bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tithing  (Read 5695 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Tithing
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »

Dear  Ray ,

Thank you for your teaching on tithing.  I wanted to ask just a quick question about Matthew 23:23.

Matthew 23:23

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

I noticed that when you quote this passage on your web site you leave off the last sentence.  Does this last sentence teach that Christ thought the Pharisees should have been giving a tithe?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Shad

Dear Shad:

I wish I had a dollar every time someone said that I said something that I didn't, or that I didn't say something that I did.

From my tithing paper, under the Caption: "THE ONLY TWO EXAMPLES JESUS USED OF TITHERS, you would have read this, had you read it at all:

"But WOE [deep distress, misery, grief, misfortune, calamity, sorrow, dismay] unto you Pharisees ! For ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs [some had farms; some had gardens], and pass over JUDGMENT and the LOVE OF GOD: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Luke 11:42).

Note: "...these ought ye to have done, and NOT TO LEAVE THE OTHER [TITIHING] UNDONE."

God be with you,

Ray

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Tithing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »

Dear Ray,

Thank you.  I do see that you quoted the entire passage of Luke 11:42 in your tithing paper.  (I had been reading a response, not the tithing paper.)  I’m sorry.  I did not mean to offend you.  I was trying to be respectful and I was just wondering if you thought Jesus expected the Pharisees to tithe.  

Sincerely,

Shad
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.