bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does God...  (Read 5730 times)

Sorin

Does God...
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:56:24 PM »

use sickness to punish for sins? I think He does, and I think that's the reason why I'm not so healthy anymore. What are your thoughts?

Martymonster

Re: Does God...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:32:57 PM »

I think you would be right, except better word for it would correct, chastise, prune, dissipline etc.

I would also be right there with you Sorin as far as not being so healthy goes!

In my case I think He is using it as a way to humble me.

given that everything the Lord does is sybolic and has a spiritual significance attached to it, try and think about it from that point of view to see what He's saying to you, ask Him to show you!

YellowStone

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:39:15 PM »

Sorin asked:

Does God use sickness to punish for sins? I think He does, and I think that's the reason why I'm not so healthy anymore. What are your thoughts?

Sorin, this is a good question. I believe that God has used sickness as punishment for sin in the past, but does not necessarily do so today.

Although the Scriptures do not specifically tie sickness to the fall of man, I think a very strong argument for it can be made with the Scripture below.

Gen 3:16-19  
  • 16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
  • 17  And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed [is] the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat [of] it all the days of thy life;
  • 18  Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
  • 19  In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou [art], and unto dust shalt thou return.

Below is a listing of all the uses if the word sickness in the King James. It would appear that God did punish some with sickness, but for the most part the sickness resulted by the falling of man from God. I did find an interesting discovery. The only mention of sickness in the Greek Scriptures was of Jesus Healing and NOT punishing.

This will likely be an interesting study. I look forward to the comments of others to your question.

Scriptures regardingusing the word Sickness (note not the word sick)

Exd 23:25 And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lev 20:18 And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deu 7:15 And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all [them] that hate thee.

Deu 28:61 Also every sickness, and every plague, which [is] not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

1Ki 8:37 If there be in the land famine, if there be pestilence, blasting, mildew, locust, [or] if there be caterpiller; if their enemy besiege them in the land of their cities; whatsoever plague, whatsoever sickness [there be];

1Ki 17:17 And it came to pass after these things, [that] the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him.

2Ki 13:14 Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness whereof he died. And Joash the king of Israel came down unto him, and wept over his face, and said, O my father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof.

2Ch 6:28 If there be dearth in the land, if there be pestilence, if there be blasting, or mildew, locusts, or caterpillers; if their enemies besiege them in the cities of their land; whatsoever sore or whatsoever sickness [there be]:

2Ch 21:15 And thou [shalt have] great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day.

2Ch 21:19 And it came to pass, that in process of time, after the end of two years, his bowels fell out by reason of his sickness: so he died of sore diseases. And his people made no burning for him, like the burning of his fathers.

Psa 41:3 The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

Ecc 5:17 All his days also he eateth in darkness, and [he hath] much sorrow and wrath with his sickness.

Isa 38:9 The writing of Hezekiah king of Judah, when he had been sick, and was recovered of his sickness:

Isa 38:12 Mine age is departed, and is removed from me as a shepherd's tent: I have cut off like a weaver my life: he will cut me off with pining sickness: from day [even] to night wilt thou make an end of me.

Hsa 5:13 When Ephraim saw his sickness, and Judah [saw] his wound, then went Ephraim to the Assyrian, and sent to king Jareb: yet could he not heal you, nor cure you of your wound.

Mat 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Mat 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

Mat 10:1 And when he had called unto [him] his twelve disciples, he gave them power [against] unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

Jhn 11:4 When Jesus heard [that], he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 10:44:56 PM »

I think you would be right, except better word for it would correct, chastise, prune, dissipline etc.

I would also be right there with you Sorin as far as not being so healthy goes!

In my case I think He is using it as a way to humble me.

given that everything the Lord does is sybolic and has a spiritual significance attached to it, try and think about it from that point of view to see what He's saying to you, ask Him to show you!

Marty,

You bring up a good point. I cannot begin to tell you how much better I am feeling health and life wise since finding the truth here at Bible Truths. My wife has been out of hospital for over 15 months after about 30 extended stays over 8 years. I can only attribute this to God, for there is almost (almost) :) no stress and worry where not long ago, our life was nothing but.

I am not saying for a moment that we are any better than anyone else, just what has happened to us.

Love,
Darren

rocky

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »

I'm thinking the answer might be in these verses. 

Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:20  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Rom 7:23  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom 7:25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom 8:10  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Our flesh, our bodies (dust plus spirit=soul) is where sin resides.  The wages of sin is death.  Our bodies/soul will suffer death, sickness because of sin.  But thank God, our inward mind, the mind of Christ is renewed day by day. 

sj

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:03:48 AM »

God using sickness to punish sin, still assumes that God is reacting to our actions.

Sickness is one of God's tools He uses to educate us through his chastising. 

Perhaps one could say, sickness is a set consequence to help us to LEARN to stir clear of certain actions.

God's Peace.
Josh

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 02:31:09 AM »

Hi,

I believe God can use anything to chastise even blessings?  What do you think on that?

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Robin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:11:50 AM »

I believe that God uses everything to mold us into his image. He uses what I need. What I need might not be what everyone else needs. What I need might change according to what he is working on in me. I've had fiery trials of all different shapes and sizes. I know that all of it is just what I need. I am learning obedience through suffering. The lessons get harder and harder.

Hebrews 12:11
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

1 Peter 4
 1Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. 2As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

12Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18And,
   "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
      what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"[a]
 19So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

TimothyVI

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:56:46 AM »

Many of the posts above explain some of the scriptural  reasons that you may be suffering illness, but because of sin is not one of them.

Jhn 9:2  And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

Jhn 9:3  Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Illness can allow the works of God to be manifest in you. Not always necesarily by healing only. Sometimes having other people witness the way that a person handles sickness will display an inner strength in them that comes from God, thus glorifying God.

I will pray for you sorin, that it is God's will that you receive His strength and healing of the diss- ease that you are suffering at this time.

Tim

rocky

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 11:27:38 AM »

I'm thinking there is a difference between committing sins (the fruits of Sin), and Sin.  I think sickness is because of Sin, the body of death, in our members.  All flesh has to die, and this is due to illness/sickness.   

Kat

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 02:03:48 PM »

This is an interesting discussion.
Here is an email from on this subject.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2862.0.html -------------------

Sickness
« on: December 28, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »     

Who makes people sick God or satan?  Preachers say God is all powerful but then give satan all the credit when something bad happens.

Dear Reader:
    I can give you the simple answer, but few there be who [1] believe it or [2] understand it.
    "ALL is of God," but God never lies, never temps people, and never causes people to sin.
    Men lie, and men are tempted by their own lusts, and men sin VOLUNTARYILY from their heart.

Yes, Satan causes disease, Luke 13:16, but only becuase it is in God's plan and purpose that there
    be disease in the first place.
    God be with you,
    Ray
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke 13:11  And there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself.
v.15  Then the Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it away to water it?
v.16  And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?"

mercy, peace, and love
Kat
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.