bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Counting the cost  (Read 6848 times)

Kat

Counting the cost
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »

While reading in Ray's Lake of Fire series, I came across this about counting the cost.
I wanted to bring it forward, as it is of significant to all of us here.

http://bible-truths.com/lake12.html ----------------------------------------------------------------------

COUNTING THE COST

God has already outlined a training course for those who would be Sons and Daughters of God. It involves a whole lot more than just enunciating a phrase of faith in Jesus. Acknowledging Jesus as your Saviour is certainly the starting point, but it is far from the complete requirement for those who would reign with Jesus as Judge, Lord, Priest and King. Here are just a few of the things that God requires of us. There are, of course, dozens, even HUNDREDS more declarations and admonitions to those who would become manifest Sons and Daughters of our God and Father:

1."LOVE your enemies, BLESS them that curse you, DO GOOD to them that hate you, and PRAY for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you [Why?]; that ye may be the children [Greek: ‘SONS’] of your Father which is in heaven" (Matt. 5:44-45)!

2."Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, DO YE EVEN SO TO THEM: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matt. 7:12).

3."For I say unto you, That except YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL EXCEED righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in NO CASENO CASE enter into the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:20).

4."Then said Jesus unto His disciples, If any man will come after Me, let Him DENY HIMSELF, and TAKE UP HIS CROSS, and FOLLOW ME" (Matt. 16:24).

5."Jesus said unto him, You shall LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind… YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets" (Matt. 22:37-40).

6."And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall ENDURE UNTO THE END, the same shall be saved" (Matt. 24:12-13).

7."Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, IF YE CONTINUE IN MY WORDIF YE CONTINUE IN MY WORD, then are ye my disciples indeed" (John 8:31).

8."Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but HE THAT DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER which is in heaven" (Matt. 7:21).

9."COME OUT OF HER [Mystery Babylon the Great and all of her evil teachings], My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues" (Rev. 18:4).

10."My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of Him. For whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives. IF YOU ENDURE CHASTENING, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chastens not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye ********, and not sons" (Heb. 12:5-8).

11."Beloved think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as YE ARE PARTAKERS OF CHRIST"S SUFFERINGS; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy" (I Pet. 4:12-13).

12."That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it BE TRIED WITH [SPIRITUAL] FIRE, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ" (I Pet. 1:7).

13."LOVE NOT THE WORLD [that is the social system of this world, we are to love the people of the world], neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (I John 2:15-16).

14."I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a LIVING SACRIFICE, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And BE NOT CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD: but be ye transformed by the RENEWING OF YOUR MIND, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" (Rom. 12:1).

15."But Jesus called them unto Him and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But IT SHALL NOT BE SO WITH YOU: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister [servant]" (Matt. 20:25-26).

16."Let nothing be done through strife or vain glory; but in lowliness of mind let each ESTEEM OTHERS BETTER THAN THEMSELVES" (Phil. 2:3).

17."Let this MIND BE IN YOU, which was also in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:5).
"SUBMIT yourselves therefore to God. RESIST the devil, and he will flee from you. DRAW NIGH to God, and He will draw night to you. CLEANSE your hands, ye sinners; and PURIFY your hearts, ye double minded" (James 4:7).

18."REPENT ye, and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15).

19."For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but ALSO TO SUFFER FOR HIS SAKE" (Phil. 1:29).

20."But I say unto you, That ye RESIST NOT EVIL: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" (Matt. 5:39).

21."Then said Jesus unto him, PUT UP AGAIN YOUR SWORD into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword" (Matt. 26:52).

22."For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die, but if ye through the Spirit do MORTIFY THE DEEDS OF THE BODY, ye shall live" (Rom. 8:13).

23."WALK IN THE SPIRIT, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh" (Gal. 5:16).

I know that it sounds overwhelming that we should actually live by all of these commandments. And actually, there are many more like commandments in God’s Word. How are we to perform all these impossible tasks? Well certainly not by our own will and power.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many points to be considered, and many more also,
and I need to constantly remind myself of just what it is that I need to be doing  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: Counting the cost
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 02:58:11 AM »

Kat,

Thanks I needed to hear this as it relates to the topic that I will be posting soon.  Thanks for posting this.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

PKnowler

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 03:43:32 AM »

Thanks for sharing those scriptures Kat. Those are some good ones to meditate on.

And I appreciate you reminding us that it is not by our own will and power.
Praise God for that!

~Paula  :)

Kat

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »

Hi Paula,

Yes that is a very big point, it is only by Him in us,
that is it possible for us to meet any of the requirements at all.
This is an email of Ray's that farther states we must have Christ in us..

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2202.0.html-----------------------------------------------

I will make a few COMMENTS to your questions.............

Isnt there a difference in trying to live as Jesus wants us to, as apposed to Christ living in us?

COMMENT:  Yes, there is a giant difference. "Trying to live as Jesus" is an exercise in futility.  Therefore, only "Christ living in us" can make living as Jesus wants us to, possible.  And these are not just spiritual "sounding" statements, but real truths.

I suppose if ever there was a man who literally "plucked out his eyes" as Jesus commanded, because he couldn't stop "lusting after women," probably regretted it for the rest of his life, inasmuch as now he could only IMAGINE what before he could ACTUALLY SEE.  See what I mean?

And also,  Do we allow Christ to live in us or do we desire Christ to live in us.  For me it is a desire that Christ's attitude and mind, the same as the Father's live in me.

COMMENT: We don't "allow" ANYTHING when it comes to God's sovereignty in our lives.  Sooner or later our "desires" must become reality, or nothing is accomplished but wishful thinking.

Lastly, if it is a desire that Christ live in us.  How can we keep that desire in our hearts. (I don't always find it there) knowing that even the desire that is in us has to come from the Father and that the desire is not of ourselves.  Sometimes I feel so helpless during this continuous battle Even now I feel guilty going to you with these question when I should be going to Christ.

COMMENT:  "Pray and Obey" is my most simple formula for successful living, but even these are "gifts of God." 

God be with you, Ray

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace, and love
Kat 

iris

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »

Hi kat,

Thanks for bringing these scriptures forward

to plant them in our minds more deeply.

We can't do all these things by ourselves,

but with God all things are possible.

Iris

YellowStone

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 03:13:44 PM »

Great post Kat,

How are we to perform all these impossible tasks? as Ray asked. (As if he needs to be told) :)

But for the rest of us we must trust God with all our hearts and never become pompous over the little we know.

For a very wise man wrote for our benefit:

Pro 3:5-6
  • 5. Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
  • 6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

This is how we will be able to perform these seemingly impossible tasks, because when God is within our hearts, they become mere bumps in our narrow road to salvation.

Mat 7:14
  • Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Love,
Darren
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:16:10 PM by YellowStone »

longhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »

After reading that, It gives the the word "Few Chosen" a whole new meaning.  That counts me out......if anyone needs to contact me in the next age, I will be in the Lake of Fire.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

rocky

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »

After reading that, It gives the the word "Few Chosen" a whole new meaning.  That counts me out......if anyone needs to contact me in the next age, I will be in the Lake of Fire.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

don't be so sure, the power of the cross is beyond your control.   :)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »

I enjoy the immediacy at which is was recognised through Paula and acknowledged by through you Kat and affirmed by you Iris that we can do nothing with out HIM. 

This is in direct contrast to Mystery Babylon that would have us become human "doings" not human "beings".  I believe this

IF the Lord is my Shepherd
I shall not lack
HE makes me lie down in pastures;
He leads me beside the still and restful waters
He refreshes and restores my life
He leads me in the paths of righteousness and right standing with HIM
....not for MY earning it but for HIS Name's sake
though I walk through the valley of the sahdow of death I will fear no evil for HE is with me
HIS ROD  and HIS STAFF comfort me
He prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies
He anoints my head with oil and my cup runs over
surely only goodness, mercy and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life and through the length of my days the house of the Lord shall be my dwelling place. (Adapted from Psalm 23)

And WHO decides IF THE LORD is my SHEPHERD? 

How wonderful it is that in this spiritual house we know very well WHO is dragging who! :D

.......there are 1,050 commands in the NT and without repetitions they classify under some 800 headings! :o

Some think that living by the Law of Moses was tough!  :D   We can only be according to HIS Will and plan and purpose for any of us! What a relief it is to be out of Mystery Babylon learning to become dependent on Grace through HIS faith a gift ! I feel much peace in having been released from the impression that I have to choose Christ and I have make myself be like HIM. ONLY HE can make us into HIS image and likeness!

Thanks for the thread Kat

Arcturus :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:04:23 PM by Arcturus »

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »

Arcturus,

Affirmations are a wonderul and powerful thing.  They can change an entire outlook on life and change the way and quality of life.  Thanks so much for sharing this.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »

Anne

It is a privilage to have these encouragements given to me to pass along. It blesses me so much!

All good things come from HIM. For me it is like recieving petals from a perfumed rose to give to HIS children in promise of HIS gifts and mercies that HE offers with open hands of love and peace, strength and wisdom.

Peace with you

Arcturus :)

DWIGHT

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 08:54:23 PM »

Hi All,

Have'nt posted for a couple of days.  Been sicker than a dog...still am, but this is such a good thread that I wanted to commend all of you for your answers.  Don't have much to say because of all of the cob-webs in my head but just keep going because it lifts my spririt.  Longhorn....you crack me up!

Love you all in Him,

Dwight

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »

Dwight

You're one of us Bro.

May He bless you in all your needs

Peace and concern

Arcturus

Kat

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 03:03:03 AM »

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the post, I was thinking about the verse you posted.

Mat 7:14  Because narrow is the gate and constricted is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

I read this so many times, but was looking farther into it.

Strong's
narrow G2346 thlibo - to crowd (literally or figuratively): - afflict, narrow, throng, suffer tribulation, trouble.

constricted G4728 stenos - narrow (from obstacles standing close about): - strait.  Websters - strict, rigorous, difficult, distressful.

find G2147  heuriskō - find, get, obtain, perceive, see.

Just a little more about this well known verse.

Hi DWIGHT,

Sorry to hear to are ill  :(
Hope you will be back up and going soon  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 17 queries.