bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spirit after death  (Read 7318 times)

operator

Spirit after death
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:11:32 AM »

I have read most of Ray's site and i am in agreement with all i have read, however, i am a little uncertain about what happens to the spirit after death.  I know the body is dead and the soul is "non-existent" , and the spirit goes back to God.  What is God doing with it???  Not that He needs to tell me but i am wondering if anyone can shed anymore light on the subject or give any scripture references.  Help.
By the way, my online name "operator" comes from the fact that i sat on a Catapillar tractor as an "operator" for many years, as well as, owned a few of them.

Thanks
Operator

hebrewroots98

Re: Spirit after death
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »

Operator,
(I used to be a phone operator, I wouldn't wish that job on anyone... :o)

I can't tell you what happens to the spirits that go back to God, but I would be interested to hear what the others have to say. 

I can only guess that since TIME is of no essence to God, then I would guess that He (in His timing) He will join our spirit with our new spiritual body once our body dies (in other words, since there is no waiting period of time TO GOD, then, once we humans die, then we won't skip a beat in getting into our new spiritual body. 

Just my thoughts... ;)

Kat

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 01:56:01 AM »

Hi Operator,

I'm glad you have come to the forum.
Well I can think of no safer place for my spirit to be,
while waiting the resurrection than with God.
I guess that's a simplistic answer, but that just how I see it.
Your questions are always welcomed  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

jerreye

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:20:40 PM »

Hi Operator, if you think of your "spirit" like you would the electricity that comes from your wall, I think it would make much more sense.

When God breathed this spirit/breath into Adam's nostrils, he THEN BECAME a LIVING soul at that very moment. When you plug tour TV into a wall (which has electricity), it THEN BECOMES ALIVE. When you unplug your TV from the wall, the electricity (spirit, if you will) quickly returns back into the wall, in which it came. What does the wall (power plant) DO with this "spirit/electricity"? Well, it just stores it until you replug your tv again (same thing will happen when God resurrects you from the dead...you will then be replugged!).

Does this help any? :)

God Bless,
Jeremy

jennie

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »

All I know is when my Granny was about 3 months from her death, we were talking and I asked her if she was afraid. She looked at me and smiled and said she didn't remember how things were before she was born and that she was just going back to the place she came from. She said she had no reason to fear and I believed her. She always worried about me. She knew some of the things I lived through and she and my Papa were the world to me. She was only afraid of how I would be when she left this life. On that last day I was sitting beside her on the bed and she was trying to smile at me. I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek and told her that it was okay and that I would be fine. Then she smiled , took a breath in and out and just that quickly she was gone.I felt blessed to be holding her hand when she left this world. Love to all, Jennie

DWIGHT

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:30:34 PM »

Hi Operator,

Welcome to the forum, we're glad you decided to post with us, and are looking forward to your fellowship.

Jn 3:6, That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.  As man we have a body, soul and spirit. The spirit is the place where God chooses to dwell.  It is from our spirit that He begins to transform our soul which contains our hearts and minds.  When we sleep, our spirit goes back with Him because He is in it.  It's kinda like coffee and cream, once you mingle them together you can never seperate them.  He is the Father of all spirits and as such all belong to Him.  When He comes again He will bring our spirits with Him and resurrect our souls and then give us an immortal body.  This is the first resurrection.

Without the spirit, the soul and body have no life.  There's alot more to this brother and I hope the other brothers and sisters can help with their insight.

In Him,

Dwight  

iris

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »

Hello Operator,

Welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to your fellowship.

Iris

PKnowler

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:51:01 PM »

Hi Operator,

Welcome to the forum! I can see why you'd pick that name. It's a good name for you.
 I hope your question has been answered. If not let us know.

Blessings, Paula  :)

li ying

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 07:39:08 PM »

hi operator:
 me too I am new in this forum, but I learn some very good lessons from the question others put in here, when I read your question I thought one verse from luke23:46 " And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." so our spirit after the death, will be like Jesus went to God's hand.. I hope I am not wrong, well this just my thought with this verse come to my mind..
  may God's peace and love with you

lots love and hugs in Jesus
                                         Li ying  :)

gmik

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »

Li Ying!!!  It is so nice to see you.  How beautiful you are!!  I am glad you quickly learned the buttons!

Since God is Spirit, it was just His Spirit to begin w/ that goes back to Him.  I don't think it is a physical question of what is it doing or what is God doing w/ it.  It is a part of him.

Hey Operator  where ya been????

longhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:33:56 PM »

Wasnt there a song in the 70's called Operator. ... I may be wrong...... Jim Croce? (spelling)  Anyway, gotta go..

Longhorn

rick

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 09:44:39 PM »

Operator, well, could you help me place this call
See, the number on the matchbook is old and faded
She's living in L.A. with my best old ex-friend Ray
A guy she said she knew well and sometimes hated

But, isn't that the way they say it goes
But let's forget all that
And give me the number if you can find it
So I can call just to tell them I'm fine and to show
I've overcome the blow
I've learned to take it well
I only wish my words could just convince myself
That it just wasn't real
But that's not the way it feels

Operator, well, could you help me place this call
'Cause I can't read the number that you just gave me
There's something in my eyes - you know it happens every time
I think about the love that I thought would save me

No, no, no, no, that's not the way it feels

Operator, let's forget about this call
There's no one there I really wanted to talk to
Thank you for your time, you've been so much more than kind
You can keep the dime

gmik

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »

Love that song!!

debbysnotary

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 10:26:19 PM »

love that song operator by jim croce too dont know if i spelled that right or not either. but i am wondering that myself what happens to our spirit when we die, i know it goes back to God but then what? we dont get our spiritual bodys till the ressurctione right? can someone lead me to the answers to this, i searched Rays site and i cant locate anything on what happens to our spirits? coz isnt that who we are? Im confused :-\ :-\

rick

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 10:52:32 PM »

I believe we are in a state of imperception until such time as God  rejoins our spirit to a spiritual body. death is a time of sleep? and rest? until the ressurection. but the wonder of it that we dont know we are dead and when we are quickened we will suddenly be awakened from what we remember as a 1 second nap. in a twinkling of an eye.

whatslifeallabout

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 09:31:07 PM »

Hello everyone!

Just returned from a couple weeks of dramatizing the messages of the Apostle Paul in Hong Kong.  Very fascinating place!

Here are some thoughts to consider:

"What is born of the flesh (normal birth) is flesh.  What is born of the Spirit (God's Spirit) is spirit.  Don't be surprised when I say that you must be born again". - Jesus

I see our body and soul as imperfect and prone to sin.  But I see the part of us that has been born of God as being PERFECT - born of the Father and created in the image of our big brother Jesus, the "beginning of a new (spiritual) creation".   

Our newly reborn spirit needs to grow, be fed the pure spiritual milk of the Word, and is protected by the Spirit of Christ Himself living inside of us - "Christ in you, the hope of Glory"; 

So our bodies and souls need to be offered as living sacrifices.  They need to be transformed by the renewing of our minds, etc. 

But spiritually those who are born again are a new creation, born of our heavenly Father God; and spiritually we start out as a newborn and ideally keep growing into the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ-- but at whatever stage we are at, we are perfect, in the image of His Son, so that Jesus might be the firstborn in a whole new family of brothers and sisters.

So I personally don't see the electricity analogy as being accurate, since we are each unique spiritually born children of God the Father. 

I agree with all those here who have been convinced from their own study of Scripture that we are asleep in the grave until the resurrection, rather than going immediately to be with Jesus as the church traditionally teaches. 

If we take the position that our body and soul sleep in the grave but that our spirit is just some kind of vague electrical force that "goes back to God" upon our death, it seems like that is a kind of strange compromise hybrid between what the church has been traditionally teaching (i.e. going to be with the Lord immediately upon death) and the position that "the Lord is going to descend from heaven with a shout; and with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God.  And the dead in Christ will rise first, and then we who remain until His return will then be caught up with him in the air; and thus we shall always be with the Lord."  If we accept that our spirit is just some vague "force", then what is the big deal about being spiritually reborn? 

If we accept that we are a unique spiritual creation (child) of God the Father created in the likeness and image of Jesus, and thus have consciousness and awareness AND we also maintain that we spiritually go to be with God immediately upon death, then we have that age old problem of what we are doing between now and the resurrection - living some kind of disembodied spirit life, waiting for and greeting newly arrived loved ones, watching what's going on on the earth on heavenly giant screen tvs, strumming harps, relaxing on the clouds, etc..

There is a Far Side cartoon that shows a number of people just relaxing around on clouds in heaven looking bored, and one guy is sitting there thinking "Wish I'd brought a magazine..."   :)

I think it makes sense that our spirit sleeps just as does our soul; and that all the time that takes place between when you die and when you are resurrected passes as a moment, whether that is for 5 years or 5,000 years, it will seem the same.

Warmly, Rob

gmik

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 07:57:30 PM »

Hey Rob, so glad you are back.  Missed ya!

I love the Far Side cartoons!!!

It takes time but hope you can backtrack on some really good threads.

DWIGHT

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 10:42:46 PM »

Hi Rob,

I'm glad your'e back too.  I really enjoyed your post and I really think that your'e right, but I have one thought just to go along with yours.  We know for sure that the body goes back to the dust and that the soul goes to the grave (hades..the unknown or imperceptible), so the question is about our spirit.

Jesus said, "that which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."  Meaning, that which is born of the Holy Spirit is the human spirit, right?  Much like the tabernacle in the wilderness that had the outer court, which represents the body, and the inner court, which represents the soul, and the holiest of all which represents the spirit, which is the only place where God would dwell.  This holiest of all is the place that only the high priest could sacrifice for the people once a year.  Again, an example of Christ being our High Priest.

I'm just wondering, that if our spirit is where Christ's Spirit dwells, then we die or sleep, it would go back to Him since He dwells in it.  God is the Father of all spirits and thus all belong to Him. 

Just some thoughts.

Your brother,

Dwight

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.