bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church?  (Read 5262 times)

nightmare sasuke

Church?
« on: April 05, 2006, 05:48:43 PM »

My local church has a pastor coming tonight that gives prophecies. I normally do not attend my church because they teach and believe many heresies, and my preacher is addicted to milk (as far as I can tell). However, my mother wants me to go to church tonight for the prophecies. I went for it a couple years ago, and (whether it was of God or not) both prophecies I received were fulfilled. The first predicted I would play an instrument. At the time I thought it was ridiculous, but then later I indeed did pick up a guitar. Another prophecy predicted I would be a preacher (or something of the likes) and my life seems to be moving in that direction, seeing as I spend 70% of my time studying Scriptures. However, I’m not sure if these prophecies were of God, or Satan. I know that they were part of God’s will, but I’m not sure if they are biblical.

What do you guys think? Has biblical prophecy been distorted just like biblical tongues? Do you think I should go?

Sonia

Church?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:55:07 PM »

You will have to decide that between yourself and God. A true prophet never makes a mistake--have ALL of his prophecies been true? Do his words line up with scripture, or do they contradict?  Is he in reality a Christian "fortune teller" sideshow kinda deal--designed to boost numbers and $$$? How much is he paid to do the show??

Most of all -- Who is exalted, God, or the man?

Sonia

nightmare sasuke

Church?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:05:35 PM »

Quote from: Sonia
You will have to decide that between yourself and God. A true prophet never makes a mistake--have ALL of his prophecies been true? Do his words line up with scripture, or do they contradict?  Is he in reality a Christian "fortune teller" sideshow kinda deal--designed to boost numbers and $$$? How much is he paid to do the show??

Most of all -- Who is exalted, God, or the man?

Sonia

This is going to be a new person, so I've never heard him speak, and have no idea. I was wondering what the biblical message on prophecy is in comparison to contemporary prophecy, though. Can you elaborate further?

Sonia

Church?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:37:01 PM »

One of the primary tests of a prophet--past or contemporary--are his words. Regardless of whether things come true or not, or miracles are worked--does he represent the true God, or is he leading you astray? See:

Deuteronomy 13
 1"If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder,

2and the sign or the wonder comes true, concerning which he spoke to you, saying, 'Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known) and let us serve them,'

3you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is testing you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

4"You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him.

5"But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has counseled rebellion against the LORD your God who brought you from the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of slavery, to seduce you from the way in which the LORD your God commanded you to walk So you shall purge the evil from among you.

compare:
Matt24:24 "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.

and:
I Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 21Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

Ezekiel 13 is good to read for more info on false prophets.

Also Micah 3:11
Its heads give judgment for a bribe;
   its priests teach for a price;
   its prophets practice divination for money;
yet they lean on the LORD and say,
   "Is not the LORD in the midst of us?
   No disaster shall come upon us."

For me, one of the main question is do they prophesy to glorify God, or themselves? Do they accept an unreasonable amount money for their services? [A small amount might be acceptable--to cover modest travel and lodging expenses--not private jets and luxury hotels.] Do they follow the example of the greatest of the prophets -- John -- and say "He must increase, and I must decrease."

There's my current understanding of the issue. I don't put much stock in today's self-proclaimed, self-exalting, high-dollar "prophets" but that's just my opinion. I see them developing a following for themselves--not pointing to Christ.

Sonia

EDIT: I should have mentioned James 1 also-- if you lack wisdom, ask God for it -- don't put your trust in  any man's opinion.

nightmare sasuke

Church?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:32:42 PM »

It's free, I know that much. But I'm sure they'll pass around a donation basket. However, they do not enforce it.

zander

Church?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 01:06:48 PM »

Its interesting.  The one and only prophecy i ever had at church, when i attended, on the sporadic occasions that i did, i am still waiting to see if it becomes fulfilled.  This was 4 years ago.  Certainly in that time, slowly there is some eerie progress toward it being fulfilled, but its too early to say.

undignifieddancer

Church?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 02:47:59 PM »

Nightmare,

I would just ask myself, "what is the difference between this dude and a fortune teller?"  To me there doesn't seem to be any difference except it is "dressed-up" as Christian.

Snake-oil city!!  Grab your check book and run for the hills!!  Why would God tell someone else about your future and not bother to tell you?  There is no one who speaks on your behalf but Jesus to the Father.

I don't know the verses and exact details but I do know that Jesus was able to do things like know that the woman at the well had 5 husbands and know that Peter would deny Him in the future...is this man the Christ?

Did Paul or Peter possess these gifts?  I don't think so.  So I'm guessing that this guy is quoting Old Testament as his bases for this ability.  I say Hogwash!  God communicated differently once we have the Christ...mainly becase the kingdom is fullfilled...we don't need "talked to."

Still new here guys so let me know if I'm coming off base here in any way.  But every goosebump on my body is telling me there is no way this is anything other than a scam.

Finally....how is this advancing the kingdom if it is real?  How does being told that you will play the guitar advance the story of salvation to those who have not yet heard?  Why would God even bother in pointless acts...it's so unlike Him... :lol:

Peace

Dan

Church?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:07:49 PM »

Sonia said:
Finally....how is this advancing the kingdom if it is real? How does being told that you will play the guitar advance the story of salvation to those who have not yet heard.?

EXACTLY Sonia is right

Listen again my friend

If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder,

2and the sign or the wonder comes true, concerning which he spoke to you, saying, 'Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known) and let us serve them,'

3you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is testing you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

This is what is happening, serving yourself IS serving other gods!!

God is testing you to see if you love the Lord, or if you love  the prophet who gets credit for his prophesy coming true,or guitars, or yourself, or the other prophesy that has not come true yet. or ...  

God is acknowledged when He(God) becomes greater and WE become lesser

Quote:
my preacher is addicted to milk

he is not your preacher

you do not need man to teach you the Spirit will teach you everything you need to know

I think the key to understanding a false prophet is not if he works for wages, for some may do it without charge, and not if it comes true or not , because even though not all of his prophesies come true, the ones we witness may come true.

The key to understanding a false prophet is :
"Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known) and let us serve them,'"

They(prophets) are not examples of humility, who die to their flesh.

They feed the flesh with gifts and "understanding", they exault the flesh as "other gods"
and they "serve them"(the flesh)

there are many things of the flesh we do not know are "gods"

Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known)

hope this helps,

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 16 queries.