bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Deaths of the Apostles  (Read 17544 times)

Kat

The Deaths of the Apostles
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:57 PM »

I got this information from a website and thought it would be of interest to see how the apostles met their physical deaths.

The apostles were continually threatened and pressured to deny their Lord during their ministry; especially as they faced torture and martyrdom. However, none of these men who spent time with Jesus chose to save their lives by denying their faith in Him.

All they had to do to escape martyrdom was to admit they had concocted a lie and simply deny their faith and claims about Jesus as God. It defies both common sense and the evidence of history that anyone, let alone a group of twelve men, would persist in proclaiming a lie when they could walk away by admitting that it was a fraud.

History reveals that not one of these men, who knew Jesus personally, ever denied their testimony about Him despite the threat and reality of imminent death. This proves to any fair-minded observer that these men possessed an absolute unshakable personal knowledge about the truth of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Each of the apostles were called upon to pay the ultimate price to prove their faith in Jesus, affirming with their life's blood that Jesus was the true Messiah, the Son of God, and the only hope of salvation for a sinful humanity.

Most of our information about the deaths of the apostles is derived from early church traditions. While tradition is unreliable as to small details, it very seldom contains outright inventions. Eusebius, the most important of the early church historians wrote his history of the early church in A.D. 325. He wrote, "The apostles and disciples of the Savior scattered over the whole world, preached the Gospel everywhere." The Church historian Schumacher researched the lives of the apostles and recounted the history of their martyrdoms.

Matthew suffered martyrdom in Ethiopia, killed by a sword wound.

Mark died in Alexandria, Egypt, after being dragged by horses through the streets until he was dead.

Luke was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost.

John faced martyrdom when he was boiled in a huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome. However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos. He wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation on Patmos. The apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey. He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.

Peter was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross, according to church tradition because he told his tormentors that he felt unworthy to die in the same way that Jesus Christ had died.

James the Just, the leader of the church in Jerusalem, was thrown over a hundred feet down from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller's club. This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation.

James the Greater, a son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader of the church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem. The Roman officer who guarded James watched amazed as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer walked beside James to the place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian.

Bartholomew, also know as Nathanael, was a missionary to Asia. He witnessed to our Lord in present day Turkey. Bartholomew was martyred for his preaching in Armenia when he was flayed to death by a whip.

Andrew was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Patras, Greece. After being whipped severely by seven soldiers they tied his body to the cross with cords to prolong his agony. His followers reported that, when he was led toward the cross, Andrew saluted it in these words: "I have long desired and expected this happy hour. The cross has been consecrated by the body of Christ hanging on it." He continued to preach to his tormentors for two days until he expired.

The apostle Thomas was stabbed with a spear in India during one of his missionary trips to establish the church in the subcontinent.

Jude, the brother of Jesus, was killed with arrows when he refused to deny his faith in Christ.

Matthias, the apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and then beheaded.

Barnabas, one of the group of seventy disciples, wrote the Epistle of Barnabas. He preached throughout Italy and Cyprus. Barnabas was stoned to death at Salonica.

The apostle Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment which allowed him to write his many epistles to the churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire. These letters, which taught many of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, form a large portion of the New Testament.

The details of the martyrdoms of the disciples and apostles are found in traditional early church sources. These traditions were recounted in the writings of the church fathers and the first official church history written by the historian Eusebius in A.D. 325. Although we can not at this time verify every detail historically, the universal belief of the early Christian writers was that each of the apostles had faced martyrdom faithfully without denying their faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Reference: Jeffrey, Grant R., "The Signature of God", Frontier Research Publications, Inc. (1996), p.254-257

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

iris

Re: The Deaths of the Apostles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:51:15 PM »

Kat,

That was really interesting. I've wondered about that but have never before read or heard how the apostles met their death.
Being boiled in a basin of boiling oil sounds awful. AND HE SURVIVES IT!!!
Thanks for sharing this about the apostles.

Iris

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »

Not only the lives, but the deaths of those who walked with Jesus are a great testimony to His message. 

I must, however, take exception to one of the entries...

John the apostle and who is credited with writing the Fourth Gospel did not write the Book of Revelation.  At least, that is the conclusion of about a kajillion scholars and experts.  Occasionally, as appears to be the case here, the two Johns are confused.  Here is a possible explanation:

John, Son of Zebedee (Jesus' beloved apostle), is credited with a widely-circulated book called the Apocryphon of John.  In this book, the resurrected Jesus appears to the apostle and reveals secrets about the universe including the origin of the evil creator, Ialdabaoth (but that is another thread entirely!).  This is an apocryphal text as opposed to an apocalyptic text.

John the Divine is the name given to the writer of the Apocalypse, known as the Book of Revelation.  At first, when the Bible was being assembled, it was thought that the two Johns were one and the same.  Only later was there agreement that the two Johns were separate and the title "the Divine" added.

I do not wish to diminish the lives and deaths any followers of Jesus, but thought I'd try and clarify an oft-confused identity.

Peace

Jay

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:13:43 PM »

Kat -

That was very interesting. I was never aware of how all of the desciples met their fate.

To know how God allows or pre-ordains His own chosen beloved children to suffer I just can't seem to make sense of and accept yet.
I myself am a father. I have children whom I love dearly. I would NEVER ordain them to harm or intense suffering. I would do all in my power to spare them. Because I love them. I guess I just don't understand God's love. I don't even understand why He has opened up these truths to me thus far. For instead of these things leading me to love Him more, its leading me to be afraid of Him. Certainly this cannot be what He wants, right? For then there's no security in God. You never know when He's gonna pull the rug out from under you for whatever "chastening" He determines is needful. Very scary. And to be scared of God is no better than the rest of Christendom with their "fire escape" religion of fearing the fires of hell so I better come to Christ. There's got to be a balance here somewhere. I just haven't been enlightened yet.

Peace,
Jay

Kat

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »

Hi Jay,

I think it is a question of trusting God.  We all have to suffer in this life. But if we are judged now, we will not be judged with the rest of the world in the Lake of Fire.

1Peter 4:16  But if one suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God because of this.
v. 17  For the time has come for the judgment to begin from the house of God. And if it first begins from us, what will be the end of those disobeying the gospel of God?
v. 18  And if the righteous one is scarcely saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
v. 19  Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls in well-doing, as to a faithful Creator.

The life of a believer can not expected to be easy with no trials, but I would much rather be one of those under God chastisement rather His wrath

Rom 2:5  But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,
v. 6  who "will render to each one according to his deeds":
v. 7  eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

rjsurfs

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:14:34 PM »

Pax.

What is the reasonable argument that the apostle John did not write Revelation?  Yes, I am aware that some debate this... but a "kajillion scholars and experts"? 

I have found no reason to doubt that the apostle John wrote Revelation.

Bobby

Prosizz

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »

Thanks Kat for the post.
This post should serve as reply to people who question God's love for humanity, partucilarly to those who ask why do God allows evil. The torture and death the apostles and disciples suffered in the hand of those men is a Great evil.
Definitely evil serves a grand purpose in our salvation.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »

Hello Kat

You observed : John faced martyrdom when he was boiled in a huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome. However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos. He wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation on Patmos. The apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey. He died as an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully.

John was also the only one who went to the foot of the cross. He did not run away!....

Thank you for the study.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

Jennie

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 07:23:30 PM »

Amazing to see them all grouped togethr that way. I would like to say that I could be as steadfast as they were but I don't know.
In regard to wearing a cross as jewelry I know some just consider a fashion statement but it means a little different to me. I have 2 crosses. One is on a little tiny chain with a cross, a heart and a single pearl on it. It was given me when I was 13 and beginning the next nightmare of abuse. The cross was to remind me that Jesus loves me and is always there with me, the heart was to remind me that I was loved so much  and the pearl to remind me that God can make a thing of beauty out of hardship. Ya'll know how a grain of sand gets into an oyster and it hurts but the pearl is formed.
The other cross I have is from my Michael. He gave it to me on our first Christmas. I wouldn't marry him without telling him that I had been sexually abused because I did not think that was fair to him to have a damaged wife. The little cross is in the middle of a circle and he wanted it to remind me whenever I looked at it that he loved me so much and I wasn't damaged in his eyes.The cross was to remind me of God's love and the circle around it to remind me that God's love and Michael's love is forever. So because of all that I have a little different view of wearing a cross. Jennie

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 08:11:59 PM »

Bobby,

From the looks of the entries in this thread, this may be out of place.  I will, therefore be brief...

As Early as the 3rd century, the shared authorship of the Fourth Gospel and the Book of Revelation has been seriously doubted.  Actually, it is not as much who wrote these pieces as much as it is agreed that the same person did not write these books.

Perhaps it is more correct to say that John the son of Zebedee could have been the author of Revelation because it is most likely that he did not pen the Gospel which traditionally bears his name.

The Book of Revelation bears no resemblance to the Fourth Gospel or the Epistles of John.  The grammar is different, word usage and other comparisions of literary criticism makes the likelihood of shared authorship mighty slim.

So, in short, we have the Fourth Gospel which does not claim to be written by a person named John, is called The Gospel of John while the Book of Revelation does claim to be written by someone named John.  Biblical irony.

But while the writer of Revelation occasionally mentions "the apostles" he never indicates that he is one of them.  Now look at other Epistles and notice how the authors introduce themselves.  Curious.

Even moreso in Chapter 4 of Revelation, the prophet sees 24 elders around the throne of God.  Most folks (perhaps you are not among them) have long considered these people to be the Jewish Patriarchs and the twelve apostles -- one of whom would have been John, son of Zebedee.  The author make no mention or even hints that he is seeing himself at the throne of Almighty God

I don't know about you, but if I had a vision/visit like the writer of Revelation and was shown that I would be among the honorees at the foot of God, I would probably mention that tidbit.  I'd probably have a T-shirt made up for the occasion!

Most (half a kajillion??) references put most of the parts of Revelation as written in the 60s CE.  This puts Nero as the leader of Rome (depending on who one counts as the first ruler).  There are those that claim that the book was not completed until  about 95 CE because (this will not go over well with some here) Jews in Rome used the code word "Babylon" to refer to Rome as the chief political enemy of God after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE!

This got much lengthier than I had intended and I apologize -- the main question is, what difference does it make if it is shared authorship or not?

Early Christianity happens to be an interest of mine and an area where I posess some very, very modest expertise.   I thought it would be an interesting aside to the initial post.

I would certainly recommend David Aune's The New Testament in Its Literary Environment or What Are They Saying About the Book of Revelation by Pilch.

I hope I did not cause anyone to stumble.

Peace

TimothyVI

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:44 PM »

Hi Pax,

I had heard the same thing about the authorship of Revelation.
It seems that most churches still teach that it was the apostle John that
wrote both the book of John and Revelation though.

Thanks for the referencees.

Tim

gmik

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 09:23:05 PM »

Actually, I had heard that also and had no trouble w/ it.  Seems like someone here gave us a link to it.  Quite lengthy but detailed.

I had been researching early church history and early church fathers on various websites before I was dragged over to Rays. ;)

I was very interested but haven't studied as much as of late.  But I was getting very convinced that early on many things went amuck in Christendom.  God was preparing me to move on out.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:38:31 PM »

With no due assumed respect to the so called experts 1 Tim 6 : 20 " ..guard the treasure you were given! Guard it with your life. AVOID the talk-show religion and the practiced confusion of the so - called experts. People caught up in a lot of talk can miss the whole point of faith. guard and keep the deposit entrusted to you. Turn away from the irreverent babble and godless chatter, with the vain and empty and worldly phrases, and the subtleties and the contradictions in what is falsely called knowledge and spiritual illumination. 1 Tim 1 : 4 Nor give importance to or occupy yourselves with legends, fables, myths and endless genealogies, which foster and promote useless speculations and questionings rather than acceptance in faith of God's administration and the divine training that is in faith, in that leaning of the entire human personality on God in absolute trust and confidence.

2 Tim 3 : 16 EVERY Scripture is God breathed...........

The Apocrypha is not considered as Scripture therefore it is not God breathed, neither is it given by His inspiration and neither is it profitable for instruction....so why discuss it? (Rhetorical question.) It is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. I am glad I am out of Mystery Babylon and its snares and plagues of intrigue and I do not desire to accomodate its teachings and illustrious illusions, deceptive and decieving hypocrisy and pretensions deluding and seducing spirits and doctrines that demons teach.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 09:43:23 PM by Arcturus »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 09:55:51 PM »

this is copied from Chuckt from the thread What religios in Babylon. I think this information fits here too.
Thanks Chuckt-Euty

we are told what is mystery babylon in scriptures:

Rev 17:18  And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

what reigns over the kings of the earth? confusion!!

babylon= babel which literal means "confusion by mixing"
mystery means:hidden thing, secret, mystery confided only to the initiated and not to ordinary mortals a hidden or secret thing, not obvious to the understanding a hidden purpose or counsel
secret will 1c

so we see only few know about it and few understand to come out. come out of what? confusion by mixing.

we be not concerned of worldly things so ours is a spiritual exodus, and we understand what is mixed in the religious community "today"

physical/spiritual
grace/law
 and: what was confused in the beginning??? ((language)) the original tower of babel!!!!!!!that great city still exsists today.how many christians do you know confused by reading the bible from a 21st century mindset and seeing the words and not knowing???

ray has a perfect example:

The "hell" as the English used it in everyday life in the 1600’s:

Webster’s Twentieth Century Dictionary: "hell, n. [ME, helle; AS, hell, hell, from helan, to cover, conceal.]"

The "hell" of the 21st Century:

The American Heritage Collegiate Dictionary: "The abode of condemned souls and devils...the place of eternal punishment for the wicked after death, presided over by Satan…a state of separation from God…a place of evil, misery, discord, or destruction …torment, anguish."

is it not evident when we see churches resembling  the world and its ways.

when we see confusion we can remember Pauls insight shared with Timothy 2 tim 1 : 7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; bot of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 8 Be not ashamed of the testimony of our Lord.....

The Testimony of our Lord is the book of Revelations!

Peace to you

M_Oliver

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 10:00:03 PM »

The original post once again causes me to doubt where WE are.  You who are reading this, ME, Ray and all the others who have understood Ray's teachings enough to actually become a member of this board.  For a LONG time I have had a real problem with people thinking they are suffering some kind of persecution when something happens to them that happens to thousands and thousands of people every day.

People who believe Jesus was the Messiah as well as people who don't even know His name SUFFER every damn day in this world.  They lose children to disease, accident's and brutal murder's.  They suffer financially.  They get fired from their job's.  They get blown up in terrorist attacks.  Do you believe all of them are the "elect"?  Of course not.

So how can we who understand universal reconciliation, the resurrection of the dead, many called-few chosen and the lie of eternal punishment think we are any more the "elect" rather than the "many called"?  I submit we cannot.

God made me fatherless at the age of 8 and my mother a widow at the age of 27 via a car crash.  This is ABSOLUTELY nothing compared to what happened to the Apostles in the OP personally.  They truly LIVED Galatians 2:20.  Christ was brutally murdered, the people who He truly lived His life in were brutally murdered and in the case of John brutally tortured PERSONALLY and physically.  None of us has suffered like this because of WHAT WE BELIEVE.  Noone in power seeks to murder us because of these doctrines.  What does it mean?  I wish I knew!

This also begs the question of-Why isn't there a recorded history over the generations of the "elect" being brutally murdered as Christ and the Apostles were?  Why?  Did God change the rules for being "elect" after the first century?  No Scripture I am aware of supports that.   

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 10:08:02 PM »

Hello MOlivier

As far as I know there is no one who is Elect while still alive. The Elect are those found faithful unto death. so this would fit with the fact that non are born again in this life and non are saved either until Christ returns and then only the Elect will be saved and the others will be corrected through the LOF until all are saved finally because God does not WILL that any should perish but His plan is some will perish and He will restore and save them.

The thought came to me that we are in the last hour and not in the heat of the day as are some of God's servants in the vineyard were when He first called them in the earlier part of the day. This is symbolic of our times. We are getting far easier access to the Kingdom than Paul who was sorely punished and persecuted in his day! What excuse will we have?....

Bless you for your thoughts and humble regard for our Almighty and Sovereign God that comes through your post.

Peace to you

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:10:49 PM by Arcturus »

Kat

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 10:37:43 PM »

Hi M Oliver,

I see your point, but I agree with Arcturus, we are in a different time of this age.  Things at the time of the apostles were so different than now.  The apostles knew Christ personally and was taught by Him and I believe this gave them the strength and courage to endure what they did.  At this time we are at a different phase of the age, and so were the elect down through the generations. 
We are blessed to not have to face what the apostles did, and I am thankful for that.

Pax, I see what you are saying;

The Book of Revelation bears no resemblance to the Fourth Gospel or the Epistles of John. The grammar is different, word usage and other comparisons of literary criticism makes the likelihood of shared authorship mighty slim.

But there are somethings that I would consider. The different situations of the writings of the 2 books. John may have used an amanuensis (secretary) to edit his gospel book, but would not have had one for the writing of Revelation, while on Patmos. This could have been the reason for the difference writing styles.

So, in short, we have the Fourth Gospel which does not claim to be written by a person named John, is called The Gospel of John while the Book of Revelation does claim to be written by someone named John. Biblical irony

The fact that the Revelation was to be distributed to the seven churches, now wouldn't all the churches have to know this 'John' and to regard him with great respect to take this letter with any weight. Obviously the early churches all thought that John the apostle was the author.
And another thing John was Jesus' beloved friend and perhaps the disciple most intimate with Him.
Also Jesus said to John, "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom (Matt. 16:28)." The awesome thing about this scripture is that John did see the coming of Christ, while in vision(Rev 9:17) and writing the book of Revelation.
I think all the other apostles were already martyred by 96 AD, so I think Jesus would have revealed this to one of the twelve, therefore John's life was preserved for this purpose perhaps.

It is not an issue for me either Arcturus  :)
But just thought I would comment.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »

Thank you Kat

I really enjoy and value this Scripture from Col 3 : 15 And let the peace, soul harmony which comes from Christ rule, act as umpire continually in your hearts, deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state to which as members of Christs's one body you were also called to live. And be thankful, appreciative, giving praise to God always. 16 Let the word spoken by Christ the Messiah have its home in your hearts and minds and dwell in you in all its richness as you teach and admonish and train one another in all  insight and intelligence and wisdom in spiritual things..........

to add to what you brought forward : Also Jesus said to John, "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom (Matt. 16:28)."

May be this would fit as a second witness where Jesus said to Peter in John  ;D 21 : 22 Jesus said to him (Peter) If I want him to stay, survive, live until I come, what is that to you? What concern is it of yours? YOU follow ME!

Peace to you Sister

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:02:20 PM by Arcturus »

rjsurfs

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 11:22:46 PM »

Sometimes we don't want to be involved with "issues" but we also shouldn't pitter-patter around the truth... this is Bible-Truths after all... correct?  Are we not here to help us in our knowledge of the truth? 

It is best to "nip it in the bud" as I have seen on Craig's signature... if not, the next thing you know you have a grassy knoll... or subtle half-truths that creep in and cause us to stray.  A further thought may be to question the authorship of all the books of the Bible... or wonder if they were inspired after all...  I think not.

In addition to what Kat mentioned there were many, many writers that lived in the same century as John the apostle and referred to him directly as the author of the Apocalypse.  The style itself in the writing is not so different from the gospel book... as is the subject matter, the method it was delivered, etc... full of visions, types, and symbolisms...

There is of course the obvious that John mentions Patmos... why would we theorize there being another such respected "John" on Patmos?

With a little study you find this many, many year old debate is not based on historical facts at all... this has it roots with Martin Luther and doctrinal disagreements in the church.

I would hope that guests visiting our forum don't click away thinking we are now disputing that John the Apostle authored Revelation.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:23:44 PM by Bobby Proctor »

Falconn003

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »

scooby-doo could have written the translated book of Revelation for all i care.

Although whom God choosed to inspire to write Revelation in Hebrew and Greek, has indeed served it's purpose, according to God's plan.

The PURPOSE of REVELATION to REVEAL Jesus the Christ, too the reader, is the focal point of book. Has had a great succes in revealing Jesus too like minded individuals.

God bless
Rodger
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.