bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: christian music?  (Read 9655 times)

Sorin

christian music?
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:47:01 AM »

Does anybody still listen to it? I haven't, since I stopped attending the Synagogue...

What are your opinions on that?

Sorin

Kevin

christian music?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 11:37:14 AM »

Not anymore.  Music is something that I really stuggled with. I played guitar for most of my life. Until recently I had a real hard time about playing out in clubs and bars.I havent played out in over 2 yrs now. My walk with God has been a rollercoaster to say the least. At one point I tried to play christian music but ended up playing in bars. All my friends still call me up wanting me to play out in clubs with them. Every time I ended up playing out I would end up back in the world doing the same ole thing. God has removed the desire for this now. As for as I am concerned all music is the same. Some bands come right out and blaspheme God while others candy coat it. Christian music reminds me of wolves in sheeps clothing.

bowlbyx

christian music?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »

i think some bands that dont come out and say were a christian band, have some the greatest lyrics.  

i like the band shadows fall

david

ertsky

christian music?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 04:43:38 PM »

i'm an avid fan of good music

skillful music, consider

Psa 33:1  Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
Psa 33:2  Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Psa 33:3  Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
Psa 33:4  For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
Psa 33:5  He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.

i am always on the look out for gifted musicians material

a lot of what i listen to is instrumental

but a lot of what i listen to has singing in which case it really annoys me if the words are against the truths i have come to understand

sometimes i can make allowances sometimes not

anyways there has been for me an extraordinary thankfulness to God for the great gift of music

the number of times God has by His spirit touched me when music is playing is remarkable

my life would be so very much the poorer without the gifts God gave

JS Bach
Jeff Beck
Shawn Lane
Allan Holdsworth
Paganini
Strength in Numbers

and countless other gifted artists

recently though i did have to stop listening to one act only because the words just started to grate on my spirit after a while (thankfully this rarely happens)

also i have come across some great lyric writers

also this verse

Rom 14:14  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Rom 14:15  But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

f

nightmare sasuke

Re: christian music?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 05:12:36 PM »

Quote from: Sorin
Does anybody still listen to it? I haven't, since I stopped attending the Synagogue...

Sorin

I didn't like it when I was in the Harlot, and I don't like it now that I am out of it. Haha.

Sorin

Re: christian music?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 05:33:57 PM »

Quote from: nightmare sasuke
Quote from: Sorin

Sorin

I didn't like it when I was in the Harlot, and I don't like it now that I am out of it. Haha.

8)

Gill

christian music?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »

Jeff Beck's 'Where were you' brings a tear to my eye ...that man sings on his guitar.

God uses all sorts of music to inspire me and remind me of the truth.  Lyrics do tend to get in the way, so i prefer instrumental.  Or like Bobby, i end up changing the words  :D .

Anything from Beethoven's 'Pastoral' Symphony No. 6, to Safri Duo's 'Bongo Song' ...so many random tunes, i don't really have any particular style.

I used to work in a company dealing with copyright and the collection/administration of royalties for many christian artists from churches who used their material.  That was an insight.  Seems everything is for sale in chri$tendom and some people get fat on the profits.  It's no wonder Jesus calls it a 'den of thieves'.

Sorin

christian music?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 06:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Isabell
I can't listen to Christian music anymore.  I never cared for it much even before I was dragged to the truth.  Now I wonder if they even believe what they are singing sometimes.  Things like "God is in control" --but they believe we have free will.  And even if what they're singing is scriptural, and they believe it, they are still basically peddling God's word.

Exactly!! I know that song ( shamefully I might add :oops: ), they say things
like " God is in control " but they don't really believe that. they believe that we are in control, we have the power to choose our own destiny therefore
the ability to thwart God's plan and God is powerless to do anything about it. they believe that we direct our steps, not God. that we know what will be on the morrow and so on.  

They openly admit that even though God Wills for all men to be saved and come unto a knowledge of the truth, it is but a mere wish and Who is God to accomplish His very own will. I mean He is only the Creator of everything. :roll:

zander

christian music?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 07:05:03 PM »

Yeah right Sorin.  Thats how crazy the people in the firm are.  Crazy man! Contradictions abound and the most ironic thing of all is they cant even see it.  One thing ive learned is that God loves Irony.  God is seriously English, cos we love it too....

Music wise,  i love most music.

But this reminds me of this poor boy at my former church who used to beat himself up to the point of madness about whether it was right to play music in clubs or not.  He was a DJ.  I felt for him, i really did.  He had been told all his life it was evil and bad.  If only i could comfort him now.  Dunno where he is now, but i hope hes going against the grain of the judgmental firm and playing at some seriously good gigs...

rvhill

christian music?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 09:00:27 PM »

I love Amazing Grace, but then I like a lot of what John Newton said.
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,    
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see. (end)

mmjones76

christian music?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 10:55:45 PM »

I feel this exact sentiment about music.  I was a worshipleader and love music, but when I turn on the christian music station I have to turn it off, it just reeks of the 'world' and trying to imitate there sounds.  

MY prayer is that God will lead a few of us musicians to write and record some music to sing and make melody to the Lord with 'truth' and not the 'heresies of the harlot'.

We are commanded to sing, even Jesus and disciples sang hymns .

Mike

worm

christian music?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 05:50:19 AM »

Quote from: Kevin
Not anymore.  Music is something that I really stuggled with. I played guitar for most of my life. Until recently I had a real hard time about playing out in clubs and bars.I havent played out in over 2 yrs now. My walk with God has been a rollercoaster to say the least. At one point I tried to play christian music but ended up playing in bars. All my friends still call me up wanting me to play out in clubs with them. Every time I ended up playing out I would end up back in the world doing the same ole thing. God has removed the desire for this now. As for as I am concerned all music is the same. Some bands come right out and blaspheme God while others candy coat it. Christian music reminds me of wolves in sheeps clothing.

Hey Kevin,
I play music as well...I've had similar struggles as you...but God took me out of the clubs and bars...more like, He took the clubs and bars out of me and have shown me a new way...now He's sending me back to the clubs and bars...for God wants us to be a light in darkness...we have NO use for Him if the "enlightened ones" all just gather to share our lights with each other

He's taken me out of Egypt and made me dwell in the wilderness...now I'm standing at the Jordan...ready to cross over and inheret the land...and inhereting the land means "facing the giants"...not running from them

I know NO art that can change a person's pshyche more than music...music is one of the "highest gifts" one can have because it speaks to people's emotions and sometimes change their thinking...use it like a tool...like a flaming sword of God and your life will be enriched like you cannot believe :wink:

as for Christian music...anything that glorifies the Lord is okay with me...even if those who are worshipping don't have the meat but the milk...one CANNOT eat meat before you've drunk the milk...lets not forget that...how can we look down on others who walk the same path as we used to do?  :D

jennie

music
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 10:07:01 AM »

Hey ya'll, I know you will think I am awful but I love music.... all kinds.... depending on what mood I am in. I have certain music I listen to when I want to relax ... music for everything! My favorites are the original Lynard Skynard, Aerosmith, Merle Haggard, Toby Keith, Bo Bice, Shelby Lynne, Mozart, and Bach! A friend of ours who is a musician says he feels like he is on an "acid trip" when He gets in my car because of the many different types of music! Oh, I almost forgot! Pink Floyd!

Sorin

Re: music
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »

Quote from: jennie
Hey ya'll, I know you will think I am awful but I love music.... all kinds.... depending on what mood I am in. I have certain music I listen to when I want to relax ... music for everything! My favorites are the original Lynard Skynard, Aerosmith, Merle Haggard, Toby Keith, Bo Bice, Shelby Lynne, Mozart, and Bach! A friend of ours who is a musician says he feels like he is on an "acid trip" when He gets in my car because of the many different types of music! Oh, I almost forgot! Pink Floyd!

Hey Jennie, I think you are " Awful", shame on you.

No, just kidding... hehe.. actually I think you got good taste.  8)

zander

christian music?
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »

Marilyn Manson....? ?? :o

Phazel

christian music?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »

I'm kind of stuck in between.   I have not been able to really learn all the groups that are out there.  

But Christian heavy metal and thrash and grunge is what I listen too more because I like the style.  

typically I can't understand the vocals anyway.  :)

But just like I never got rid  my old albums of Judas priest, ac/dc and others, I'm not just discarding my Christian ones either.

Regaurdless of Doctrinal differences alot of Songs still talk of Gods love.

Kevin

christian music?
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 02:00:04 PM »

Worm thankyou for your comments. Its just really hard for me for the fact of all the temptations of playing in a band. I have a CD that we put out ourselves-had a label look at us. The radio station that played our CD was trying to get Aerosmith and Fuel to come down and play a concert and was going to get us to open for these guys. Fell through the cracks though. I do have a home study that I put out a couple of songs. They are what I call my songs for God.As for as playing out I dont know if I can do it. I have plenty of offers to play, and make a good living just kinda scared to get out there and do it again. I look back and every single time I would start to play out I would get pulled into it again. My brothernlaw plays drums and we played in bands together for years and he wants to start again. The funny thing is that we have connections, I mean really good connections that in reality we could probably do something in the secular world of music, but I dont think God wants me there. I dont want this to sound stupid but sometimes I think God gave me this talent to be one of the many fires I must go through.

Kevin

christian music?
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 02:33:18 PM »

For those interested heres our old website dont know if you can listen to the songs are not. I pulled this up, I didnt even know that this site still even existed. www.geocities.com/slingband/debutcd.html.

Kevin

christian music?
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »

Thankyou for your words Bobby. Its much to think on. I tried the link and it wont go through but if you type it in it will. Dont laugh to hard though

Kevin

christian music?
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 03:12:52 PM »

Thats funny Bobby. What type of music did yall play?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.