bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re Elijah  (Read 4716 times)

chav

re Elijah
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:58:54 PM »

it was really  interesting to note that in one of Ray's recent email responses he quoted 2 Chronicles 21:12.

And a letter came to him from Elijah the prophet, saying 'Thus ays the Lord' etc

I have heard people state frequently, that the two witnesses mentioned in Revelation are both Enoch and Elijah. I guess that little bit of correspondence sinks that theory.
However I am just wondering whether it is possible to to calculate the number of years between Elijah's departure and the arrival of the letter to King Jehoram

cheers
Dave UK

YellowStone

Re: re Elijah
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:12:20 AM »

Dave wrote:

It was really  interesting to note that in one of Ray's recent email responses he quoted 2 Chronicles 21:12.

And a letter came to him from Elijah the prophet, saying 'Thus ays the Lord' etc

I have heard people state frequently, that the two witnesses mentioned in Revelation are both Enoch and Elijah. I guess that little bit of correspondence sinks that theory. However I am just wondering whether it is possible to to calculate the number of years between Elijah's departure and the arrival of the letter to King Jehoram.

Dave, you ask a very interesting question. :)

I did a little bit of digging and dug up some very interesting information.

The letter in question is:

2Ch 21:12 ¶ And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus saith the LORD God of David thy father, Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah,

However, is the common belief that the letter arrived many years after Elijah's translation? Or is it possible that the letter could have arrived while Elijah was still around. (for want of a better word) The Scriptures indicate that this may well have been the case.

2Ki 1:15 
  • And the angel of the LORD said unto Elijah, Go down with him: be not afraid of him. And he arose, and went down with him unto the king.

2Ki 1:16 
  • And he said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Forasmuch as thou hast sent messengers to enquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron, [is it] not because [there is] no God in Israel to enquire of his word? therefore thou shalt not come down off that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die.

2Ki 1:17
  • So he died according to the word of the LORD which Elijah had spoken. Because Azahia had no son,  Joram reigned in his stead in the second year of Jehoram the son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah]

It would seem that Jehoram's reign overlapped that of his father Jehoshaphat from 853-848b.c. This reference is to the second year of the co-regency, thus this indicates that this was Jehoshaphat's eighteenth yr of reign. This would seem to suggest that Elijah had not departed before Jehoram had become king.

What do you think of this, it kind of makes sense. :)

Comments are always welcome,

Your brother in Christ,
Darren

hebrewroots98

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:49:18 AM »

Hey Darren, it's good to put a pix w/ your posts!  It looks like you might be in the OUT BACK, on your ranch???

Kirk

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 12:11:45 AM »

If you understand that the 2 witnesses of Revelation are the Church and the Holy Spirit, it
coalesces a lot of seemingly disparate thoughts.

Kat

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 01:58:19 AM »

Hi Kirk,

You mentioned the two witnesses of Rev.
Ray explains what the two witnesses repersent in his article, 'Twelve God-Given Truths to Understand His Word.'

http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm -------------------------------------------

TRUTH NUMBER 6

[A] "…that in the mouth of TWO OR THREE WITNESSES every word may be established" (Matt. 18:16).

"…In the mouth of TWO OR THREE WITNESSES shall every word be established" (II Cor. 13:1).

[C] "And I will give power unto my TWO WITNESSES…" (Rev. 11:3).

This particular law of Scripture is constantly violated. We are to have at least a second witness to establish a Scriptural truth or doctrine.

Unfortunately, the Church does not follow this truth of God in establishing doctrine. Truth be known, orthodoxy has not even one witness to support any of their doctrines! Example: The Scriptures tell us that man is "mortal," not "immortal." They teach that man’s soul is immortal. Where do they have a Scripture to support this claim? No Scripture—no witness. Where is their second witness to this claim? No second witness. They will not be encumbered with Scriptures to support their damnable heresies and lies.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.