bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "M" night?  (Read 3952 times)

jennie

"M" night?
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:27:12 PM »

I know this is a ridiculous question... but here goes. When we were enmeshed in the Baptist stuff there was a Sunday night called "M" night. Different churches came from specific areas of the county. Some choirs sang and they gave plaques and stuff for the most growth and baptisms and so on. I wasn't raised up in the Baptist so I was unfamiliar at the time. Michael told me it meant "Messenger Night" and churches had messengars that went to various meetings through the year. I still don't understand it. Aren't we all messengers? Isn't  it true that as followers we share our love of
Christ with others? Any help ... greatly appreciated as we are getting a little heat about this right now from some folks  in our area since we don't do this. Many of the churches (people in them) won't even speak to us. When it is brought up to me I want to know the right thing to say. Right now all I can say is what I feel... that plaques and all are a waste .
give the money the churches spend on such to help a child, a family , etc. Thanks ya'll again for sharing your "brain " power with me. Jennie

hillsbororiver

Re: "M" night?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »

Hi Jennie,

This came to mind as I was reading your post;

Mat 6:14  For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Mat 6:15  But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mat 6:16  Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:17  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

Mat 6:18  That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Mat 6:19  Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt and where thieves break through and steal:

Mat 6:20  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Mat 6:21  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

These type of displays, reward dinners and all in the church made me queasy even before I knew anything at all.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

brothertoall

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »

Jennie,

What I see and understand now about these plaques,awards and the like is putting someone or themselves above God. It is like they are taking the credit for what I did.

The scripture tells us that:

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

I will have to point the finger at me and remove the plank from my own eye for I was just like that! it was all I did and never giving the thank you to our Father for doing it in me.The thing is nothing I did in the name of religion ever prospered.

I will agree with you Jennie that that if more were done for the homeless and hungry instead of these dinners and tia chi classes,hollywood production concerts,plays and everything else the church uses their buildings for,it would be very pleasing to God instead of a piece of paper or wood with a brass plaque on it stating what so and so did.

The only place I want to see my own name now is in "THE BOOK OF THE LIFE"

bobby
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:48:08 AM by brothertoall »

gmik

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:54:45 PM »

Jennie, I was brought up Baptist but never heard of M night.

course, as Ken Copeland once said, there's more baptists than there are people!!! ;D

So many churches have races, games, prizes for the most (insert here).  My classroom kids will tell me if they bring someone to church Wed. nite they will get an ice cream  cone!!!

gena

jennie

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:57:13 PM »

I'm with Bobby on this one. I  only care about the book of life!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.