bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John 6:44  (Read 6068 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
John 6:44
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:43:16 AM »

Hi Ray,

I hope this doesn't take too much of your time, or that I'm about to ask a question that's too big for an email, but I was wondering if there's any significance in the difference of the greek word helkyo which in every instance it's used in the NT means "drag," meaning God "drags(helkyo)"us to Christ,  Peter drew(helkyo) a net full of fish, and the greek word engizo which means "draw nigh," and is used in Heb 7:19 "..by which we draw nigh(engizo) to God," and James 2:8 "Draw nigh(engizo) to God and he will draw nigh(engizo)to you?"

I guess what I'm wondering is that when God drags us to Christ, does the use of engizo mean that men are STILL responsible for drawing nigh to Him? Does God drag us just so far enough to Christ to where WE are required to draw nigh the rest of the way? Is this what preachers and missionaries mean when they say that we must "accept(choose)" Christ?  This is a problem for me, as I can see using this argument to prove that we must indeed "accept" Jesus to be saved.

Thank you,
    Derrick

Dear Derrick:
    The truth of John 6:44 does not rely on the proper meaning of "draw/drag/pull/push," etc. Yes, we "accept" Christ, but not of ourown DOING. It is God's doing:  "For it is GOD which works in us both to will AND TO DO of His good pleasure" (Phil. 2:13). The first part of the voice makes this abundantly clear before ever coming to the word "draw":  "NO MAN C-A-N come to Me...." There is your answer.  And so, NO, God does not drag us "just so far" and the rest is entirely up to us. It is ALL OF GOD, but we do and perform all that God desires and pre-ordains.
    God be with you,
    Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.