bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the tower of Babel symbolic of the religious church world?  (Read 10114 times)

Kat

Re: Is the tower of Babel symbolic of the religious church world?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »

Hi Joey,

Talking about tongues got me to thinking.

I agree that among believers we understand each other and it's a foreign language to the world.

When the elect are brought into the kingdom they will be given all the gifts of the Spirit.
So the elect will speak with tongues and I guess have a pure language, or all languages.
That's how they will commuicate with all the people in the resurrection of the dead.

Just a little thought I had.

mecry, peace, and love
Kat

hillsbororiver

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »

Kat,

The wonders of His Word, truth found in so many layers on so many levels, it is awesome to contemplate.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe 

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »

1Peter 2 : 4 Come to Him then, to that Living Stone which men tried and threw away, but which is chosen and precious in God's sight. 5. Come and, like living stones, be yourselves built into a spiritual house, for a holy dedicated,consecrated priesthood, to offer up those spiritual sacrifieces that are acceptable and pleasein g to God through Jesus Christ.

John 17 : 21 That they all may be one, just as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be one in Us, so that the world may believe and be convinced that You have sent Me.

Peace in fellowship ;D

Arcturus

hillsbororiver

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »

While contemplating this thread I was reminded of the many references to "obelisks" in some translations, King James and others read either "columns" or "pillars" but obelisks are a better description or should I say gives a more textured, insightful meaning to certain verses.

First off here is a definition/description of an obelisk;

History of the Egyptian Obelisks

The obelisk, called TEJEN in the sacred language of the ancient
Egyptians, was a term which was synonymous with "protection" or "defense."  The needle of stone had the function of perforating the clouds and dispersing negative forces that always threaten to accumulate, in the form of visible storms
or invisible ones, and was placed over the temple as a symbol of a petrified ray. 

The word "Obelisk" comes from the Greek obeliskos, meaning a prong for roasting.  It is a stone that is frequently monolithic, of a quadrangular base, placed upright and ending with a  pointed top. It was placed in the center of large open spaces in the temples of the solar god RA.   They arose, by the time of the predynastic period cults, to a great sacred stone which was raised in the Temple of Heliopolis, the "City of the Sun."  As with the pyramids, this monument had a primitive  relation with the solar cult.

As a general rule, obelisks were erected in pairs and served to magically protect the temple.
The obelisk is composed of two parts:the body and the pyramidon.  The body is a long block of a conic trunk section and the pyramidon symbolizes the rays of the sun.  The top is the point of a pyramid formation which crowns the monolith and rested on a base.  It was plated in gold, a metal which the Egyptians affirmed was the "flesh of the gods."

Now this from;

Exodus 34 (Ampilfied)

12Take heed to yourself, lest you make a covenant or mutual agreement with the inhabitants of the land to which you go, lest it become a snare in the midst of you.

13But you shall destroy their altars, dash in pieces their pillars (obelisks, images), and cut down their Asherim [symbols of the goddess Asherah];

14For you shall worship no other god; for the Lord, Whose name is Jealous, is a jealous (impassioned) God,

15Lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and when they play the harlot after their gods and sacrifice to their gods and one invites you, you eat of his food sacrificed to idols,

16And you take of their daughters for your sons, and their daughters play the harlot after their gods and make your sons play the harlot after their gods.

17You shall make for yourselves no molten gods.

18The Feast of Unleavened Bread you shall keep. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, in the time of the month of Abib; for in the month of Abib you came out of Egypt.

And;

2 Chronicles 31:1

NOW WHEN all this was finished, all Israel present there went out to the cities of Judah and broke in pieces the pillars  or obelisks, cut down the Asherim, and threw down the high places [of idolatry] and the altars in all Judah and   Benjamin, in Ephraim and Manasseh, until they had utterly destroyed them all. Then all the Israelites returned to their own cities, every man to his possession.

I remember Ray touching on this subject and him pointing out the similarity to what one may see when looking up at a roof of a church building, this pointed pillar/obelisk reaching into the sky.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

joyful1

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »

Seems to me that the church indeed is symbolized by the tower of Babel in MANY ways!

And it goes to show just how far God went to "keep the truth from us!" because-- seeing and hearing the truth would have led us to eternal life....but not in the ORDER that He intened!!

The church had several official languages at first; Hebrew, Greek, Aaramaic and Latin....but later we  translated the Bible into nearly every single language on earth! (over 1200 !)

And in every denomination, as many here have pointed out....you get an entirely different take on what the Bible means....and on what "our founding fathers" in the church meant.....and on what Jesus "REALLY" said....and so on and so forth!  Confusion! Babel! Incredible!

Joyce :)

waltersfield

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »

Don't forget the other key element of this time period - Nimrod. He was like the Pope and President of Babel and the tower. What does he represent?
The book of Jasher is an interesting (albeit, non-scriptural) book that lends some interesting insight on this topic. Worth a read if you have the time.

Joey Porter

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 12:16:42 AM »

Thanks to everyone for helping to add further in depth wisdom on this topic.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.