bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redeeming Tithe  (Read 5192 times)

jamesnw

Redeeming Tithe
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »

I searched the forum, but found nothing on this: In regards to redeeming the tithe (Lev 27:31), I've run into some people that interpret this as meaning this:
"if you borrow [not give] the money that the tithe was converted to, then you add 20%" The reasoning is that, why on earth would someone give tithe as cash only to end up adding 20%? Of course, the person would just give the 10%. What motivation would there be to give 10%+20%? The only other reason is to borrow it, not to give it.

Just wanted to hear other ideas on this, thanks.

Kat

Re: Redeeming Tithe
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:30:37 PM »

Hi jamesnw,

The thing is that scripture is during the old covenant, when tithing was a law of Moses. 
So whatever these people you know come up with about the tithe, it still is unscriptural.

Here is an email where Ray shows it was only under the old covenant.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3101.0.html  ---------

Dear Mashilo:
Well he might just as well have quoted the tithing law from the Old Testament, because when Jesus told those two-faced lying hypocritical generationl of snakes that they were obligated to tithe it was because they were UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES and the Old Covenant with its temple services and Levitic Priests. ALL JEWS were obligated to tithe as long as they were under the Old Covenant of Moses and the Temple and priesthood was still in operation. But Jesus NEVER told anyone to tithe to HIS CHURCH! Nor did the apostles teaching tithing to Jesus' Church, neither did Paul teach the Gentiles to tithe to Jesus' Church. Those are the Scriptural facts, but Christian tithing ministers are not interested in the facts, but only your MONEY.
God be with you,
Ray
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it really doesn't matter how they decide to use their money, it's theirs to do as they choose  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

jamesnw

Re: Redeeming Tithe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »

Thanks, I knew all that already. Some people I meet say "It's the principle to give your first, not the law". I am also aware that you cannot turn "Principle" into a "Commandment" or "personally interpreted" scripture - especially if man does it. I was just curious about the proper interpretation of the specified scripture itself - about what it most likely means - most likely what was meant to be said at the time. :)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:23:15 PM by jamesnw »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.