bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: for Arcturus  (Read 12883 times)

chuckt

for Arcturus
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »

longhorn

Re: for Arcturus
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »

Some things in life are certain, this being one of them.  I can almost promise you NOBODY from NASA is going to call out here at the farm and ask Longhorn to help design a more economical way to replace the heat sheilds on the space shuttle, but one thing I do know, according to these measurments, 50,800 km, the planet Arcturus pales in comparison to the size of "Uranus"

Love in Christ

Longhorn

longhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »

Now dangit, that was funny.

longhorn

longhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »

Thanks, I'll be here all week,,,, lest I think I will.  Dont forget to tip the waitress.

Longhorn

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 02:39:37 PM »

;D

Arcturus is a STAR, not a planet!

::)
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

chuckt

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »

Some things in life are certain, this being one of them.  I can almost promise you NOBODY from NASA is going to call out here at the farm and ask Longhorn to help design a more economical way to replace the heat sheilds on the space shuttle, but one thing I do know, according to these measurments, 50,800 km, the planet Arcturus pales in comparison to the size of "Uranus"

Love in Christ

Longhorn

why ya wanna go and confuse chuckt??? :P

longhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »

;D

Star,planet, rock, shoe,string,paper,ice,pudding,winter overcoat,pencil,window shade..... You eggi are a genius.

eggi

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »

;D

Happy to oblige! I know, it actually is a shoe.
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

longhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 06:02:01 PM »

;D

Happy to oblige! I know, it actually is a shoe.

Our country is much safer tonight.  Just  by chance, you dont have access to plutonium do you.

eggi

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »

Sorry, longhorn. Never heard of that. Is it a shoe?

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »

Eggi,

Plutoniom will light up the world and make things go boom in a big way.   ;D

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Brett

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »

DWIGHT

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »

Hi All,

We're kind of small aren't we? 

"And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree." Isa. 34:4

In His awesome power,

Dwight

gmik

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 09:12:12 PM »

Wow, was that cool.  I will use in my class since our next chapter is Our Solar System.  Thanks for that link.

gena

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »

That was a cool link.  Thanks for sharing this.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Sorin

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 11:55:26 PM »

;D

Hehe.  :D

Indeed.

Sorin

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »

And yes, that was a pretty cool link. Shows just how tiny we all are. The Universe is truly incredible! There's so much we need to learn.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 01:46:50 AM »

Hello Chuckt

You are an artist!

I had no idea that Arcturus was so BIGGGGGG! Eggi there may be something about being a BOOT in this not a shoe.

Longhorn...you are the salt of the earth my friend!...

Now for those of you who are interested, here is a short synopsis about my Forum name! Love to you all!

ARCTURUS (Alpha Bootis). Among the very brightest of stars, shining with a soft orange light, Arcturus lights northern spring skies. It is one of three luminaries that partition the northern sky into very rough thirds, the others being summer's Vega and winter's Capella. Of the three, Arcturus, the Alpha star of the constellation Bootes, the Herdsman, is slightly the brighter, making it the brightest star of the northern hemisphere and the fourth brightest star of the entire sky, following only Sirius, Canopus, and Alpha Centauri. Arcturus, the "Bear Watcher," follows Ursa Major, the Great Bear, around the pole, "arktos" being the Greek name for "bear," from which our word "arctic" is derived by reference with the constellation of the Greater Bear. Arcturus is located at a distance of 37 light years, and became famous when its light was used to open the 1933 world's fair in Chicago, as that light had left the star at about the time of the previous Chicago fair in 1893. It is a classic orange class K (K1) giant star with a precisely defined surface temperature of 4290 degrees Kelvin. To the eye, it shines 113 times more brightly than our Sun. Its lower temperature, however, causes it to radiate considerable energy in the infrared. When this infrared radiation is taken into account, Arcturus actually shines almost twice as brightly, releasing 215 times more radiation than our Sun, from which we find a diameter 26 times solar, about a quarter the size of Mercury's orbit. Arcturus is close and large enough so that its angular diameter of 0.0210 seconds of arc can easily be measured, leading to a very similar direct determination of 25 times the solar dimension and providing nice confirmation of stellar parameters. Arcturus has a velocity relative to the Sun that is higher than other bright stars. Compared with the set of surrounding stars, which orbit the Galaxy on more or less circular orbits, it falls behind by about 100 kilometers per second (as do several others of the "Arcturus Group"). The lagging movement has long suggested that the star comes from an older population of the Galaxy. Consistently, it is somewhat deficient in metals, having only about 20 percent as much iron relative to hydrogen as found in the Sun. A more intriguing suggestion is that the star actually comes to us from a small galaxy that merged with ours some 5 to 8 billion years ago. As a giant, weighing in at around 1.5 times the mass of the Sun, it has ceased the fusion of hydrogen in its core. Though it is somewhat brighter than we would expect for a stable helium fusing star, helium fusion to carbon has probably already begun. Such stars are not expected to have magnetic activity like the Sun, but very weak X-ray emission suggests that Arcturus indeed is magnetically active and has a hard-to-observe "buried corona."

hebrewroots98

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 03:34:56 AM »

Hey Longhorn, I think you should change your name to SIRIUS since you don't have a SERIUOS bone in your body ;) ;D  This fits you; the largest STAR out there!!!  You SHINE SO BRIGHTLY on this forum and in this family. 8)  lOVE TO YA, BROHTER :D

Arcturus, I think that there is some sort of hidden spiritual significance to you having chosen this same user name (ARCTURUS) for yourself;  It is a unique name indeed, care to share why you chose it?  Very intriguiging I think.  I can see you shining so brightly for the Lord whenever you come on the forum  8) :D   It fits you :D

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 04:36:19 AM »

Bear-watcher,

Let me know if you see any bears lurking around these hallowed halls of the forum and I will high tail it out of here.   ;D ;D ;D

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.