bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it a sin for women to work outside of the home?  (Read 12655 times)

AyanaL

Is it a sin for women to work outside of the home?
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:22:28 PM »

I currently work outside of the home, but make sure that I keep my home as the Bible instructs.  However, if it is a sin to work outside of the home, I would of course stop the practice immediately.  I know that in Acts 18:1-3 Priscilla was a tentmaker and that in Acts 16:14 Lydia who worshipped God was also a seller of purple.  These are both instances where women had other jobs than being keepers at home as the Bible commands.  I would like to hear Biblical proof one way or another as to whether it is permitted for a woman to work outside of the home.

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: Is it a sin for women to work outside of the home?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »

AyanaL,

Hi and welcome to the forum.  I believe this might be your first post, I did not see the number by your profile.

Please read Proverbs 31, it does say that the woman does buy a vineyard and works it.  I do not know if I am going on a stretch but I think this is revelant.

There's another way to looks at it, Wives submit to you husbands.  If you husband thinks it is okay, then it is okay I supposed in the dictates and mandates of this verse.

I am looking forward to the replies on this thread becuase it will be quite interesting.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

PKnowler

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »

I currently work outside of the home, but make sure that I keep my home as the Bible instructs.  However, if it is a sin to work outside of the home, I would of course stop the practice immediately.  I know that in Acts 18:1-3 Priscilla was a tentmaker and that in Acts 16:14 Lydia who worshipped God was also a seller of purple.  These are both instances where women had other jobs than being keepers at home as the Bible commands.  I would like to hear Biblical proof one way or another as to whether it is permitted for a woman to work outside of the home.

Greetings AyanaL,

Welcome to BT forum! We're glad you decided to join us. To answer your question I do not think it is a sin to work outside the home. The scriptures you brought up about Lydia and Priscilla, and the scripture that Anne quoted in Proverbs 31 about a woman buying a vineyard attest to that. But as Anne mentioned  there are other factors concerning your working outside the home that you need to consider such as are you submitting to you husband? How does he feel about you working outside the home? Do you have children? etc,

Why do you ask? Do you think you are sinning by working outside the home?

Blessings, Paula

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:22:33 PM by PKnowler »

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 03:55:18 PM »

AnyaL,

I wished to share with you some of my personal life.  First and formest, I am a wife to my lovely husband and a loving mother to my precious 7 month old son.  After that, comes the piano and voice lessons which I do from the home to supplment our income.  I am also Music Director at our church and with this comes many responsibilites.  I am also taking piano lessons at the University as well as finishing up my degrees from Texas Tech soon. 

As long as you can keep the Proverbs 31 mentality and take care of the stuff at home, I would see no problem with working out of the home.  The husband is the breadwinner and the woman serves as the nurturer and keeps things flowing smoothly at the home.  Now if the woman wishes to help supplement the income which I see nothing wrong with that, and the husband agrees then go for it.

I am concerned as this questions seems to be coming from a point of view where others may have been advising you differently from what adivce you are getting in the forum.  As long as you are doing your responsibiliites in the home, then nothing is wrong.  Your husband is your spiritual convering in all of this.

I hope this helps.  If you wish to talk, by all means PM me.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hebrewroots98

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:38:35 PM »

Hello AyanaL and welcome to BT Forum.  Me as well as Anne are here in West Tx., where do you reside?

Anne and Paula, you are exactly right with what you stated.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  Anne is the pefect example of how one can work out of their home while being a mother and homemaker too. (YOU GO ANNE!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I too am a stay at home mom, I homeschool.  (As far a s the Prov.39  Woman is refering to, I don't think that homeschooling constitutes for 'buying a field and prospering from it', since I don't make money from teaching at home)...but I may be wrong about this, (ANY FORSIGHT FROM ANYONE HERE WOULD HELP ME OUT).  Also,  I am disabled and find it difficult to find the right job for my health (can't sit or stand or bend for long periods of time anymore without major problems). 

I was just talking to a friend today and said this very thing...
'if a man reverses his God given role or gives up his God given role of being the provider (since he was made to be physically stronger than the woman) for his family's physical needs and then takes on the wife's role of beign a homemaker (MISTER MOM) and a nurturer of the children fulll time; then problems will ensue.  the same goes for if a woman takes on the role of being the physical needs provider for her family instead of staying in her God given role as a homemaker and a childrearer, things do not run so smoothly as God had intended them to.  He made roles for each gender and if you get out of that ordained role, there will be problems; if you function in your role, there will be blessings and rewards! 

(Unfortunately, when some parents don't fulfill their roles then there are some moms that become better dads to their kids and vie versa witht he dad being the better mom in certain families.)
Of course there are exceptions tothe rule (ex. incase a single parent/widow/ widower has to perform as both the mother and father.)

I hope that helps ;)

josh

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 05:48:31 PM »

Sister,

As generic as it may seem, whenever a question arises concerning the role of the woman or wife in the household, my first inclination is to reference the 31st chapter of Proverbs.

Proverbs 31:10-12
10: A good wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
11: The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.
12: She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.

10-13:
First and foremost, the responsibility of the woman in the household is to be a “good wife”… likewise, it is the responsibility of the man in the household to be a good husband. It is a balance.

1 Peter 3:7
7: Likewise you husbands, live considerately with your wives, bestowing honor on the woman as the weaker sex, since you are joint heirs of the grace of life, in order that your prayers may not be hindered.

See also: Eph. 5:28 & Colossians 3:19
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 31:13-15
13: She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands.
14: She is like the ships of the merchant, she brings her food from afar.
15: She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and tasks for her maidens.

13-15:
But what makes a good wife? A woman who provides for her household! Whether you are a single mother, separated but working together with your ex or happily married, it is the responsibility of the parent or parents to provide for their family…. depending on your situation this may mean that it is necessary for the wife/mother to work outside of the home.

It should also be noted that “provision” is more then food and clothing, it’s also a plethora of emotional and spiritual needs that also must be met. Once again there is a balance here, working outside of the home may be necessary in providing for your family, but it is also necessary that you are there emotionally and spiritually for your family and their needs.

1 Timothy 5:8
8: If any one does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his own family, he has disowned the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Luke 12:42-44
42: And the Lord said, "Who then is the faithful and wise steward, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time?
43: Blessed is that servant whom his master when he comes will find so doing.
44: Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.

Proverbs 31:16-18
16: She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17: She girds her loins with strength and makes her arms strong.
18: She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.
19: She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle.

16-19:
Verse #18 is particularly interesting in light of the topic of the current thread… “she perceives that her merchandise is profitable.” This would seem to imply that even the virtuous woman not only worked, but had mastered her trade to the point of it being “profitable”… sometimes requiring her to work into the night hours.

Proverbs 31:20
20: She opens her hand to the poor, and reaches out her hands to the needy.

This virtuous women not only cares for her husband and her household, but she even reaches out to those in her community who are in need.

Proverbs 31:21-24
21: She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
22: She makes herself coverings; her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23: Her husband is known in the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.
24: She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers girdles to the merchant.

Ah, again. Verse #24, “She makes linen garments AND SELLS THEM. Who does she sell them to? Merchants. Do these merchants live in her house? No, of course not. Here is scriptural proof that the virtuous woman can work outside of her own household in order to provide for her family.

Proverbs 31:25-29
25: Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.
26: She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27: She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28: Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
29: "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."

In the end, I believe that this particular issue comes down to “what is the motive.”

What drives her desire to work? Necessary financial provision or self gain?

Likewise, what drives her desire not to work? Laziness, in spite of financial need or selfless abandonment of personal gain to provide emotionally and spiritually for her families needs.

It comes down to motive.

Proverbs 31:30-31
30: Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31: Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

Within our culture, it is sometimes difficult for a woman to be “successful” in the work place and her job not be the defining element of her life. I believe the scriptures say let the work that God is doing in you be the defining element in your life and let that work trickle down into the rest of the areas of your life… starting with being a good wife, a partner in providing for your family and for others in need… perhaps a way that you can do all these things is by working outside of the home… but are those your motivations.

One last thing. ALL THINGS (including a woman working outside of the home) are pure to THE PURE.

Titus 1:15-16
15: To the pure all things are pure, but to the corrupt and unbelieving nothing is pure; their very minds and consciences are corrupted.
16: They profess to know God, but they deny him by their deeds; they are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good deed.

Hope this helps, but what do I know… I’m a guy (trying to apply these same principles to my life!)

Grace and Peace.
Josh

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 06:01:22 PM »

Josh,

What an awesome post.  Thanks for bringing in some NT Scriptures as well.  I could not think of where they were, but you posted all of them that were in my mind.  This is a beautfiul post and has taught me some things as well.

Yes motive is an important driver in this.

Susan,

Thanks for the words of encouragment and wonderful post as well.  You have been a great blessing in my family's lives.  Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

AyanaL

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »

Hey everybody,

Thanks for your post.  I didn't think it was a sin to work outside of a home, as long as I was still keeping my home, which I make sure that I do.  I am a teacher full time and have 5 children and one on the way.  Three are in school full time and the babies stay with their Spirit filled grandparents while my husband and I are at work.  My husband is the provider for the family but makes enough to just provide.  If anything else comes up (broken furnace, broken car, etc.) then my money is definitely needed to supplement. 

The reason for my question is because someone brought up the passage of scripture where a wife is to be obedient to her own husband.  By me working outside of the home, I have a male boss who I am also subject to.  Therefore,  I am being obedient to someone elses husband also.  I am currently working online to receive my master's degree and nevertheless have many student loans to repay.  Without me working, my husband certainly can't afford to pay that debt and take care of a family of 8. (obviously we don't believe in birth control, but that's a whole different topic.)

Thanks again,

Ayana

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »

Ayana,

Sounds like you are doing a great job thus far.  I will keep you and your family in my prayers.  Congratulatoins on the new one on the way.  Please by all means keep us updated.

Welcome home.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hebrewroots98

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »

Yeah Josh!  YOU GO GUY!!! ;) ;D  
I like how you elaborated on each point of the Proverbs woman and how it all boils down to 'motives'.  (I do not get paid to Homeschool, but, my motive in HSin is so that my child gets the best educations that he can get, as well as the best environment, and the best opportunities to learn and to be able to have a close family relationship and  the emotional bonding for the short time that he will be with us, and for me to be able to teach him these bible truths (where he can't get these prescious jewels from Public School (infact, he would have to UNLEARN alot of what the Public schools would be teaching him; whereas, BIBLE TRUTHS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN HIS LIFE AND IN HIS CIRRICULUM.) ;D  THAT IS MY MOTIVE ;)  I must confess that there have been times when i thought that I was a complete failure in certains areas, but, the proof is in the child...

as I had told Anne earlier today...
My Daniel Isaiah came up to me and gave me a coin that he had been given (the coin was from Isreal and had a Menorah on one side of it and had a number 10 on the other side of it (10 rupels?))  and he came up and gave me a big hus and said  "Can I PAY you for being the BEST MOM IN THE WORLD?" (I just had a thought...TAKING CARE OF HIM AS I DO 'IS MY PAY' (FROM THE LORD)!  THIS (SINCERE LOVE FROM MY CHILD) IS SOMETHING THAT MONEY CANNOT BUY; AND I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!!! :D :D)

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:21:19 PM »

Susan,

I have thought what I wanted to post to you and finally got it down.  You may not be paid in monetary compensation, but the payout for you being a wonderful mother to Daniel will be so much worth it.  I have seen your son and am so pleased with the job you are doing, and becuase I am sure that your husband will be reading this at one point in time, as well as your husband being a great dad to your son.  It takes both working together.

He Namatov

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

PKnowler

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 06:31:48 PM »

Hi Ayana,

What a pretty name! Bless your heart! It sounds to me like you are doing the best you can! And it doesn't sound like your husband is opposed to you working so I don't think you are sinning even if you are submitted to your boss (a man). We are to submit to many who are in authority, both men and women.

I think it is great that you have Christian family watch your children while you work. I know it can be hard to leave our children nevertheless. When is your baby due? My husband and I don't believe in Birth control either. God convicted me of it in 1986. I have had 11 children (blessings) since then.

Hey Susan, I am blessed to be a SAH homeschooling mom too! There was a time when I had to work to make ends meet and so I know how hard it can be.

Blessings to you!  :)
~Paula

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 06:34:03 PM by PKnowler »

hebrewroots98

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »

Ah Paula,
It's great to see you back, I was worried there!  Wow, 11 kiddos, that's very neat!  I'm sure you have to be organised or else you would have a pretty bad day! ;)  Isn't it  great to be able to homeschool?  (I just watched a tv program last week about a family whom have 16 children and they built their own house from the ground up together; it was BEAUTIFUL TOO!  They HS their children and built this house on a peice of land with several acres on it incase the kids wanted to live nearby when they get up and married.  This family traveled alot in their RV for HS activities and would meet with other Hs'ers whom also had between 10 and 17 kids!!!  Did you see that on TV? )

(My husband has 5 (whom are now adults) from his previous marriage; but they are not wanting to be a part of us (now that we have this new found spiritual belief system); so we really have 6 total that we have on our hearts and in our minds at all times; we just don't get to see them; lol; and Gods' will for now.  (Unfortunately, Daniel at this point is an only child in every sense of the word.)  This is the first full year that I have been able to stay at home full time, and he is 8!  It takes a financial sacrifice wether one or many children. ;)

Where do you both get your energy from?  (My medical conditions limit my energy levels tremendously; which is a hard lifestyle b/c I was used to be sooo active!!!!!!)

AyanaL

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:09:59 PM »

Hey Paula,

My baby is due on June 14th right at the end of the school year.  I plan on working until then and then taking at least a year off of school.  My district does allow for a year off to care for each child and at the rate I'm going, that'll be many years to come.  I have a 20 month old and a 6 month old right now and when the baby is born in June my 6 month old will only be 10 and 1/2 months old.  Of course I have a 12 year old daughter who helps out and a 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter also.  Both my husband and I come from large families.  My mom and dad had 13 children together and my husbands parents have 10 children together.  Nevertheless, we wish to accept God's word as truth and believe that children are a blessing and who cuts off blessings.  Thanks for the words of encouragement.  My husband doesn't mind if I work or if I stay home, he leaves that decision to me.  I do make sure that home is taken care of however.

PKnowler

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:13:30 PM »

Yeah Susan I've seen that show about the Dugger family with the 16 kids. They are very organized! Not me. I'm more fly by the seat of my pants. Easy going type. I take care of the important stuff though and don't sweat the rest.

We only have 7 children at home. My oldest son at home works full time so he's not around much. I home school 4 of them. You mentioned your son Daniel is 8. We have an 8 year old boy too. His name is Matthew.

It does take a financial sacrifice to raise children. My husband works very hard in supporting his family. He is part owner and developer of 2 companies in digital video surveillance software.

I am sorry to hear about your medical condition. You asked where I get my energy from. Don't you know it gets easier the more kids you have? They help in many ways, cleaning, helping each other, being a goffer- you know get me this or that, etc., My 15 1/2 year old is even helping to train her 8 & 6 year old brother and sister how to do dishes, clean house etc., They are required to listen to her as their elder and she is their Friday night babysitter so hubby and I can go out.  ;)

Blessings, Paula

PKnowler

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »

Hey Paula,

My baby is due on June 14th right at the end of the school year.  I plan on working until then and then taking at least a year off of school.  My district does allow for a year off to care for each child and at the rate I'm going, that'll be many years to come.  I have a 20 month old and a 6 month old right now and when the baby is born in June my 6 month old will only be 10 and 1/2 months old.  Of course I have a 12 year old daughter who helps out and a 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter also.  Both my husband and I come from large families.  My mom and dad had 13 children together and my husbands parents have 10 children together.  Nevertheless, we wish to accept God's word as truth and believe that children are a blessing and who cuts off blessings.  Thanks for the words of encouragement.  My husband doesn't mind if I work or if I stay home, he leaves that decision to me.  I do make sure that home is taken care of however.

What a blessing that you can take a year off to care for your baby! You have a lot of little ones. I know that can be tough! It is good that you have a 12 year old to help though. Wow, both you and your husband did come from large families! There was only me and my sister growing up. So did you make up your mind growing up that you wanted a large family?

Yes children are a blessing! They are also used of the Lord to test and refine us. I'm sure you know that!

Well I hope you come around and visit with us now that you are a member here. I would like to get to know you better.

Blessings, Paula

longhorn

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 08:43:08 PM »

A Godly woman who wants to work and keep peace at home....If there are any more of those out there, please call the Longhorn Ranch collect day or night at 903-572-DoYouHaveaBassboat.

Longhorn

Kat

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 08:48:38 PM »

Hi Ayanal,

I'm glad you are sharing with us here on the forum  :)
Your family sounds wonderful.  
It sounds like you have put a lot of thought and prayer into what you are doing.  
I will say I don't know how you do it, but it sounds like you have a very helpful extended family, plus your older children, and an agreeable husband to boot  ;)

You and Paula both must be exceptional women to mother so many children.
I will pray for you and your family.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Bradigans

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 04:29:32 PM »

i would simply say follow your heart.

Proverbs 27:17 says -
The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

God's going to lead and guide you through your spirit.
For THE SPIRIT, if you're HIS will guide and lead you into all truth.

Sincerely in HIS LOVE,

Bradford

P.S. OPEN UP YOUR HEART, AND PUSH,,,,, the limits... Alleluia!!!

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 01:38:26 AM »

AnyaL

Not sure if someone said this verse, but I will go ahead and say it.  "With God All things are possible."  Realize there are no limits and there is no boat.  With God anything can be done and accomplished.  I know this from my own personal life.  ONe of these days, I will have to share my full testimony with you all.  But the Spirit has said this is not the time yet.

Best of Gods blessings on your life.  Keep us updated.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 20 queries.