bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jesus?  (Read 5716 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Jesus?
« on: January 28, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »

I have a few questions for you about Jesus.

1.  What was Jesus' real name?

COMMENT:  I don't know what you mean by His "real" name?  The oldest manuscripts we have are Greek. In the Greek manuscripts our Lord is called "Iesus," as the "J" sound was in use, but not the letter J. After 1500 they added the J to give His name the J sound--Jesus:  "...and you shall call His name JESUS ['Jehovah Saves']..." (Matt. 1:21).

2.  Are there any records other than the Bible describing Jesus?

COMMENT:  The Bible contains 27 books and letters that are all historical records recorded over a period of several decades and all of them contain information on Jesus. The famous Jewish Historian, Flavius Josephus records Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. There are other historical references to Jesus without using his name. I do not have a list of those on me at present, but you can find them in a search on the Internet.

3.  How long after Jesus' death were the Gospels written?

COMMENT:  Matthew, Mark, and Luke were written about 64 AD or about 30 years after Christ's resurrection. John was written maybe 20 years or more later.

If you could direct me to any resources or provide any insight, I would appreciate it

COMMENT:  There are tons of materials regarding the history of the first century AD. The canonization of the Scriptures, etc. You can spend the rest of your life on the Internet. I have materials on some of these subjects, but they are packed away in boxes where I wouldn't know how to lay my hands of them right now.
    God be with you,
    Ray.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.