bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. Patrick's Day  (Read 5418 times)

Sorin

St. Patrick's Day
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:36:59 PM »

Some Information...

Patrick was a Christian priest whose job it was to convert the population of Ireland to Christianity. The Druids, however, stood in his way. The Druids were very important people in Ireland at that time, and their symbol was the Snake of Wisdom. Druids could be priests of the old religion of Ireland, but there were also much more.

One part of the Druid class were the "Bards", whose job it was to remember all of the history of the people, as well as to record current events. Because the Irish Celts did not rely on a written language, everything had to be memorized. Bards were poets and musicians, and used music and poetry to help them remember their history exactly. Because of this, Bards were highly respected members of the Irish society. The Irish believed that history was very important, for if you didn't remember what had happened in the past, you couldn't safely plan for the future. Bards, therefore, held the future of the people in safekeeping.

Another important part of the Druidic class were the "Brehons". Brehons were the Judges and the Keepers of the Laws. The Celtic people had a highly complicated society, and with it, a highly developed set of laws. Brehons trained for many years to learn the laws of the people, so that whenever there was a dispute, the Brehon could
fairly decide the matter and make peace. The laws were there to make sure that everyone; man, woman, and child, were treated fairly and with respect. Because of the wisdom that the Brehons held, and the knowledge of the laws of the society, they too, like the Bards, were held with much respect.

And, of course, there were the Druid Priests. This branch of the Druid set were the keepers of the knowledge of Earth and Spirits. It was their responsibility to learn the Spirit World, in order to keep people and Earth in harmony. Priests performed marriages and "baptisms", they were healers, and psychiatrists. The Priests were
the wise grandparents to whom you could go with a problem. They were there to help you solve them, with the help of the Earth and the Spirit World.

Into this world of the Irish Celts entered a highly energetic and devoted Christian Priest named Patrick. Because he believed so strongly in the tenets of Christianity, he thought that anyone who was not Christian had to become one in order to be "saved". He came to Ireland to convert the Irish people to Christianity.

The Irish people at that time were happy and doing quite well without Patrick and his ideas, but he was persistent. He noticed that the Druids were really the important people of the society. He thought that if he could convert the Druids to Christianity, the rest of the people would follow. Patrick's main problem was that the Druids were very
comfortable with what they had already learned, and were not willing to change. Druids had spent their entire lives learning the ways of the people, and were the last people who were willing to change.

Although Patrick was not willing to abandon his vision of a Christian Ireland, he was getting desperate. He knew that because the strength of the people rested with the Druids, he had to get rid of them in order to get the people to listen to him.

Patrick was not alone in his efforts. He had brought many people with him from Britain to establish the new religion. Patrick began to destroy the influence of the Druids by destroying the sacred sites of the people and building churches and monasteries where the Druids used to live and teach. Gradually, the might of the Druidic class was broken by a bitter campaign of attrition. Instead of hearing the teachings and advice of the Druids, the people began to hear the teachings of Rome. Because the Druids were the only ones who were taught to remember the history, with the Druids dead and their influence broken, the history was forgotten.

Patrick won. By killing off the teachers and the wise ones, his own religion could be taught. For this mass conversion of a culture to Christianity, and for the killing of thousands of innocent people, Patrick was made a Saint by his church.

Today the story is told that Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland because he "drove the snakes out". We now know that the "snakes" were the Druids. So although I love the Irish people and celebrate their Celtic heritage, I don't "celebrate" a day dedicated to the man called Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland.

I know this is a bit late, but the more you learn about Christianity, the more you hate it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:43:40 PM by Sorin »

iris

Re: St. Patrick's Day
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:47:36 PM »

Sorin,

That was interesting!
Thank you for sharing this information about Ireland.

Iris

gmik

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:24:43 PM »

I always believed that he actually did drive real snakes out.  Someone told me there were no native snakes to Ireland.  Is that true Arc(Deborah)? 

I was in Ireland and I loved it there, the beauty & culture.  The people were so friendly.  My son Brian was born on March 17, 1978, so instead of Brian John his name became Brian Patrick.  Yes, after St. Pat!

Darn, I always thought him to be a real christian (at least w/ the understanding of the times).

Really, in America (maybe Ireland too), they only celebrate the day in a bar (or in elementary school!!!)

snorky

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:41:03 AM »

You know it really is a hard thing (at least 1/4 of my folks are Irish) to find out after all these years that the holidays once celebrated--St. Patty's was a big deal at our house when I was growing up...God forbid we didn't wear green! God forbid we didn't eat corned beef and cabbage (yuk!)--are things you now want to avidly avoid...like Easter coming up and especially Christmas! I also know there are those here who will also have a hardtime dealing with relatives on Easter (not that big a deal with the folks) and Christmas (a VERY big deal with our relatives!). I pray every day God will open up the truth to my relatives so they see the heresy of these holidays...but I just have to leave it up to God and cannot "will" that my folks stop these nonsenses! God help us all when it comes to these foolish days!--Deb aka snorky

sansmile

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • my beautiful grandchildren
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:00:35 AM »

Sorin,
That was very interesting. I am from N Ireland, although living in London now, and as I was brought up as a Northern Irish protestant, we were never taught Irish history. We also as protestants never celebrated St Patricks day. I was told i was British. My mother and father to this day don't like to be called Irish. When i was growing up there the society was very anti-catholic and yes they were discriminated against. Things have definetly changed, although having said that, there are "knee cappings" (shooting people through the back of the knee) daily which we on the mainland very rarely hear about. This though is nothing to do with religion, but control by paramilitaries of various territories, usually drug related

Sandie
Walk in the Spirit

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »

Delete the Saint part, and just call it Patrick's Day. ;D

Patrick is my middle name; I did not like my first name, Lorin. :-[

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »

Patrick,

My son's middle name is Patrick as well.  There is good company in those who have this name.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »

Hello G

I haven't a clue!.... ;D

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

Sorin

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:51:14 PM »

Delete the Saint part, and just call it Patrick's Day. ;D

I agree with that. But, I would like it even more if the Irish stopped celebrating it. I know if I were Irish, I definitely would not celebrate that heretic's day.

Patrick is my middle name; I did not like my first name, Lorin. :-[

Personally, I'd rather be called Lorin than Patrick.   ;D
Nothing against the name itself, but I wouldn't want to be named after not so St. Patrick.  ;)

Peace,
Sorin
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:00:55 AM by Sorin »

Falconn003

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:06:11 AM »

well if there is a mass murdering st. Pat

Were is the indoctrination of SAINT HUSSEIN.

The day of celebration will commence by telling the mother of all lies,  :o and denying responsibility to everything you are accused of.   8)

A criminus festivus for the rest of us.   ;D ;D ;D

Rodger
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.