bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Except it was given you from above(?)  (Read 5564 times)

Brett

Except it was given you from above(?)
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:52:11 PM »

Hi again ;D,

I am wondering when Jesus said (John 19:10-11), "You could have no power at all against me except it was given you from above..." is from GOD or is from god of this world?

Because I know GOD is above, but also Satan above, see verse:

Eph. 6:12
"...powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

"Heavenly places" is also above, too?

I need to make sure I understand correct. I do not like understand wrong :P.

Hope you can help :).

Thanks,
Brett :D 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:04:03 AM by Brett »

Redbird

Re: Except it was given you from above(?)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:38:07 AM »

Hi Brett,

Is that a trick question??  I'm just kidding.  Remember, ALL IS OF GOD.  Even Satan is subject to the Father.

Peace to you dear brother,
Lisa

josh

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »

Brett,

I believe these scriptures will help you to see that ultimately all power come from God, The Father, above.

Act 2:22  Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Act 2:23  Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Act 2:24  Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Act 4:26  The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.
Act 4:27  For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
Act 4:28  For to do whatsoever thy [God's] hand and thy [God's] counsel determined before to be done.

And of course...

Eph 1:11  In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him (God) who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Hope this helps.

God's Peace.
Josh

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:43:53 AM by In Medias Res »

Brett

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:58:59 AM »

Lisa,

I know you kidding me. It is my concerning question. Yes, I remember God is of all  :). Maybe my question is not clear enough. It just I see the scriptures like Satan and God are from above. If that is correct, I do not have problem with that. I'm just too hungry to understand the deep things ;). Thank you.

Josh, you did well quotes. I have seen this before, but still I need to re-read ;D. Thanks!

Brett

Redbird

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:45:05 AM »

Dear Brett,

Sometimes, I just see things in the simplest form, because God is in control.  CDJ said when we realize this, that is when our "burden becomes light".  I don't know all the "deep things" and that sits well with me.  As far as all being from of above, that may be, but some BELONG to THIS world and others BELONG to the LORD, while in this world. 

John 3:31  He that cometh from above is above all:  he that is of the earth, is earthy, and speaketh of the earth:  he that cometh from heaven, is ABOVE ALL.

John 8:23  And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

1 John 4:4  Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

This to me says carnel man (Moses commands) is earthy but spritual man (Jesus commands) is heavenly.

Peace, Lisa
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:18:42 AM by Redbird »

Kat

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:28:25 PM »

Hi Brett,

I know what you mean;

I'm just too hungry to understand the deep things .

Lisa, gave some good scripture.

John 3:31  He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.

I thought this phrase "from above" in this verse, could be looked into further.

"from above" G509
anōthen
Thayer Definition:
1) from above, from a higher place
1a) of things which come from heaven or God
2) from the first, from the beginning, from the very first
3) anew, over again

I think that helps us see what this means.   And these scripture also can help us see this.

Eph 4:9  (Now this, "He ascended"--what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
v. 10  He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)

"far above" G5231
huperanō
Strong definition
From G5228 and G507; above upward, that is, greatly higher (in place or rank): - far above, over.

So this all seems to say that using the word 'above' means a higher place of authority, rank and glory, and everything else is 'under' God. 
So He would always be considered 'above' figuratively and it is also spoken that way literally as well.

Rom 13:1 "Let every soul be subject to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except under God. Now those which are, have been set under God," (CLV)

Hope this helps  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:18:32 PM »

Kat, that was a great answer. :)

Brett, just to elaborate on this a little further,

When we are told:

John 3:31  He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.

He is above ALL that we know. This of course does not mean that he is higher as in height than all, because ALL is in him and he encompasses all. :)

1Cr 8:6 But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.

Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all

God by nature surrounds everything, so when we are told that He is "above" all things, it obviously means something different than we can fully comprehend.

Kathy, made a good point about being higher in authority, but it could also mean a "higher" dimension, a spiritual realm perhaps. This would lend itself very well with the Scripture you quoted.

Eph. 6:12
"...powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

A great question and I hope you are finding answers that help. :)

Your brother in Christ,
Darren

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:42:45 PM by YellowStone »

Kat

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:03:26 PM »

Hi Darren,

He is above ALL that we know. This of course does not mean that he is higher than all, because ALL is in him.

1Cr 8:6 But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.

Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all

God by nature surrounds everything, so when we are told that He is "above" all things, it obviously means something different than we can fully comprehend.

I can't understand what you have said here  "This of course does not mean that he is higher than all... it obviously means something different than we can fully comprehend"  ???

Psa 97:9  For You, Jehovah, are high above all the earth; You are lifted on high far above all gods.

Psa 113:4  Jehovah is high above all nations, and His glory above the heavens.

Neh 9:5 ... Stand up and bless Jehovah your God forever and ever. And blessed be Your glorious name, which is exalted above allblessing and praise.

John 3:31  He who comes from above is above allis above all; he who is from the earth is earthly and speaks from the earth. He who comes from Heaven is above all,

Eph 4:4  There is one body and one Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling,
v. 5  one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
v. 6  one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in you all.

I do not have a problem comprehending that God is 'above all.'  I just except it as according to the scripture, by faith  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:30:32 PM by Kat »

PKnowler

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 11:45:01 PM »

Kat,

I think I understand what Darren is saying here.

Darren Quoted in Blue:
He is above ALL that we know.

Darren acknowledges that God is above all in authority.

This of course does not mean that he is higher as in height than all, because ALL is in him and he encompasses all

What Darren is saying is that God is everywhere! He is omnipresent.

I think what Darren is saying is that we can't fully comprehend that God is everywhere and surrounds everything!

Those are my thoughts on what Darren wrote. And I have to agree! I can't comprehend God's omnipresence! It blows my mind to think about it.

Blessings!  :)
~Paula

Kat

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 01:48:53 AM »

Hi Paula,

Well certainly I can't understand how God is omnipresent. 
But for me it's more of realizing He is not like us, but Spirit. 
I guess I am not trying to look at this in a literal way, as His spirit being at the same level or height with us, because His spirit is in us.
I want to think of God as above all things, in authority, and is superior in every way, even if His spirit is in us. 
It's not something I try to comprehend, but just except it.
I guess we are looking at it kind of differently  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »

Thanks Paula,

You got what I was trying to say :)

Kathy, I am not taking 'height' as a literal measurement, as in something that we could measure in feet and inches.

God surrounds/encompasses us (all is in him,) of course he is higher, but then he could be said to be wider and lower, if we take 'higher' as a literal measurement. The Earth revolves, when we are up, others are down. :)

When God say's 'higher' it means something different. Spirits by nature are of a higher 'realm' than us, and of cause he is the 'highest' authoritative figure (nonliteral.) I really do not see where we differ.

Kat my dear sister, I was agreeing with you. :)

Your brother in Christ,
Darren
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:02:58 AM by YellowStone »

Kat

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »

Hi Darren,

Ok the more I think about it the more it does seem we are saying the same.  Just a case of me trying to make to much of something I guess  ;D

mercy, peace, and love
Kat
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.