bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Amazing  (Read 5181 times)

Mickyd

It's Amazing
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:34:37 AM »

You know what's amazing to me? How the Bible is the most popular book on Earth, but at the same time the least read and the least understood.

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand." Matt 13:10-13[/b

The whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation is a parable. In knowing this, the truth is revealed only to whom it is given....and to whom it is not given, it's taken away even that which he has. Jesus is in the business of blinding the world...yet at the same time, he is the "Light of the World". That's the sharp two edge sword that proceeds from his mouth. The Law of Moses is the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for I would not have known sin if not by the Law. But the flaming sword placed in the garden that twist every way that blocks the way to the tree of Life... which is Christ and the New Testament is the word of God itself.

I stand in Aw of the spectacle that is the word of God...for it is truly of divine inspiration.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits." Matt 7:13-16

YellowStone

Re: It's Amazing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »

MickyD wrote:

The whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation is a parable.

[/b][/color]

Ummm, not sure if I agree with this. I do not believe that the story of Christ was/is a parable. This of course includes his human lineage from David.

So I would not go as far as saying the "whole" bible is a parable, just the teachings of Christ.

Moderators, if I am wrong on this, please correct me. :)

Love,
Darren

Robin

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »

God showed me that the bible was a parable many years ago. I only speak on what I've seen myself, but many of the parables of the old testament have been shown to me and there is still so much more to them that I can still learn.

The exodus from Egypt was the parable God used to teach me almost everything I learned on no free will and the sovereignty of God. The trees in the garden were very important. The story of Job showed me the inner working that God was doing within me. The proverbs were used to show me that I needed to leave the church along with other scriptures. The giving of the law showed me how sin springs to life in us when we are under the law and how utterly hopeless it is for us to try to deal with that in our weak flesh.

The comparison between the giving of the law and Pentecost took my breath away. The story of Joseph showed me how God used evil to fulfill his purpose. There are so many. It is all a wonderful mystery that God reveals through his parables. It is also beyond my comprehension how God causes actual real life stories to also show his mysteries down through the ages. There is no doubt that he is in control of every detail in our lives.

I can see some of the parables in the bible. I know there are many more that haven't been revealed to me yet. It took me 5 or 6 years just to learn the few I mentioned. I know that God teaches me using parables. I know it's not like that for everyone. God teaches my brother differently than he teaches me. It all fits together though.

Hugs,
MG

ciy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »

Great thread.

It came to me a couple of years ago that the bible is a parable about us getting the revelation of Christ.  I was an enthusiast on bible archaeology.  It was great when they found something with King David on it or the walls of Jericho, etc.  Then it came to me that it does not matter whether Moses, Jacob, David, etc ever existed at all it is all about me and my trek to find the truth of God's mystery.  I am Moses.  I am Jacob, or David, or Jonathan, or Saul, or Judas, and on and on.  It is all taking place in me.

May not be something that works with everybody but I see new parables in the bible all the time now.  I love the plan God has for us. 
CIY

gmik

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:44:51 PM »

I love hearing about so many of you knowing the truth BEFORE you came to Ray's site.  That gives me hope for people around the world.  The Lord can drag them to the truth.
They don't need a computer, or need to speak English, or need to find Ray.

I was a happy-go-lucky "christian", sort a minding my own business when my son and then I stumbled onto Ray's website.  I was "blown away" so to speak as this truth was all new to me (except way down deep I did say to myself "I knew it!!!!" about salvation for all).

:)

Joey Porter

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:41:44 PM »

I, too, believe that all literal events in the bible have a spiritual meaning.  Whether or not that makes the whole bible an actual "parable," I don't know.

While we're on the subject, here are some events in the scripture that I know have deeper meanings but I am blind and clueless as to what they mean. 

2 Kings 2
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

What a lovely little story that is.  But what is the significance of those numbers two and forty two?  It somehow relates to what is written in Revelation:

Revelation 11
3And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth."

Of course, 1,260 days is equal to forty two months as mentioned elsewhere in Revelation.  But how does the story of the two bears mauling the forty two youths relate to the two witnesses who prophesy for 42 months?

Here's another story that seems to have nothing to do with anything, but it obviously has some deeper spiritual meaning:

2 Kings 6
 1 The company of the prophets said to Elisha, "Look, the place where we meet with you is too small for us. 2 Let us go to the Jordan, where each of us can get a pole; and let us build a place there for us to live."
      And he said, "Go."
 3 Then one of them said, "Won't you please come with your servants?"
      "I will," Elisha replied. 4 And he went with them.
      They went to the Jordan and began to cut down trees. 5 As one of them was cutting down a tree, the iron axhead fell into the water. "Oh, my lord," he cried out, "it was borrowed!"

6 The man of God asked, "Where did it fall?" When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it there, and made the iron float. 7 "Lift it out," he said. Then the man reached out his hand and took it.

What does this story about an axhead floating have to do with anything?

Another intriguing story would be Micah's Idols in Judges 17.  This story seems so pointless and even silly that it has to have all kinds of hidden meaning in it.  ???  The only thing I can see in that story is perhaps it's an example of God answering Micah according to the multitude of his idols.  But beyond that, I don't know.

That's what's frustrating about it.  I know these all mean something but I guess it's just not the time for the fullness of them to be revealed.  But that shalln't stop me from seeking!

There are, of course, hundreds of other stories in the scriptures that I'd like to know the meanings to as well.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 09:04:07 PM »

There is more to the definition of parable than a "(symbolically) ficticious narrative." Proverb and parable both derive from the same Hebrew & Greek root words.

Can a literal historical event also be applied as a spiritual parable/proverb? I believe that common thread reasonates all through the OT & NT.

One example is Peter denying Christ, it happened, what spiritual lesson (parable/proverb) is contained? All the elect or chosen have done this (denied the Lord by losing their first love) and have had to bitterly repent. There are thousands more examples starting at Genesis.

parable 4912

H4912
משׁל
mâshâl
maw-shawl'
Apparently from H4910 in some original sense of superiority in mental action; properly a pithy maxim, usually of a metaphorical nature; hence a simile (as an adage, poem, discourse): - byword, like, parable, proverb.

parable 3850

G3850
παραβολή
parabolē
par-ab-ol-ay'
From G3846; a similitude (“parable”), that is, (symbolically) fictitious narrative (of common life conveying a moral), apoth gm or adage: - comparison, figure, parable, proverb.

parable 3942

G3942
παροιμία
paroimia
par-oy-mee'-ah
From a compound of G3844 and perhaps a derivative of G3633; apparently a state alongside of supposition, that is, (concretely) an adage; specifically an enigmatical or fictitious illustration: - parable, proverb.

The following are the definitions of the definitions 

adage

a condensed but memorable saying embodying some important fact of experience that is taken as true by many people [syn: proverb]

maxim

1. an expression of a general truth or principle, esp. an aphoristic or sententious one: the maxims of La Rochefoucauld. 
2. a principle or rule of conduct.

metaphor

A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in "a sea of troubles" or "All the world's a stage" (Shakespeare).
One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: "Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven" (Neal Gabler).

simile

A figure of speech in which two essentially unlike things are compared, often in a phrase introduced by like or as, as in "How like the winter hath my absence been" or "So are you to my thoughts as food to life" (Shakespeare).

I hope this helps,

Joe

Mickyd

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 12:02:30 AM »

While I do admit that much of the Bible is literal history....what I'm saying is that many other things that we take as literal history, may very well be symbolic.

For example:

But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss? Lu 22:48

Now this:

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. Pr 27:6

Would you take this as literal history, or is the kiss of Judas symbolic of something entirely differant? Spiritual with spiritual?

This is mainly what propted this post.

YellowStone

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 12:23:12 PM »

Hi MickyD,

It would I have to recant my seem that previous stance taken in this thread.

Thanks Joe for your timely instruction. I should have researched the word myself instead of leaning on my own unstable understanding. :)

Love to All,
Darren

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 06:05:24 PM »

Mickyd

You comment : the Bible is the most popular book on Earth, but at the same time the least read and the least understood.

Perhaps the bible is like the table of the Lord where there is food and many platters and delicacies of His truths to be yet discovered, tasted and experienced! Already we have recieved just a taste of the banquet that is ahead! And yet we are not there yet.

Just look for example at the thoughts shared by Joey  pointing to so much more we have yet to discover, learn and receive. This is a wonderful hope hidden in this question....Who can know the depths of God?

Rom 11 : 33 Oh the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unfathomable, inscrutable, un-searchable, are His judgments, His decisions! And how untraceable, mysterious, undiscoverable are His ways, His methods, His paths! 34. For who has know the mind of the Lord and who has understood His thoughts, or who has ever been His counsellor?

And we have this hope…

1 John 3 : 2 Beloved, we are even here and now God’s children; it is not yet disclosed, what we shall be hereafter, but we know that when He comes and is manifested, we shall resemble and be like Him, for we shall see Him just as He really is.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.