bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Then why did Jesus die?  (Read 4980 times)

Robin

Then why did Jesus die?
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »

Then why did Jesus die?

I've seen this question in many emails connected to the teaching that there is no hell. I couldn't understand why it was asked.
I was talking to my mother about there being no hell and the first thing she asked was why did Jesus die.

I then understood that they think that being saved is being saved from hell. If there is no hell they don't understand why Jesus had to die for us and what we are being saved from.

I haven't had time to look this all up, but thought it would be a good topic for guests who are reading.

When did mankind first become aware that they needed a savior? Was it all the way back to Adam and Eve or was it when they received the law?

Any scriptures showing what we are being saved from would be appreciated.

Here are a few

Romans 6
22But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 5:10
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Romans 11:25-27
25For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
26And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
27For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

1 Corinthians 15
3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Matthew 26
27And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Kat

Re: Then why did Jesus die?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:04:13 PM »

Hi M. G.

I had noticed that they seem to ask that question a lot too.
I believe it is as you say, they are so fearful of going to hell, that is the main thing that they focus on, being saved from hell.

Here is a scripture that I thought goes with what you posted.

Mat 1:21  And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins."

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

rjsurfs

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »

Since most Christendom doesn't believe in "death" they see no need to be saved from it....

josh

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:19:46 PM »

M.G.,

Thought these scriptures might add to the discussion.

In the closing verse of the first chapter of Romans, Paul describes the types of actions that man is capable of once he is turned over or given unto "vile affections" by God... including even the"hatred of God"... these are the very types of actions that modern Christianity teaches will be punished with "eternal conscious torment... but what say the scriptures?

Romans 1:26-32
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

The scriptures are clear! All of these actions once committed are "worthy of death"... not an eternity in Hell.

Fortunately, death will not reign over mankind forever...

1 Corinthians 15:26-28
For He must be reigning until He should be placing all His enemies under His feet.
The last enemy is being abolished: death.
For He subjects all under His feet. Now whenever He may be saying that all is subject, it is evident that it is outside of Him Who subjects all to Him.
Now, whenever all may be subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also shall be subjected to Him Who subjects all to Him, that God may be All in all.)

No, Christ will abolish death, and in so doing, save us from the death which is the only"wages of sin" (Rom. 6:23) that the scriptures speak of.

God's Peace.
Josh
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:20:33 PM by In Medias Res »

Sorin

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:16:05 PM »

That truly is a stupid question: "If everyone is going to be saved, and there is no hell, then why did Jesus die on the cross for us?"

I like to answer with: You fool, Jesus' death on the cross is the very reason why, all will be saved.  If Jesus wouldn't  save us, then after we die, we would have been forever , perished, lost. But Jesus came to save that which is lost. Besides the wages of sin is death {Rom 6:23} not eternal torture. To deny that all will be saved is to deny that Jesus Is The Savior of The World. And if you don't believe that He is The Savior of The World {in which case one would have to actually save the world in order to be considered savior of the world} then you deny what He did on the cross. And if you deny his sacrifice, then you're an Anti-Christ.

Sorin

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:25:38 PM »

Question: "Then why did Jesus die?"

Answer: To save us.  :D

rick

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »

Isa 53:9  And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Isa 53:10  Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Isa 53:11  He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

How God must love us if it pleased him to sacrifice His only Son. I cannot even fathom a love such as this!!!!!!!!!!!!!rick

okjohnson

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 10:59:35 PM »

Hi

The scritpture so far quoted shows that salvation is from death and sin.

Most Orthodox Christians will say they are saved from hell and sin. I have asked some teachers what they think salvation means and that is generally their answer, and they will point directly to scripture that shows it.

However, they do not understand that hell is actually the grave and therfore they are being saved from death.

They also believe that they are already saved as soon as they are baptized and accept Jesus Christ. This is another misunderstanding that they have because no one can say they are saved yet until they have put on immortality.

Orlando

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »

M.G.,

I hate to write this answer becuase it sounds so trite, but when one considers this question and answers it, it will provide more poingant answers then aswering why.

Anytime I have heard a question penned Why did x happen, or Why is x, or Why is x = x for that matter.  What makes it stand out even more is to ask Why not.

So in the manner of Jesus dying, why not?  List the reasons, and I promise you that journey is a pleasant one.  Hmmm why not x = x?  <beats hand on desk> dang it, this is spring break, and I am thinking way too much.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.