bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake of Fire - Haven of Purification?  (Read 6845 times)

raler

Lake of Fire - Haven of Purification?
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »

Hi all.  New guy here.

I first read the Lake of Fire series late 2005 and got hooked on something and would like to know if anyone else has considered this.

Lake, in the Greek, has a root word "limen" (strong's 3040) that means "harbor" or "haven".

We all know that fire represents purification.

(KJV) John 3:16 ends with "...that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Perish, in the Greek, is "apollumi" (strong's 622).  One of apollumi's roots is "apo" (strong's  575) meaning separation (and that makes perfect sense), but another root word associated with it - "olethros" (strong's 3639), has this definition:

"for the destruction of the flesh, said of the external ills and troubles by which the lusts of the flesh are subdued and destroyed"

I've come to the conclusion that "Lake of Fire" means literally "Haven of Purification".

So, in a sense there's a duality to Lake of Fire in that, we have the separation (GK. apo) from God as a result of the sin in our lives and we also have the promise of purification (GK. olethros) in that one simple phrase "Lake of Fire".

Maybe this is obvious, but when I think about what I once believed this meant (and what most of the Christian world still believes) I'm completely floored.  It renders me speechless.

Does this make sense or am I possibly missing something?

Redbird

Re: Lake of Fire - Haven of Purification?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:44:47 PM »

Sounds like it makes alot of sense Raler.  Glad to have you aboard!

Peace, Lisa

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »

Hi raler,

Welcome to the Forum.

Great post!

I especially like your "haven of purification" quote. The only part I don't see is the separation from God, what I see is the carnality being separated and destroyed leaving a purified spiritual Son or Daughter.

Heb 12:29  For our God is a consuming fire.

The carnal workings and mindset shall be destroyed but the spiritual being is saved, reconciled.

1Co 3:15  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

God is a consuming fire and there is no other way to be saved other than through Christ our Lord.

Act 4:10  Be it known unto you all and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Act 4:11  This is the stone which was set at naught of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

Act 4:12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

gmik

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:20:45 PM »

Hi Raler and Welcome.   2005!!! and it took you that long to join us???   Just teasing.

I love the imagery of Haven of Purification.  Much clearer.

DWIGHT

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:38:26 PM »

Hi Raler,

I agree with Joe, good post, but let me give you a scripture on the separation part that might help out a little.  "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."Rom. 8:38,39.

But Joe is right, in that God is separating us from the carnal to the spiritual, by this lake of fire.  This lake of fire is the greatest grace that God can bestow upon mankind.  It is a haven or safe place, where God will eventually save all mankind.  Christianity believes that it will be eternal separation from God and the pearly gates.

By the way, welcome to the forum.  

God bless,

Dwight

Falconn003

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »

Hi Raler

Very nice interesting post.

Rodger

rjsurfs

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:57:30 PM »

Love the post!

Welcome Raler!

GODSown1

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:58:52 PM »

Hi radar,
          Yep! thanx! for that, it helped me out heaps, wow!   'GOD is GOOD!'
     muchLOVE! Pera

GODSown1

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »

opps! where did I get radar from hahaha! sorry!

iris

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:17:49 PM »

Hi Raler,

Good post.

Welcome to the forum!  :)

Iris

raler

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:21:43 PM »

Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

I did sign up quite a while ago, but circumstances led me in another direction at that time.  I'm very grateful to finally be here.  ;D

Regarding the "separation" thing.  I understand why that might sound a bit contrary.

I'm always in a rush and rarely get a complete thought out.  What I meant by that is that when we were in our sin, we were separated from God by the sin (Christ removes that barrier).   Once we're led to repent, nothing again can separate us from God.  And even those who die in their sin aren't separated, except for an age or two.  As we know, we are now going through the fire that the unrepentant will experience in time.

I was speaking about the separation we experience before knowing God.  That's the duality.  Separation (apo) before repentance, Purification (olethros) after repentence.  What struck me as amazing is that the Greek word for fire has both meanings and the word itself reflects two states of being 1. separated (unrepentant) 2. purified (repentent).

More than simply a technical meaning behind Lake of Fire, on a personal level it seemed like God is saying (my words) This fire is a gift.  You were once separated from me, but now I will never leave you.

Just a head's up - I'm wrong a lot and expect that won't change much (ask my daughter), so I really do anticipate learning much from all of you.

Peace and abide in God's Amazing Grace....

Jeff

raler

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:26:50 PM »

Y'all are so nice.  There are so many discussion boards out there and some of the things going on (on them) are really, really unpleasant.  This place feels more like a home...... :)

- Jeff

GODSown1

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »

PRAISE GOD Jeff
   muchLOVE!! Pera a brother in GOD!

snorky

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:46:05 AM »

Right on, Raler! This forum has move love and fellowship (as well as truth) in a cell of its pinky than the other so-called Christians forums have in their entire bandwidths!  :D Welcome!  :D  ;)

Deb aka snorky
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.