bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lord's Prayer  (Read 4562 times)

jennie

The Lord's Prayer
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »

In one of the discussions someone mentioned the Lord's prayer and how we are not to "have vain repition". I think the Lord's prayer is a format that Jesus gave us as an example of how to pray. I think it happened that the disciples asked Him how to pray. I guess because they were so familiar with the Laws of leviticus. Jennie

TRUTHSEEKER

Re: The Lord's Prayer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:54:36 PM »

In one of the discussions someone mentioned the Lord's prayer and how we are not to "have vain repition". I think the Lord's prayer is a format that Jesus gave us as an example of how to pray. I think it happened that the disciples asked Him how to pray. I guess because they were so familiar with the Laws of leviticus. Jennie

The Lords Prayer is a pattern or guide if you will to how we ought to pray.  Not that we are to pray the exact words when we pray but rather to pray in like manner as Jesus said.  I don't really know why the disciples asked Jesus how to pray other than that God caused them to desire to know how too.  You could have a point in that they were used to the customs of the old testament with its rituals and customs.

Truthseeker

YellowStone

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:55:14 PM »

Hi Jennie,

It was who wrote how we are not to "have vain repition". :)

These are Christ's Words as you know. Yes, he gave instructions to his disciples on "how" to pray, not "what" to pray.

This point has obviously been lost to the church! :)

I hope that is the point you garnered from my original post.

Love,

Darren

jennie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »

Obviously, I made a typing mistake. If that was offensive, I apologize for responding to this at all. I do believe the Lord's Prayer is the model Jesus gave to the disciples when they asked Him how to pray. It serves as an example to us also. That is my understanding of that subject. Jennie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.