bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange & Useless Facts  (Read 7166 times)

hillsbororiver

Strange & Useless Facts
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:47:16 PM »

Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of the blue whale

Birds do not sleep in their nests. They may occasionally nap in them, but they actually sleep in other places.

The formula for cold cream has hardly changed at all in the 1,700 years since it was originally made by the Roman physician Galen.

Objects weigh slightly less at the equator than at the poles.
If the Earth was a non-rotating sphere, it would show equal gravitational values (values of g) at any point on its surface. However, the Earth is not spherical but elliptical, with a greater radius at the equator than at the poles. As a result, one might expect gravitational readings to be lower at the equator than at the poles. And, because the Earth is rotating, there is a tendency for objects to be thrown away from the Earth. This tendency is greatest at the equator and zero at the poles, reducing the gravitational attraction.

After Albert Einstein had been at Princeton for some months, local news hounds discovered that a twelve-year-old girl happened to stop by the Einstein home almost every afternoon. The girl's mother hadn't thought to ask Einstein about the situation until the newspapers reported it, but when she got the opportunity after that she did so. What could her daughter and Einstein have in common that they spent so much time together? Einstein replied simply, "She brings me cookies and I do her arithmetic homework."

One of the movie moguls the Marx Brothers had to deal with was Irving Thalberg of MGM. Purposefully or not, Thalberg had the annoying habit of making people wait outside his office for extended periods of time. One time he kept the Marx Brothers longer than they liked. When he finally got around to seeing them, he discovered they were stark naked outside his doorway, roasting potatoes in the lobby's fireplace. It was the last time he kept them waiting.

In 1500 B.C. in Egypt a shaved head was considered the ultimate in feminine beauty. Egyptian women removed every hair from their heads with special gold tweezers and polished their scalps to a high sheen with buffing cloths.

In ancient China and certain parts of India, mouse meat was considered a great delicacy.

In ancient Greece, where the mouse was sacred to Apollo, mice were sometimes devoured by temple priests.

In the United States, a pound of potato chips costs two hundred times more than a pound of potatoes.

Experiments conducted in Germany and at the University of Southampton in England show that even mild and incidental noises cause the pupils of the eyes to dilate. It is believed that this is why surgeons, watchmakers, and others who perform delicate manual operations are so bothered by noise. The sounds cause their pupils to change focus and blur their vision.

According to many language experts, the most difficult kind of phrase to create is a palindrome, a sentence or group of sentences that reads the same backward and forward. 5 examples:

1 Ma is as selfless as I am.

2 Nurse, I spy gypsies. Run!

3 A man, a plan, a canal - Panama.

4 He lived as a devil, eh?

5 Red rum, sir, is murder.

Tibetans, Mongolians, and people in parts of western China put salt in their tea instead of sugar

iris

Re: Strange & Useless Facts
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:19:30 PM »

Hi Joe,

I found the fact about potato chips very interesting.

Its probably the most popular food in America, if not,

it would come close.

Sounds like someone is making a lot of money!!! :D

Iris

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »

Yes Iris,

I was thinking along the same line when I discovered that potato chip fact, "I got into the wrong business!"

Peace,

Joe

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »

Joe,

I liked the one about Albert Eienstien.  I also liked the first fact about the elephant weighing less than a whale's toungue.  Now that is amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:12:01 PM »

Anne,

You are very welcome, trivia and little known facts or events have always been interesting to me, I bet you would have never guessed! :D

Joe

More..........

A duck's quack doesn't echo and no one knows why.

American car horns beep in the tone of F.

No piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times.

A Boeing 747s wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

Pearls melt in vinegar. (Could this have some spiritual significance?)

longhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »

Credit cards, women, and shopping malls can break a bank account.

Longhorn

John

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 11:20:11 PM »

I love the palindromes.

My daughter is determined that she will beat the 7 fold sheet of paper thingy, hehe.  :)

Thanks Joe,

Peace,
John

John

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 11:28:06 PM »

Although it aint very pretty when you get'er done, we took a standard size page from the local Sunday paper and managed to sqeeze out 8 folds. Whew!  :)

Peace,
John

iris

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:36:08 AM »

I think it depends on how you fold the paper.  ;D

I got 12 folds out of a sheet of paper!  :D  ;D  ::)  ;D

Iris

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 08:24:18 AM »

Correct Iris,

Every fold decreases the size by half again where all 4 corners line up at every fold.

Try it now.  ;)

Now who volunteers to round up a Blue Whale tongue, an Elephant and a scale?  ;D

Joe

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 12:41:53 PM »

Joe,

Not me.   ;D

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hebrewroots98

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 12:12:24 PM »

I don't think that I could have lived back in Egypt when women were shaving their heads; I have very thick and long hair and alot of it :o  That would hurt wayyyyyy tooooo much. :'( :'(

Kepp it coming Joe, thanks :D

Mickyd

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »

Hi Joe,

I found the fact about potato chips very interesting.

Its probably the most popular food in America, if not,

it would come close.

Sounds like someone is making a lot of money!!! :D

Iris

Yeah...concidering that Frito-Lay makes 9 out of the top 10 brands sold in the U.S.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 08:12:36 PM »

I don't think that I could have lived back in Egypt when women were shaving their heads; I have very thick and long hair and alot of it :o  That would hurt wayyyyyy tooooo much. :'( :'(

Kepp it coming Joe, thanks :D

Okay, you asked for it;  8)

There is no record of the ASPCA coming to the aid of a Eureka, California woman who was thrown in jail not long ago for disrobing in a grocery store and sitting on some pheasant eggs in an effort to hatch them.

Warning: THE PRACTICIONER, a British medical journal, has determined that bird-watching may be hazardous to your health. The magazine, in fact, has officially designated bird-watching a "hazardous hobby," after documenting the death of a weekend bird-watcher who became so immersed in his subject that he grew oblivious to his surroundings and consequently was eaten by a crocodile.

The coastal town of Picoaza, Ecuador, was in the midst of a very boring election campaign when a foot deodorant manufacturer came out with the slogan "VOTE FOR ANY CANDIDATE, BUT IF YOU WANT WELL-BEING AND HYGIENE, VOTE FOR PULVAPIES." Then on the eve of the voting, a leaflet reading: "FOR MAYOR: HONORABLE PULVAPIES" was widely distributed. In one of the great embarrassments of democracy, the voters of Picoaza elected the foot powder by a clear majority; Pulvapies also ran well in outlying districts.

THE MOST UNUSUAL CANNONBALL On two occasions, Miss 'Rita Thunderbird' remained inside the cannon despite a lot of gunpowder encouragement to do otherwise. She performs in a gold lamébikini and on one of the two occasions (1977) Miss Thunderbird remained lodged in the cannon, while her bra was shot across the River Thames.

THE NOISIEST BURGLAR. A burglar in Paris set new standards for the entire criminal world, when, on November 4, 1933, he attempted to rob the home of an antique dealer. At the time he was dressed in a 15th-century suit of armour which dramatically limited his chances both of success and escape. He had not been in the house many minutes before its owner was awakened by the sound of the clanking metal. The owner got up and went out on to the landing where he saw the suit of armour climbing the stairs. He straightaway knocked the burglar off balance, dropped a small sideboard across his breastplate, and went off to call the police. During police questioning a voice inside the armour confessed to being a thief trying to pull off a daring robbery. "I thought I would frighten him," he said. Unfortunately for our man, the pressure of the sideboard had so dented his breastplate that it was impossible to remove the armour for 24 hours, during which period he had to be fed through the visor.

During Abraham Lincoln's campaign for the presidency, a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat named Valentine Tapley from Pike County, Missouri, swore that he would never shave again if Abe were elected. Tapley kept his word and his chin whiskers went unshorn from November 1860 until he died in 1910, attaining a length of twelve feet six inches.

hebrewroots98

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

Thanks Joe,
 ;D ;D ;D  Ha Ha; too funny and weird.

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »

Joe,

I liked the one where the guy got eaten by the crocodile. I bet before losing consciousness, he probably was thinking, man this is such a crock.   ;D

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.