bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Those who have suffered  (Read 5077 times)

aktikt

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Those who have suffered
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:16:32 PM »

I began noticing something about people I enjoy being around and friends who I like.  They all have suffered.  I then began thinking about this in terms of the Lord Jesus and wow, I began to be blown away.  What a great Friend we have in Him.
Shakespeare-There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

rjsurfs

Re: Those who have suffered
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:55:24 PM »

So true... He is a friend indeed.

John 15:15 No longer am I terming you slaves, for the slave is not aware what his lord is doing. Yet I have declared you friends, for all that I hear from My Father I make known to you."

Jackie Lee

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:25:32 AM »

I also enjoy friends that have been through much, it makes communicating easier.

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:31:48 AM »

Bobby,

Amen and amen.  What a simple and beautiful way of stating it.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »

Aktikt

Yes! A broken heart can carry more love and light can shine better through the broken places!

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

YellowStone

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:33:26 AM »

Aktikt you wrote: :)

I began noticing something about people I enjoy being around and friends who I like.  They all have suffered.  I then began thinking about this in terms of the Lord Jesus and wow, I began to be blown away.  What a great Friend we have in Him.

We all suffer and have suffered in varying amounts, by the will of our God. I thought a study on the word suffer would be beneficial in understanding Pauls real message in the follow Scripture.

1Cr 9:12 If others be partakers of [this] power over you, [are] not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

Suffer - stego {steg'-o} [4722] Strongs

1) deck, thatch, to cover
    a) to protect or keep by covering, to preserve
2) to cover over with silence
    a) to keep secret
    b) to hide, conceal
        1) of the errors and faults of others
3) by covering to keep off something which threatens, to bear up against, hold out against, and so endure, bear, forbear

I find the truthful meaning behind the word suffer very enlightning when compared to a common English rendition.

Suffer: (Encarta Dictionary)

1. transitive and intransitive verb feel pain: to feel pain or great discomfort in body or mind

2. transitive and intransitive verb undergo something unpleasant: to experience or undergo something unpleasant or undesirable

3. transitive and intransitive verb endure something: to put up with something painful or unpleasant

The Greek meaning behind the word basically focuses on covering, hiding and concealing and even meantions suffering by covering to keep off something which threatens, to bear up against, hold out against, and so endure. This meaning is almost in total contrast to the english rendition which focuses on feeling pain, experiencing something unpleasant or undesirable.

The differences are staggering.  :o

Paul did NOT say: Nevertheless we have not used this power; but feel pain and all manner of unpleasantries and experince undesirable things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. :(

But rather said: Nevertheless we have not used this power; but seek always to cover over to protect, conceal, hide and otherwise keep secret things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

I have learned much from this. What I formaly believed was "suffering pain, lenduring oss and hardship"  :(

The word endure does not appear in the Greek meaning. I have learned that suffering is not POST-TRAUMATIC, but actually pre-emptive protection in order to conceal or hide.

I hope someone else gets as much out of this study as I did. The truth is staggering !!

Your brother in Christ,
Darren
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:34:27 AM by YellowStone »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:00:27 AM »

To add to this study Darren:

You observe:

The word endure does not appear in the Greek meaning. I have learned that suffering is not POST-TRAUMATIC, but actually preemptive protection in order to conceal or hide.

To bring this even more, the Interlinear Scripture Analyser says this word means " We-are-EXCLUDING : We-are-FORGOING.

So yes, I think this meaning means exactly what you observe in your post.

Good find. Thank you for sharing.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.