I read and loved the DaVinci Code....the movie was pablum!

I love to read. but like most people I don't get to indulge in that luxury very often.

I dream of being on a beach with a stack of books and an cooler of ......lemonade? ( actually- pina coladas came to mind first!) That would be heaven to me in my flesh!

blessings-
judie h.

gmik

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »

Judi, you and I think alot alike :D

I just read all of Martin Zenders books and thought they were pretty good.  Not as deep as Ray but I thought they might help me help others.

I love old mysteries, the Agatha Christie type.  SandyFla you must have read all the Cat books about the twin Siamese......The Cat Who Could____.  Great!

I've read all the Harry Potters, Chronicles of Narnia (8 times), Lord of the Rings (5 times)

I like the Case for christ   the Case for Faith  the Case for Jesus   Case for creation    all good

But,,,,,I really can't get into much during the school year so I gorge in the summer.

Actually the most reading I've done in a year in a half  has been on BT and forum!!!

What do you think  Love not the World really means?  Hope it doesn't include books.

love,
gena

Michele

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 07:19:47 AM »

Wow, I also love Diana Gabaldon, All the Harry Potter books (which part of my family thinks is very bad but I've only had great enjoyment and inspiration from reading).  Lately I've been reading Rick Bragg books, very good.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »

Before I was led to Bible Truths, I read Tommy Tennys Finding Favour with the King. It is the story of Esther. It had some very good points in it. Excerpt….

....To some people outside the kingdom of God, the brand of Christianity they see on certain television shows and at the neighbourhood church on the corner must appear just as layered and protected as the Persian court. Too often they see preachers and priests as the “masters of the royal audiences,” passing judgment on who gets in and who doesn’t. Jesus is the real “Door,” the Master of the Audiences for all who would see the Father in heaven.….

After studying LOF and the many rich and true findings and revelations that are in Bible Truths, I was able to return to Tenny's book and was able to see where he was in error and how this was discreetly apparent through his writing.

Though Tenny writes a persuasively entertaining rendition of Esther, I could then see through into areas where he has not been inspired to recognize the Sovereignty of God nor does he express  understanding that we can do nothing without Christ, and that free moral agency doesn’t exist. For example he writes:

The Good News is that all may come to God at any time if they admit their wrongdoing and surrender their heart to Jesus Christ. In that instant, God adopts them

This statement would receive popular support among the "One minute give your heart to Jesus sinners prayer" that is  peddled out through TBN and God TV broadcasts appealing to those on the broad way. :D

So, if one reads Finding Favour with the King and you are able to discern and then spit out the errors, it makes for a fairly entertaining and well written view point that is not bad and has some if not many very well written insights. Suffice to say, I will not be re-reading the book through again after having been educated through Bible Truths.

I don’t enjoy error….don’t have much appetite to eat any either no matter how much it is disguised under appearance of good truthful writing!…I returned to this book only to review my opinion of it and in that it has been constructive to see by comparison how much I have learnt here in Bible Truths and to what extent I have been set free of popular worldly beliefs. I enjoyed reading the book the first time round. It was a great read....that I would not go so far as recommending because of the errors but would suggest as entertaining for those who can read between the lines. :D

It is also good for women who want to learn submission to thier husbands. Esther knew the protocal of submission and in that example this is a great story to read and embrace. ;D

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

hebrewroots98

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:58:36 PM »

(You had to ask.. ;.)  The two last books that I have read were: "HOW TO EAT FRIED GREEN WORMS", "MR POPPERS' PENGUINS", and today we are beginning to read "SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON" (Daniel is in a book club; which by the way, I will be leading the craft for the SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON book soon, so if anyone has any ideas on a craft, I would greatly appreciate it; so far we will be making telescopes out of paper towel tubes :-\

MY fav books are the following: (I do not enjoy reading anything that does not enhance my spiritual growth: I just get bored with anything else, b/c I feel like I am wasting my valuable time if I read anything other than biblically applied info...of course that is just me, call me boring ;))

FOSSILIZED CUSTOMS- shows where most of christian doctrines and American traditions came from.  (things you would never dream of are in this book.)

TOO LONG IN THE SUN-shows the history of where alot of the pagan gods (that are still alive in our culture today) have originated from.

PSEUDEPIGRAPHIA-about the Apocrypha books that weren't cannonized.

FOXES BOOK OF MARTYRS-how believers had to die/ were tortured for the name of Christ.

THE PEACE CHILD-how a missionary (from here in Lubbock) went to Papau New Guinne and tried to show the two opposing barbaric tribes (that were fighting each; and the winning tribe would get a newborn son as a gift from the loosing tribe and how the baby would be presented to the tribe leader by having all of his soldiers lstanding in a longl ine  and passing the child up the line while patting the belly and blessing  their new PEACE CHILD (=JESUS Christ; whom was then able to be taught to these barbarians) :D

DISPENSATIONAL TRUTHS-how the world was formed (supposedly.)

BIBLICAL HOLIDAYS- teaches the Feasts and Festivals of the Old Testament.

(I enjoy (and I used to watch alot) of videos that pertain to 'the truth' of God's word.  My alltime favorite video is: AMERICA'S OCCULT HOLIDAYS. (AMAZING)

- THE FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
-YENTLE (Barbara Striesand plays like she is a man just in order to learn Gods' Word.)

;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.