bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Lesson Learned  (Read 8636 times)

josh

A Lesson Learned
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »

If I might, I’d like to share something I have been learning…

Not to limit God to a personality trait, I fully understand (or as best as I can at this point in my walk) that God is not a man… but God surely does have a remarkable sense of humor.

I often notice it in the way He chooses to teach me things through sometimes silly, yet common facets of everyday life. For example… I have always loved basketball. I played all throughout high school and even had an opportunity to play for a small college here in Pensacola.

I’m 23 now and still, every week I head up to the gym to play on Monday and Thursday nights. I see guys get injured every week and I always have been thankful that I do not have trouble with my ankles or knees… in fact, until last week… the thought of me being injured while playing basketball never really entered my mind.

It was the last game of the night… we were up by 6 or 7 points and I had become relaxed knowing that we were only a few points away from being undefeated for the night. The ball was passed in and was being held at the top of the key, directly in front of the goal. I was standing out to the left when I made a sharp cut towards the basket. I threw up both of my hands as I continued forward… trying to catch the bullet pass that was coming in my direction.

I caught the ball but felt a weird sensation in my pinky finger on my left hand… I heard a crack… and then I screamed. I spent the next few minutes kneeled down on the floor clutching my hand… I’ve jammed my fingers a thousand time… but this was different. I was in a lot of pain… it’s amazing that that amount of pain could radiate from such a small finger.

Over the week, without the use of my little finger… I began to notice how much I take for granted some of the smaller parts of my body that play such a huge part in my everyday life… each part have a specific purpose… put in it’s perfect place by our wonderful creator.

All of us at some point have experienced some sort of disability… some temporary… some permanent… some of us were even born without the full function of certain body parts.

I knew a girl in school who suffered from an auto immune deficiency… along with diabetes… she had a hard life and sometimes found herself very angry with God for not healing her of her aliments… we had a lot of long conversations about why God does not heal everyone… why He allows some to be created with virtually no health problems… and others it seems like do not live a day without suffering from some disease or disability.

Over the last several days I’ve taken notice of what an amazing parable our bodies are for what God desires for the body of Christ… I have often taken for granted my role in what God is truly working throughout the entire creation… but I am slowly learning to be thankful, not only for my role, but also for the role of everyone else… both in the body of Christ and those outside of the body of Christ… both vessels of honor and dishonor.   

Ephesians 4:15-16
“Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every joint with which it is supplied, when each part is working properly, makes bodily growth and up builds itself in love.”

Romans 12:4-6
“For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: …”

Romans 11:32-36
For God has consigned all men to disobedience, that he may have mercy upon all. O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?" "Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?" For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory for ever. Amen.

Grace and Peace.
Josh

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: A Lesson Learned
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »

Josh,

I remember breaking my pinkie finger on my left hand in a basketball game in high school.  At least it was worth it, becuase the shot went in and I got fouled in addition to it.  My pinkie finger, I still played piano with it even though it was broken becuase I had state competition and such.  Well, in the summer it had healed wrong, so I rebroke the sucker and set it right.  I am lucky and blessed to have use of it today as well as it not being a limiting factor in my playing piano.

Yes, it was a lesson, even though at the time I did not know that God was teaching it to me.  This lesson was one of perserverance and truly working through the pain.  I never want to break another bone in my body ever again, it is too painful.

To this day, my pinkie does not set at a perfect angle and still juts out, but it makes octaves and other notes in the left hand easier to grab LOL.  So there is good in everything.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

skydreamers

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:45:58 PM »

Great post Josh, thank you for sharing!

Peace, Diana

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »

Anne that was just to funny.

It just goes to show that there is good in everything, if we look hard enough.

All is according to God,

Love in Christ,
Darren

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 04:31:08 PM »

Over the week, without the use of my little finger… I began to notice how much I take for granted some of the smaller parts of my body that play such a huge part in my everyday life… each part have a specific purpose… put in it’s perfect place by our wonderful creator.

Josh,

Perfectly stated.  Also, the analogy to the body of Christ is very clear.  Thanks for reminding me.

Rene'

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 04:37:17 PM »

Darren,

It sure was not funny at the time, but looking back over it I can see the hilarity within the situation LOL.

Yes the key to everything is to look for the good in all things.  Reminds me of that Scripture, Rejoice in everything and again I say rejoice.  I believe that is in Phillipians as well as In all things give thanks to God.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:44:25 PM »

Thank you for sharing your walk with Him with us Josh.

Hope your pinky is better now....did you win the game?

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

josh

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 06:11:19 PM »

By a land slide! The pinky is a bit better today... gonna try to go without the splint tomorrow. =)

gmik

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:31:19 PM »

Josh, you got me to thinking.

So many of our forum-family has had trials in their childhood, and adult lives too.  I have not been abused, never did drugs or alcohol, and have had it pretty good.  I was a church goer growing up (only cuz my mom wanted it quiet in the house).  When I got to college, I went a little crazy morally and decided I wasn't a Christian and could do as I pleased.  Still no major problems.

In the last few years tho, I have gone thru depression, fibromyalgia, migraines, and now arthritis.  I mention all that just to say, I can believe the pain your pinkie put you in.  Now I look pretty healthy!  But sometimes I am in tears just to get up off the couch my knees hurt so badly.  The doctor just diagnosed me last week, altho I figured.  He said right now its pretty mild!!!  What???  I am pretty worried about the pain as it gets worse.  How do people do it??  Anyway, maybe that it going to be my cross.  I don't know.  I am still gonna praise Him.

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:14:59 AM »

Gena,

Every testimony story is a miracle in and of itself.  There is no testimony that is better than anyone's elses.  Reading what you wrote has blessed me, becuase I am more than often sick then feeling well, and I used to get depressed and sad and bitter, but now, I can relate to Paul and his thorn in the flesh.  Without my days of being sick, life would be where I would really be tempted not to look to God for sustanance.  It keeps me humble.  Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

iris

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 12:30:23 AM »

Gena,

My knees used to hurt so bad it would bring me to tears and I couldn't hardly walk.
A friend recommended Citracal Plus, so I decided to try it. It took about four months
before they stopped hurting. I haven't had any problems with my knees since.
It may not help you, its not for everyone, but it sure helps me.

Iris

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 01:23:08 AM »

Hello Gena

There is such a thing as  Tissue salts number 4 (Ferrum Phos. Iron Phosphate)that  is specifically recommended as a anti-inflammatory and number 10 (Nat. Phos Natrium Phosphate) fights excess acidity and together are treatment aids for arthritis. Number four works as an anti-inflammatory and number 10 is an anti acid. You may probably get this at a natural remedy health store. They are homeopathic remedies and are not medicines as in chemical but are natural supplements. the body has 12 tissue salts and any deficiency restored by supplimental application can restore balance back to health in the body. it ususally a long term treatment and not a quick fix.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

gmik

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »

Thanks gals!  I will try both!!

I got the liquid B complex-just started that. I was looking into liquid glucosomin/chondroiten.  Havent gotten that yet.  Hope I can take everything together.

Tissue Salts #4 & #10
Citracal Plus

anything else???  I don't want shots or pills! Or replacements.  Ugh.  I do work out 3-4 days-just walking on treadmill and some weights.

Anne, you need your strength & health for your family.  You are in my prayers.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 08:19:06 PM »

Hello Josh (and everyone),

It is absolutely true about our Lord's sense of humor and how He teaches us through these everyday trials. The body needs to work in unison or we tend to overcompensate often injuring or stressing another part of the body as we attempt to take the burdon off of the originally injured member.

One becomes painfully reminded of the intregal importance of what may seem to be a very insignificant part of us.

Great thread.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe 

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »

Wow  Joe,

That was deep.  It reminds me of that Scripture where it says if one part of the body hurts the other parts of the body hurts as well.  And when on part rejoices the others rejoice as well.  I believe it is 1st Corinthians 12, hmmm don't quote me on addresses, but I can get it narrowed to the book LOL.

God has a great sense of humor. And great ways of making us see easy spiritual truths by feeling them in ourselves.  The above Scripture would not make sense, unless we have experienaced it, and which we have.

I wonder if most of the bible can not be applied in a physcial feeling and stuff like that.  Can spiritual truth have physical feelings beyond emotion?  Hmmm.

You got me to thinking Joe and questioning again.  This is good, very good.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

hillsbororiver

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 10:45:48 AM »

Hi Anne,

It is really amazing what the Lord will reveal to us about spiritual things as we observe nature, whether we are contemplating vegetation as it grows, blossoms, gives its fruit and withers to be reborn again or meditating on wildlife or our pets even our children and ourselves.

I believe it was Sir Isaac Newton who stated "the world is one giant parable."

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe 

dogcombat

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 12:07:26 PM »

The old joke asks

"Does God have a sense of humor?"

A:  He had to He MADE US! ;D ;D

Ches

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »

I have had many problems with my joints (can't imagine why  ::)). I was taking all kinds of "high end" supplements that were working very well, I just could not afford them anymore.
A neighbor recommended Hyaluronic Acid (H.A. Joint Formula by Purity Products) for joint and cartilage support. I have been taking it for about 6 months now and have noticed much improvement.  

steve

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 08:02:07 PM »

God does have a wonderful sense of humor. My joint problems began 15 years ago after a running accident. Running downhill, I slipped, rolled, and broke both arms. I have now had 3 hip replacements, 2 spinal surgeries and 1 big metal plate in my neck. I'm 50. Yup, it's brutal.
  There are many days that feel like it's all I can do to get through them.There are also days that I think probably feel like they would if none of this had ever happened, unless I get too rambunctious and try to pull weeds or something. What is very funny, anyway it is to me, is that I think God did what was necessary to get my attention. He has it now, I can't forget what he has done to me. If I can try to look at his works outside of my own limited understanding, then I think it looks like God is very droll. I am truly appreciative of what he has done to me.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches,in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
II Cor. 12: 9-10

Steve

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 05:16:26 PM »

Ches,

Look at the laughing hyena or the duck-billed platypus for that matter.  Everytime I see one of those, I just want to burst out laughing and in praise for God.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.