bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Destroyed by the Sword  (Read 6894 times)

hillsbororiver

Destroyed by the Sword
« on: March 31, 2007, 01:01:35 PM »

1Co 15:46  Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

We have had some discussions in the recent past about the destruction mentioned in the OT, I believe the above verse can give us a key to understanding the bigger messages inside some of these OT scriptures.

First physical Israel (with the Lord at her side) used the literal sword to overcome its enemies, spiritual Israel (under the direction of the Lord) uses the "Sword of His Word" to destroy the carnal nature of those whose names are not in "The Book of Life."

Do you see the spiritual implications in the following verses? 

Lev 26:7  And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword.

Lev 26:8  And five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.

Lev 26:36  And upon them that are left alive of you I will send a faintness into their hearts in the lands of their enemies; and the sound of a shaken leaf shall chase them; and they shall flee, as fleeing from a sword; and they shall fall when none pursueth.

Deu 32:41  If I whet my glittering sword and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.

Deu 33:29  Happy art thou, O Israel: who is like unto thee, O people saved by the LORD, the shield of thy help, and who is the sword of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall be found liars unto thee; and thou shalt tread upon their high places.

Est 9:5  Thus the Jews smote all their enemies with the stroke of the sword, and slaughter, and destruction, and did what they would unto those that hated them.

Eze 6:3  And say, Ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord GOD; Thus saith the Lord GOD to the mountains, and to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys; Behold, I, even I, will bring a sword upon you, and I will destroy your high places.

Isa 1:20  But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Hag 2:22  And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.

The Sword of His Word will be the tool of this spiritual destruction; 

Eph 6:17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Rev 1:16  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Rev 2:16  Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Rev 19:15  And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Destroyed by the Sword
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 01:13:46 PM »

You and Paul nailed it!
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

Kat

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »

Hi Joe,

The scriptures you have presented go right along with what I have been reading.  It is a spiritual warfare, as you said;

spiritual Israel (under the direction of the Lord) uses the "Sword of His Word" to destroy the carnal nature of those whose names are not in "The Book of Life."

Isa 13:3  I have commanded My holy ones, I have also called My mighty ones for anger, those who rejoice in My highness.
v. 4  The noise of a multitude in the mountains, as of a great people; a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together; Jehovah of Hosts gathers an army for the battle.
v. 5  They come from a far country, from the end of the heavens, Jehovah and the weapons of His indignation, to destroy all the land.
v. 6  Howl! For the day of Jehovah is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
v. 9  Behold, the day of Jehovah comes, cruel and with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land waste; and He shall destroy its sinners out of it.

The OT is full of the symbolic warfare that will take place over the whole earth, when Christ returns to conquer all.  The elect have the chastisment of God now, the rest of the world will have to face the wrath of God later, but it's always for bringing us to righteousness.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 05:01:06 PM by Kat »

hebrewroots98

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »

Kat,
Didn't you mean to say in your last sentence here is that the elect has the chastisement now and they will..... 'NOT'.... have to face the wrath of God later..... ;)

Kat

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 02:34:47 PM »

Hi Susan,

Yes, by they I meant the rest of the world.
thanks for noticing my incomplete explanation.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Redbird

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 04:41:29 PM »

Hi All,

I too, was contemplating this today, when thinking about the physical war that is being fought right now in this world.  And it dawned on me ~ how that really isn't as much as my concern as is the spiritual war that is going on right now, also.  Can this be taking place as we speak??  Has the battle begun?  Well, in my heart, I feel victory has already been won......
                       FOR THINE IS THE KINGDOM, AND THE POWER, AND THE GLORY, FOREVER!

Love, Lisa 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:51:33 PM by Redbird »

iris

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 05:34:13 PM »

Great scriptures to think about.
Thanks for sharing.

Iris

Kat

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »

Hi Lisa,

You ask;

Can this be taking place as we speak??  Has the battle begun?

The spiritual warfare is now for the elect, to overcoming their flesh.
The letter Paul sent to Timothy is encouraging him in this struggle that they were going through.

1Ti 1:18  This charge I commit to you, my son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before about you, in order that you might war a good warfare by them,
v. 19  holding faith and a good conscience, which some have put away and made shipwreck as to faith.

1Tim 6:11  But you, O man of God, flee these things and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and meekness.
v. 12  Fight the good fight of faith. Lay hold on eternal life, to which you are also called and have professed a good profession before many witnesses.

It is this good fight that has begun now, for those elected to the household of God.

1Peter 4:17  For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

The "outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?"

Rom 2:8  but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.

Rev 20:15  And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »

A thought provoking post Joe.

Luke 21 : 24 They will fall by the mouth and the edge of the sword and will be led away as captives to and among all nations; and Jerusalem will be trodden down by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Rom 11 : 25 For I would not, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your won conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

I did not know that the word Gentiles can also be understood to mean Pagans who are outside of the Orthodox Jewish religion. So Christiandom is Gentile and pagan and to them the Lord will say I know you not depart from me. How cutting are those words for anyone to hear! Rather, welcome my good and faithful servant or friend. Come enter my Kingdom. Even those words not addressed to oneself but given to another to ones exclusion can burn deep wounds of regret and bring gnashing of teeth.

The way that Paul wrote to the Romans about the fullness of the Gentiles to come in....could he also have meant ...the fullness of the Gentiles to have COME OUTof the world and paganism?

Gen 3 : 24 So God drove out the man; and He placed at the east of the Garden of Eden the cherubim and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep and guard the way to the tree of life.

Rev 22: 14, 19 Blessed, happy and to be envied are those who cleanse their garments, that they may have the authority and right to approach the tree of life and to enter through the gates into the city. 14 But without are the dogs and those who practice sorceries and impurity and murderers and idolaters and everyone who loves and deals in falsehood, untruth, error, deception, cheating.

Does this not describe the WORLD TODAY!?...These words to us do not cut us as a sword but are encouragements to our souls and minds as we look towards Christ who has overcome the world and has...

...As you notice Lisa...the victory!

...Even so,  come Lord Jesus come!

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

Redbird

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 02:29:35 AM »

Kat and Arcturus,

You ladies are such a blessing.  I am learning so much from this forum.  Speaking of Revelation, you all with get a kick out of this;

Around 9-11, I was so sure the end was coming or even had perhaps came, but then I heard some dogs barking in my neighborhood, and thought...Oh, not just yet, the "dogs" are still here!  And thanks to Ray's site, I can finally stop searching the ground for that "white stone" with a new name written in it.  I can laugh at myself now, and these thoughts still bring a smile to my face...when I think of how much I just did not understand.  And praise be to God, through Jesus Christ, we are all still learning.

Peace to you,
Lisa

DWIGHT

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 02:54:54 AM »

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb. 4:12

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. NLT

Praise God for His Sword the Word

Dwight

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 06:09:10 AM »

Lets compare the WORD of God and the TESTIMONEY of Jesus Christ.

Gods word is Spirit and life.

John 6 : 63 It is the Spirit Who gives life, He is the Life-giver; the flesh conveys no benefit whatever, there is not profit in it. The words, truths that I have been speaking to you are spirit and life.

It is present tense, direct from God to the reader, personal, not stuck in past time. Alive Now and for the NOW for those who find the words of Spirit and life.

Matt 22 ; 31,32 But as to the resurrection of the dead - have you never read what was said to you by God:32 I Am the God of Abraham,and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead but of the living!

The testimony of God in Revelations concerning His Son, is a now living testimony, that is alive in everyone and is alive in us! Some are to be destroyed and others to be witness to Christ. As Joe shows in the sequel of scriptures. Not all who call Lord Lord will be saved from the indignation and wrath of God who is opposed to hypocrisy, double standards, self aggrandisement and arrogance.

As I discover my life is also in Revelations I can begin to mark how far I have been restored to God through sharing Christs Cross. My flesh is still alive but it is becoming subjected to His Spirit of life and truth. My God and your God  too is the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and this has not passed away but is accomplished in and fulfilled by Christ and is being made complete in us as we repent for our flesh and begin to live lives in deeper dependence and recognition of the life He lived (Past) the life He gives not as the world gives but as He gives and bequeaths to us in peace (present) and the life He promises in victory for those chosen to overcome (future).

AS this all becomes ONE I believe we begin to live in the moment in greater clarity and light as we pass from past present and future into His Glorious presence from where we can stand and live in right standing with God more than that of the scribes and Pharisees.

As Ray writes somewhere...It is all Christ coming to us!

Come Lord Jesus come!

It is all one! The ONE...Christ Jesus! Alive yesterday today and tomorrow the same.

Peace be to you

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 06:10:32 AM by Arcturus »

YellowStone

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 12:03:01 AM »

Arcturus, I really like this: :)

AS this all becomes ONE I believe we begin to live in the moment in greater clarity and light as we pass from past present and future into His Glorious presence from where we can stand and live in right standing with God more than that of the scribes and Pharisees.

Living the moment is not "forgetting" God as many would believe today; this is just existing and not "living."

But you are so right! We can only truly begin to live in peace and harmony in right standing with God whenn God comes to the forefront of our lives. One begins to notice things otherwise never before noticed. I know I am now feeling appreciation for almost everything because I see God right here with me. God is indeed the God of the living and when one truly opens their hearts, souls and minds to him, and He comes in, the changes in ones life is staggering, not only in the eyes of oneself, but also in the eyes of others.

Appreciation and Gratitude destroy lthe strangle hold of ust and pride, which are the trademarks of carnal man. Whereas, appreciation and gratitude of and towards God for all that He has freely given us, both positive and negative, can only come from God.

Great Post Arcturus :)

Your brother in Christ,
Darren
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:36:09 AM by YellowStone »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »

Isa 66:5  Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

1Th 1:6  And ye became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

1Th 1:9  For they themselves show of us what manner of entering in we had unto you and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

1Th 1:10  And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

It is an amazing thing how the Sword of His Word cuts through the leaven of man made idols and doctrines giving His people the hope of His Promise to all mankind and also how His Word hardens the hearts of those who cannot bear it's Truths.

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

Joe

These two scriptures come to mind from your post.

2 Cor 2 : 15 for we are the sweet fragrance of Christ which exhales unto god, discernible alike among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; 16To the latter it is an aroma wafted from death to death, a fatal odor, the smell of doom;p to the former it is an aroma from life to life, a vital fragrance, living and fresh.

Hebrews 9 : 28 Even so it is that Christ, having been offered to take upon Himself and bear as a burden the sins of many once and once for all, will appear a second time, not to carry any burden of sin nor to deal with sin, but to bring to full salvation those who are eagerly, constantly, and patiently waiting for and expecting Him.
thank you for your Scripture arousing post!

peace to you

hillsbororiver

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 07:11:07 PM »

Hi Arcturus,

Great observation!

Brings to mind the old English saying "One man's meat is another man's poison."

Here is another scripture testifying to how His Word slays some while giving life to others.

(Before any objections arise I want to make clear that ALL will EVENTUALLY be saved by our Lord's Word and Sacrifice.)

Zec 9:1  The burden of the word of the LORD in the land of Hadrach and Damascus shall be the rest thereof: when the eyes of man, as of all the tribes of Israel, shall be toward the LORD.

Joe

YellowStone

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 11:35:50 PM »

Hi Joe and Arcturus :)

You have both gladdened my heart by the wonderful and timely Scriptures you both posted.

I'm not sure why, but this Scripture jumped out at me :)

2 Timothy 2:11-13
11 Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him, we will also live with him;

12 if we endure, we will also reign with him.
    If we disown him, he will also disown us;

13 if we are faithless, he will remain faithful,
    for he cannot disown himself.

To know that he will never loose faith in us regardless of the condition of our faith has to be the cornerstone of unconditional love. The same can be said for his words which "is, was and will be" the same always.

Great discussion everyone and very thought provoking.

Love to you all in Christ.
Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.