bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aachooo....Bless You!  (Read 9473 times)

ned

aachooo....Bless You!
« on: August 02, 2006, 12:16:18 AM »

Just wanted everyone's opinion on this:

Do you say "bless you" after someone sneezes?

Many "christians" don't say it...i don't know why.

Is this a good opportunity to give someone a blessing?

Opinions, please?!

Sorin

Re: aachooo....Bless You!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »

I say "bless you" after someone sneezes. But then again, I even know Atheists that say it. So go figure. lol
I don't see why Christians wouldn't say it. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 12:24:11 AM by Sorin »

gmik

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:14:33 AM »

great reading Isabell, interesting.  I didn't know about Snopes so I now have  it bookmarked. Thanks.

I guess I always said it as a habit-not thinking anything christian about it. I more or less meant that I hope it didn't turn into a cold.  I dunno :-\

buddyjc

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:34:02 PM »

I haven't tried to verify this, but I once heard that saying "bless you" after someone sneezes came about because early Christians believed that the "soul" was contained in the breath, and by sneezing, you could lose your soul.  Blessing you restored it.

Here is an article about the saying: http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/blessyou.asp

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when you sneeze, your heart skips a beat or two. 

Brian

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 10:37:31 PM »

Holding your sneeze in can damage your middle ear. I do this a lot because I do not want to spray germs all over.  It must be true because my hearing is now shot.

only smiley thing with ears

Beloved

SandyFla

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:55:40 PM »

I've always said, "God bless you." To me it seems silly to just say "Bless you" ... I mean, who/what is supposed to supply that blessing?

ned

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 12:43:25 AM »

Thanks everyone for your input. Isabell, that was an interesting link you pointed us too.  I agree with the theory that these days most people say it because we are expected too, and it really doesn't mean alot otherwise, unless like Sandy says; "God Bless You", she obviously puts some thought behind saying it- so it has meaning.
Anyway,
"Bless you all" (I mean it)  ;)
Thanks again,
Marie

sansmile

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • my beautiful grandchildren
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »

Hi all,
i believe the custom of blessing people when they sneezed, came about during the great plague of london. They were quite God fearing people then and were frightened of catching the plague that was killig so many. So, hence when someone sneezed, they asked God to bless them , in case they were showing the first symptoms of the plague.
Walk in the Spirit

rick

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »

The custom of saying "God bless you" after a sneeze was begun literally as a blessing. Pope Gregory the Great (540-604 AD) ascended to the Papacy just in time for the start of the plague (his successor succumbed to it). Gregory (who also invented the ever-popular Gregorian chant) called for litanies, processions and unceasing prayer for God's help and intercession. Columns marched through the streets chanting, "Kyrie Eleison" (Greek for "Lord have mercy"). When someone sneezed, they were immediately blessed ("God bless you!") in the hope that they would not subsequently develop the plague. All that prayer apparently worked, judging by how quickly the plague of 590 AD diminished.

The connection of sneezing to the plague is not the first association of sneezing with death. According to Man, Myth, and Magic: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Mythology, Religion and the Unknown, many cultures, even some in Europe, believe that sneezing expels the soul--the "breath of life"--from the body.  That doesn't seem too far-fetched when you realize that sneezing can send tiny particles speeding out of your nose at up to 100 miles per hour!

We know today, of course, that when you sneeze, your heart doesn't stop, nor will your eyes pop out if you can keep them open (www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_30 4.html), nor does your soul get expelled. What does get expelled are hundreds upon thousands of microscopic germs. The current advice when you sneeze is to cover your mouth with your arm rather than your hand. That way, all those germs won't be on your hands when you touch the countless things you're going to touch in the course of the day (don't tell us; we don't want to know).

There are many superstitions regarding sneezing, some of which you've already listed. But here are some of my favorites.

Sneeze on Monday for health,
Sneeze on Tuesday for wealth,
Sneeze on Wednesday for a letter,
Sneeze on Thursday for something better,
Sneeze on Friday for sorrow,
Sneeze on Saturday, see your sweetheart tomorrow,
Sneeze on Sunday, safety seek.

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a letter
Four for a boy.
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret, never to be told.

And lastly, a sneeze before breakfast is a sign that you will hear exciting news before the end of the day.

I assume you sneezed this morning,  because you've just been blessed with the Straight Dope.

gmik

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 11:48:07 AM »

;D ;D ;D

iris

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »

Rick,

That was interesting.  ;D  :D  ;D

Iris

DWIGHT

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 02:49:58 AM »

And now.....you know....the rest of the story. Paul Harvey ;D ;D ;D

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 08:42:21 PM »

To All,

Did you know that is physically impossible to sneeze with your eyes open?  Try it.  LOL

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »

Anne,

I enjoyed your creative perspective on sneezing, tried it several times, never could keep them open!
 ;D

BTW, do you know that it's also impossible to lick your elbow? Try it! Careful thought... Don't try too hard...
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 04:47:16 PM »

Eggi,

About licking the elbow.  Believe me, I tried for about a good 10 minutes before I realized that I was entertaining everyone in the room much to my chagrin.  It was funny.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

rick

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »

anne, if you were wanting to post a new picture, I think that may be a good one OR NOT!!!!....rick

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 12:10:11 AM »

Rick,

LOL.   ;D ;D ;D  That would be too entertaining for all of you, and I wish you not to die of laughter.   :D

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

iris

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 12:44:14 AM »

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.