bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here is a post I made on a "protestant" message bo  (Read 6225 times)

Joey Porter

Here is a post I made on a "protestant" message bo
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:21:03 AM »

We'll see how well it goes over.

Luke 10
38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Why did Jesus say it was better to sit and listen to what He said than to run about trying to do works for Him?

Now, look at something very telling, from John 11:

20When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.

21"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."

23Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

24Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
 25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

27"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

28And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. "The Teacher is here," she said, "and is asking for you." 29When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. 30Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. 31When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.

32When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

33When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, He was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34"Where have you laid him?" he asked.
      "Come and see, Lord," they replied.

35Jesus wept.

Then, as Jesus was about to raise Lazarus, notice what Martha said:

38Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39"Take away the stone," he said.
      "But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days."
 40Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

Now, I'm sure a lot of people don't see what I see in that passage, and will probably dismiss this, but I believe it's very important.

Martha heard Jesus was coming, and went out to meet Him.  But what did Mary do?  She waited until Jesus called for her. Just as, at the house, she was not running about trying to "do things," she sat and listened to what He had to say.

Now, this is where it gets very deep, so please try to follow along. Mary and Martha both cried out to Him "If you had been here, my brother wouldn't have died."  BUT - look at the difference.  After Martha said that, she felt the need to "qualify her statement" or "defend herself" by saying, "but even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask."  

Well, did she?  Did she really believe that? No!  Just a few verses later, as Jesus was about to raise Lazarus, we read Martha's words "But Lord. By this time there is a bad odor, for He has been there four days.

She doubted that Jesus could raise Lazarus at that point.  And we see Jesus re-assuring her by saying "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" So, did Martha deliberately lie, or did she just think she had the faith that she really didn't have?

There is something else to point out here.  When Martha went to Jesus, she did not fall at His feet.  When Mary went to Him, she did.  What does this tell us?  Here we have Martha, who wanted to run around "doing things" for Christ.  We have Martha who was quick to proclaim her "faith" that God would give Him whatever He asked.  But we also see that it was Martha who did not fall at Jesus' feet when she saw Him, and it was also Martha who began to doubt the miracle that Jesus was about to do - raise someone from the dead! The Scriptures do not indicate that Martha wept for Lazarus, and Jesus did not raise Lazarus when Martha pleaded with Him.

But what about Mary?  Mary did not go about trying to do works for Jesus.  She sat at His feet and listened to what He was saying.  Mary did not make the boastful comment that her sister did, saying that she believed God would give Him whatever He asked. Mary did weep for Lazarus, and Jesus did raise Lazarus from the dead after Mary pleaded with Him. Why?

Martha did not fall at Jesus' feet, but Mary did.  Which of the two truly worshipped Jesus?  The one who sat and listened and waited, or the one who ran all about trying to do things?

There is also a LOT more I could say about the account in Luke chapter 10, but this post is long enough.

I believe this re-enforces a very deep, hidden, biblical principle in the scriptures, from Genesis to Revelation, that almost no one sees.  You can read all about it in this post of mine:

http://bibleforums.org/forum/showpost.php?p=774898&postcount=13

Now, what I will say from this point will probably not agree with many folks, but I believe it so I'll say it.

I believe the Christian world is full of a whole lot of "Martha's" and very few "Mary's."  When I see these evangelists going out, running around on the streets, trying to "win souls," evangelizing to people, telling them they'll "burn in hell" if they don't repent, I can't help but see right through their works.  Do they have true compassion for the lost?  Do they really weep for the dead like Mary did?  They are quick to boast with their lips that they believe in Christ, just like Martha, but who was it that "compelled" Jesus to raise Lazarus from the dead?  You'll see them going about "doing many great works for Jesus," but do they even know or understand what He says?  Have they listened to what He says and then waited for His call, like Mary?  Have they really, in Christ's words, "chosen what is better?"

Think about this - Jesus is the Way, the TRUTH, and the Life.  The church seems to believe He's the Way.  They claim that He's the Life.  But do they really believe He's the TRUTH?   Jesus said the Spirit would guide us into all TRUTH. Well, is the Spirit telling Calvinists one thing, and Arminians another.  Is He telling Baptists one thing, and telling Methodists another?  Is He telling "pre-tribbers" one thing and "post-tribbers" something different?  We need to think about this.  Is Jesus calling Presbyterians to preach their theology, and then calling Weslyans to preach something that opposes it?  Is the church really sitting, listening, and waiting for Jesus' call?  Or is it a case of the church being "distracted by all the preparations that have to be made?"

Why are there so many divisions and denominations in Christianity?  In the words of Paul, "Is Christ divided?" Did Paul not chastise the Corinthians and call them carnal for splitting into factions? Jesus asked the Father that His followers would be united as one.  Do we believe that the Father will give Jesus whatever He asks?  Or are we like Martha?  Has the Father failed to answer Jesus' prayer, or is there something more that we need to look at?

bobf

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 01:57:30 AM »

Very nice Joey!

Joey Porter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:07:41 AM »

Thanks, but this was all from God.  It was one of those instances where I started the post about one small thing, and as I was going along, all of this stuff just started popping off the pages of scripture.  I had never seen any of this stuff before myself.  Very exciting!

orion77

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:07:58 AM »

Very good post, Joey.  Thanks for sharing, never noticed that before.  We must worship Him in spirit and truth with a broken and contrite heart.  I have not had the time to read your other post, but will.

Good insight there, brother.  Amazing how the Spirit works to show some this and others this, yet if it is to the glory of God, how great it is.

God bless you,

Gary

Joey Porter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 02:11:19 AM »

Quote from: orion77
Very good post, Joey.  Thanks for sharing, never noticed that before.  We must worship Him in spirit and truth with a broken and contrite heart.  I have not had the time to read your other post, but will.

Good insight there, brother.  Amazing how the Spirit works to show some this and others this, yet if it is to the glory of God, how great it is.

God bless you,

Gary

Thanks.  As I stated above, all of this literally jumped off the pages at me tonight.  Also, the post for that other link was simply an explanation of Mike and Ray's "called/chosen" principle in the scriptures.

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:51:36 AM »

I also enjoyed your post. Its nice to see the humbleness of giving God the glory. What was there reply

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 11:16:56 AM »

Joey, that was surely an edifying paper, so much to contemplate.

Thank you for posting.

Joe

shibboleth

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

Thanks for sharing that with us. It was truly edifying. Mary went out when Jesus called for her. Is this showing the difference between the called and the chosen.? The chosen wait on God, the called can't wait to do things for God?

Bobby, I used to pass out tracts and go door-to-door for the church and God. But it was joyless and I really could have cared less if anyone came to church. I just did it so I could get brownie points with God.

Here's my interpretation of Mt7:21-23 Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, didn't we pass out many tracts and brochures in thy name? And in thy name have concerts, outings, carnivals, crafts, and even Bible studies? Aren't these wonderful works, Lord? And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

No wonder 1 Cor.3:13 says: Every man's work shall be made manifest; for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

I wonder how many of my works are done in the flesh, and not the spirit?
Probably most, sad to say.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 04:33:31 PM »

Dang bro, thats some amazing insight, God bless you! IT is amazing to see Him at work in each and everyone of us! Our God is truly awsome :)

eutychus

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 05:03:01 PM »

Quote from: bobbys43
Boy you ain't kiddin!! When He opened these eyes they were slammed wide open!!! It still amazes and excites me!!!!

bobby

amen, it is very exciting getting to know Christ, funny thing for me is the more my eyes are opened the more a ealize how blind i am.

know what i mean?

chuckt

Jwn47

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 10:45:07 PM »

Joey,

I read your post on the other site.  That was on the best posts I have read on any site.

Thank you

John N

Joey Porter

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »

Hey,  thanks to everyone for the kind words.  I just want to say that this was not something I had been studying or looking into at all.  90% of that stuff just came to me, or was shown to me, as I was typing up the post!  I am surely an unworthy vessel.

Joey Porter

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 11:43:50 PM »

Quote from: shibboleth
Thanks for sharing that with us. It was truly edifying. Mary went out when Jesus called for her. Is this showing the difference between the called and the chosen.? The chosen wait on God, the called can't wait to do things for God?

Bobby, I used to pass out tracts and go door-to-door for the church and God. But it was joyless and I really could have cared less if anyone came to church. I just did it so I could get brownie points with God.

Here's my interpretation of Mt7:21-23 Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, didn't we pass out many tracts and brochures in thy name? And in thy name have concerts, outings, carnivals, crafts, and even Bible studies? Aren't these wonderful works, Lord? And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

No wonder 1 Cor.3:13 says: Every man's work shall be made manifest; for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

I wonder how many of my works are done in the flesh, and not the spirit?
Probably most, sad to say.

I think that could definitely be something that divides the called from the chosen.  The called are out there, possibly thinking that the works they're doing are actually "winning souls" and saving people.  Like it's a team effort between God and man.  I don't think that is so.  As John wrote, "He must increase, I must decrease."  It's definitely a soul-searching process, trying to decipher between the works of the flesh and the works that God is doing through us.

By the way it is interesting to note that almost everyone on here pretty much saw the same thing I did in those scriptures.  On the other board - no response to that post as of yet.   :wink:

orion77

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 12:19:29 AM »

Joey, when you get the spirt moving like that again, don't forget about us.  That was great, lol.  Amen, brother.

God bless,

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.