bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the wicked blessed by God with prosperity?  (Read 10838 times)

mrsnacks

Are the wicked blessed by God with prosperity?
« on: April 06, 2007, 03:52:50 PM »

As I look around it seems that the wicked are being blessed left and right. On the surface it seems that there are those who could care less about God seem being blessed out of their socks. Look at the so called Donald Trumps and many others. Even those around in my circle ( employers). And many believers who struggle and struggle financially. Then there are those who are the televangelists who parade in their $1000 suits and dresses on tv raking in the money off of making christians tithe and give their much needed money to them to make them wealthy. Notice in their giving they haven't gotten back according to the prosperity teaching. I recall going to a parking lot of one of those mega prosperity churches one Sunday. A lot of run down cars and very few new ones.  Is money necessarily a blessing from God ? There is a reason and purpose when there are those blessed with riches. God isn't a respector of persons so what gives. Anyway your thoughts.

rrammfcitktturjsp

Re: Are the wicked blessed by God with prosperity?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »

Mrsnacks,

They may look blessed now, but you cannot judge the internal part of them their hearts.  They may have all those blessings but inside may be hurting so much and ect.  They may have drama and trials going on in their lives that you are not aware of.  Look not to others or what they have, only focus on what you have and that is the Truth.  When we look out in the world and see all the wrong done, we can only go one way and that is the way of despair.  Look heavenward and all will be worth it.

They will go through their time of judgement.  It is far better to lose friends that are healthy relationships, to go through this life with enough or poor, then lose the Truth.

If I might encourage you not to look their way.  Focus on what you have and ect.  I get very upset by what goes on in the world, but when I see my son smile, my husband say I love you, Friends help me in times of need when others turn their back, and ect. well I am extremely blessed.

May you be blessed in life so much by God and Truth that you will not even notice the world or those that are in it.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

mrsnacks

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »

Thanks for your comforting words of truth. You are so right. It is so easy to get distracted any turn our heads and look the other way at others. And turning away and not seeing how blessed I am.

At a church I attend some were very upset at the pastor's decision to spend thousnads on redoing the church so it could look better . Plus money to spend on the interior. BUt while there are those who aren't able to work who attend  church because of sickness are ignored. OH yes- we pray for them. Some of us have taken action but the pastor is more interested at the building and not the people. Sad .

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »

Mrsnacks,

You are so welcome for those words.

I can relate to that story.  One time at a very prominent church a family came in asking for money to get food and to get gas in their car.  Well we were holding the financial meeting and so i knew the left over balence and such, and it was to the tune to several thousands of dollars.  At this time we were doing some major renovation to this church but still had so much blessings left over.  Well, I heard the pastor say to this family sry we do not have enough money.  I just simply walked over to them and gave them 100.00 dollars without saying anything to them, but wishing them God's blessings.  At the time that was all the money that I had in the world.  I looked at the minister and asked, for you to stand up here and to preach that we have faith in God that he will provide for us and that we should take care of our brothers and sisters, but to see you expressing doubt in the church's finances.  That pastor knew that was all the money that I had.

I later found out, that the family is doing okay and got to where they needed to go.  And that blesses me.  Oh and somewhere out of the blue, I found a mail in the check for 500.00 dollars and it did not bounce.  What a blessing that was.

The churches of today miss out on so many blessings by not extending a helping hand to those in need.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

mrsnacks

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:36:36 PM »

I was happy to hear that you stood up to the pastor. What was his reaction ? I have felt that there are things I  should say in God's time to the leadership at church . Believe me I have said plenty already. Even some of the new revelation God has given me. I have been very careful not to get ahead of God. You don't give a 5 year old algebra you have been taught. The 5 year old can't handle it. LIkewise - many of the truths we know and have learned are not for us to share even though we would like to. So I withold truths and trust God to use me to reveal these things in His time.

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »

Is prosperity another word for blessing?  Is church membership growth a measure of God's favor? 

I certainly hope not.

Peace

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 06:02:21 PM »

I don't know how much earthly riches (money, possessions) count toward happiness or fulfilment, having it may be just one less thing to worry about but if your guilt needs to be drunk or drugged away or your envying lusts are so powerful that you never feel quenched or satisfied it doesn't much matter if you are poor or rich (materially).

Years ago I ran a Temp. Service and I noticed how some of the very poor even homeless shared an egotistical, selfish and "me first" personality that I ran across while interacting with some of the very rich people in a former job. It amazed me how very similar they were to each other personality wise.

To me it always seemed rather obvious that those who made "prosperity" the focal point of their religion were in reality worshipping the golden calf, the idol of self and in the service or bondage of lust for mammon.

Mat 6:24  No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Gee, I wonder if the above verse sees the light of day at one of these "prosperity" sermons or events?

His Peace to you,

Joe

NickyM

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 07:04:23 PM »

Mat 6:24  No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Amen to that. I was just about to say the same thing. But I would like to add few points.

I think they are not blessed at all. I think they are more cursed than blessed!

Luke 18:25  "For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God."

If a person has lots of money, it easily comes to the point, where he thinks more about how he spends his money than how he spends his life.

I would like to ask those prosperity-people, that how many children have died when you bought that new Ferrari. Thet would probably say that no children has died. I would tell him that AIDS-medicine for African children costs below 5 dollars and then I would like to ask him to count how many kids would have received their medicine if he would have sticked to his old rusty Ladamobile. I dare to say that many children have died because the great spiritual leader chose to buy a new car instead of helping them.

I think that our God is testing those people. They have much, but do they give it to those, who are in need? I think they failed big time.

God bless you all with spiritual treasures!

(And I'm not suggesting that we don't need cars and stuff like that. It is a fact that it's pretty damn hard to work in the western world if you don't have a car because of the distance. ^^)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 07:07:29 PM by NickyM »

rick

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 07:55:37 PM »

God has sought fit to prosper me beyond what i could have ever deserved. my heart is desperately wicked and i really deserve nothing in this life. but having His peace is worth so much more than all the material possessions that He has blessed me with.........Rick

LittleBear

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 11:45:40 PM »

My life had been going pretty smoothly (for me) for many years, lots of blessings, until two years ago. (not surprisingly that was when God opened my eyes to His truths) Now my life and everything around me is slowly deteriorating. Lets see, in the last two years my mother-in-law died, my mother got sick and almost died, my father got Alzheimers, my husband got diabetes, depression, went on stress leave and then resigned from his job, and is not in any hurry to find himself another job, and to top it off he recently stole a significant amount of money from my parents without me being aware. I don't trust my husband much right now and that feels terrible. I get very depressed. God is chastening me.

All I can say is, the Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord! It may all be deteriorating on the outside, but He is mine and is leading me into knowing Him and changing my nature to be conformed to that of His Son. I am grateful.

Ursula

mrsnacks

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 05:59:44 AM »

You just never know. God knows but we don't know what lies ahead.

I was picked up at the airport yesterday by a driver out of town. I had to travel on business. The driver and I were headed to the hotel and while on the freeway there was a truck on the right side of us and a car pulling a trailer on the left side. The car suddenly pulled over into our lane and caused us to swerve almost smashing us into the truck. My driver beeped his horn and with good manuevering avoided what seemed to be an accident on the way to happen. It would've been ugly with all of us going around 70 mph. I then gave thanks to God and said to the driver that this just showed us how in an instant our lives can be changed in a moment. You never know but God knows.
We talked a little about life and death on the way to the hotel. I told him so much for determining your destiny  or control of our lives. We are not God. He agreed.

ciy

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »

Ursula,

Do not get down on your husband.  God is always working in all.  The happenings around us are always working on everyone involved.  Do not think well this is God working on my husband, even though it is, what your husband is being caused to do is God working on you for your part.

I just read where Wycliffe's in England had a "Favorite Verse Contest".  Interestingly enough Proverbs 3:5-6 was number one.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart.  Lean no on your own understanding.  In all of your ways acknowledge Him and He will make thy pathways staight."

It does not say trust in your husband, trust in your mother or father, or trust in yourself, it says trust in the Lord and it means to always trust in the Lord for everything.  Those fleshly, feel-good, family feelings are some of the biggest idols of the heart one has to get rid of in order to focus on God. At the same time do not be offended and think one of your loved ones did something to you, it is never done to you.  It is always done in the light of God's overall plan.

No one doing that Wycliffe contest would have ever thought it was also for me and you and everyone else reading this to read this morning at this time. 
God is awesome.  He is above our understanding.
God Bless.
CIY

LittleBear

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 01:43:59 PM »

Dear CIY,

I needed to hear that. Thank you for your post. I still tend to look at the events rather than God's overall plan. I never thought of feel-good family feelings as being an idol of the heart, but you are right. My perception of what my husband and family life should be like IS an idol which conforms to society's image of a successful family life. I love my husband and it pains me to see him struggling.

God is taking me down a path that I in the flesh don't want to go, but in the spirit I really want Him to conform me into His image. I am weak and cowardly. But I want God's ways more than anything. Thank you for the scripture. I love that one.

Ursula

ciy

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 03:15:39 PM »

Thank you Ursula.  You see I am going through a similar situation.  We are to encourage one another and your testimony encourages me.  The truth I speak of is one that God has taught me. Thanks and it is great to hear your reply. 

CIY

NickyM

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 06:49:31 AM »

I never thought of feel-good family feelings as being an idol of the heart, but you are right. My perception of what my husband and family life should be like IS an idol which conforms to society's image of a successful family life.

There was a time when I was completely driven by that idol. Although I don't have wife and kids, but a girlfriend, but it's pretty same thing about conforming to societys image of successful relationship and what it's supposed to be.

Almost EVERYONE around me kept just asking that "why don't you spend your night at her's" and that is a completely legitimate question, because she lives 160 kilometres away, but she said that she doesn't think that is a good idea.

Well, I was angry at first, but then I realised, that I was happy. I'm happy with things they are, why am I breaking the relationship by constantly talking about staying overnight, if she doesn't want to. And when I gave that idol up, I realized that it doesn't mean that she doesn't care. The idea just simply doesn't feel good to her, and I've learned to accept that.

But you get my point. If you live like the society would say you should, you should be thin and rich and all that kind of crap, but you should concentrate on living like you want to, how God wants you to live.

Guess what, if you are going to live by other people's expectations, that life will drive you mad, simply because they are expecting more than you can ever be! We should rather think if we live by God's expectations. I have felt that it's the way to happiness.

God expects much from His diciples, but so does society. But there is one big difference. God doesn't love us IF we're thin and rich. He will always love us, doesn't matter how we look like.

God bless you!

hillsbororiver

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 11:05:27 AM »

Pro 24:1  Be not thou envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them.

Earthly riches whether real or perceived can certainly snare a soul into darkness if and when they become an idol of the heart or the object of envy or lust, if a person becomes comfortable ("have need of nothing" Rev 3:17) in this life are they not to be pitied? Who holds the real treasure, those with temporal gold and silver or those who seek Him and strive to know and live His Word?

Ecclesiastes 6

1There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is common among men:

2A man to whom God hath given riches, wealth, and honour, so that he wanteth nothing for his soul of all that he desireth, yet God giveth him not power to eat thereof, but a stranger eateth it: this is vanity, and it is an evil disease.

3If a man beget an hundred children, and live many years, so that the days of his years be many, and his soul be not filled with good, and also that he have no burial; I say, that an untimely birth is better than he.

4For he cometh in with vanity, and departeth in darkness, and his name shall be covered with darkness.

5Moreover he hath not seen the sun, nor known any thing: this hath more rest than the other.

6Yea, though he live a thousand years twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?

7All the labour of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.

8For what hath the wise more than the fool? what hath the poor, that knoweth to walk before the living?

9Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the desire: this is also vanity and vexation of spirit.

10That which hath been is named already, and it is known that it is man: neither may he contend with him that is mightier than he.

11Seeing there be many things that increase vanity, what is man the better?

12For who knoweth what is good for man in this life, all the days of his vain life which he spendeth as a shadow? for who can tell a man what shall be after him under the sun?

His Peace to you,

Joe

hummer

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 12:55:25 PM »

Proverbs 10:2 Ill-gotten gains do not profit, but righteousness delivers from death.
Proverbs 10:22 It is the blessing of the Lord that makes rich, and He adds no sorrow to it.
Proverbs 11:4 Riches do nor profit in the day of wrath, bur righteousness delivers from wrath
Provers 11:28 He who trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will flourish like the leaf.
Proverbs 15:6 Great wealth is in the house of the righteous, but trouble is in the income of the wicked
Proverbs 15:15-16 All the days of the afflicted are bad, but a cheerful heart has a continual feast. 16) Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and turmoil with it.
Proverbs 16:8 Better is a little with righteousness than great income with injustice.
Proverbs 28:20 A faithful man will abound with blessings, but he who makes haste to be rich will not go unpunished
Proverbs 28:22 A man with an evil eye hastens after wealth and does no know that want will come upon him.
Proverbs 30:8-9 Keep deception and lies far from me, give me neither poverty or riches; feed me with the food that is my portion, that I not be full and deny You and say, "Who is the Lord?" or that I not be in want and steal, and profane the name of my God
1Timothy 6:4-11 He is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions, and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. 6) but godliness is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. 7) For we brought nothing into the world, so we can not take anything out of it either. 8) If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. 9) But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10) For the love of money is A root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs 11) But flee from these things you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness.
James 5:1-5 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries which are coming upon you. 2) Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth eaten. 3) Your gold and your silver have rusted, and their rust will be a witness against you and consume your flesh like fire. it is in the last days that you stored up your treasure 4) Behold the pay of the laborers who move your fields which have been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. You have lived luxuriously on the earth and led a life of wanton pleasure, you have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.

1John3:17-18 But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18) Little children, let us not love with word or tongue, but in deed and truth.

Skip

mrsnacks

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 04:15:55 PM »

Interesting points. I see that in marriages that it isn't about happiness. I mean happiness is a by product of a good marriage but it isn't the main goal as far as God is concerned. Even our spouses have high expectations and the reverse may be true.

Let me be honest and transparent for a moment.

I feel my wife expects me to be like Jesus. And most couples I know go through the same thing. It is almost universal. The husbands ( including me) complain. The wives complain. Husbands aren't happy really and wives aren't either. Then everyone goes to church and puts the masks on.
This morning I woke up and said to myself " I am not a Christian. " I am a believer.

IT is Easter Sunday and I didn't go to church. My wife and I got into an argument yesterday and she is just fuming. She sees me being wrong and I see she is being blind. Nothing new. So she took off to church with our daughter and I said that I wasn't going. Why ? Because it is hypocritical to me to go and face all these people and worship God in the building when the insides of me aren't settled. When there is unfinished business and strife between us.Not only that there are many unsettled problems in the church especially in the leadership at the time. The pastor and his wife have a beef and internal fight going on with the assistant pastor and etc.  So it is a mess. I know we are all human. But maybe I am wrong - I can't go and put on the act. With my wife standing beside me pretending and full of hate etc forcing a smile. She is teaching the kids in Sunday school as well. And then everyone going around saying Praise the Lord abd giving a Holy Spirit hug and kiss. Yuk !

I may have wandered off of the subject a little. Sorry.

I think of me being a musician and composer. I am very sensitive. When things are not going well in relationships it affects me. IT affects my work. I can't arrange and compose. IT affects me spiritually. Almost like a thorn in the flesh.
Many times I say I can't do this. The expectations are too high. I know the scriptures that it is Christ that lives in me and not . I must die daily etc. BUt I continue to fail. Especially not meeting the expectations of those loved ones around me. 
What is God saying ? What you said Cly is so true. God is working in all of us.

PLus this thing about idols. Why are we so affected by what our spouse or family members think. Could our wife or husband of even our kids be idols of the heart?
God does command us to love our wives as Christ loves the church. He gave everything. And wives to respect their husbands. Why has this become so difficult today. LOok at the divorce rate among believers and unbelievers. About the same. What a day !

LittleBear

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 10:14:37 PM »

Hi MrSnacks,

Marriage is a forum where we get to practice our forgiveness skills on a continual basis. Jesus said to forgive your brother seventy times seven times and it is definitely a good prescription for all the aches and pains in a marriage.
I get the picture about your not going to church when things are not right between you and your wife and you have to pretend that they are in order to continue with the image of the perfect family. Everybody does it. Everybody wants everyone else to see them as an upright, amazing, strong-in-the-Lord Christians, pillars of our society. This is an idol too. It's a dishonest idol, because one has to generate a great amount of energy into portraying that perfect image.

What if you went to church and stood up and anounced that you and your wife need prayer because things are not right between you today? Gasp!
It would be honest though. If everyone did that, you would have a really long service. Bring lunch.

The thing is, you love your wife and your wife loves you. God brought you together to bring something about in both of you that you need. All these irritations are part of God's great plan in your life. It doesn't feel like it, it doesn't feel good, it feels mundane, but as CIY said, it is done in the light of God's overall plan.

Hi CIY,
In my situation, I have decided that I am going to stick with this man, my husband, no matter what. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, but those are the times I turn to God with everything I have. I found I can't control what my husband does or doesn't do, and God is working through him, through his weaknesses and imperfections, through the insecurity of the future, to bring me to that humble place (which hasn't happenned yet). I don't really know what that place looks like because I have still a lot of pride in me, and my own weaknesses and imperfections as well.

It sounds like God has given you a strength in your situation, and a vision of His being in control in the midst of it all. Your post really encouraged me when I needed encouraging. Thank you.

Ursula

LittleBear

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 10:54:38 PM »

Hi NickyM,

Society's expectations will definitely drive you mad. It is the world's expectations and you are right, they are expecting more than you can ever be especially because you are following the Lord.

Luke 16:15 says "For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God."

That's big for us. What is highly esteemed among men these days? Just think when you don't measure up or if you don't run after what the rest of society pursues. Who and what do they idolize? Lots of money, big houses, fancy cars, sports personalities, self aggrandizement, youth, all the latest gadgets, etc. etc.

The motto of the world is eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. But for us, we pursue the things of God.
I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.Phil. 3 :14.

Paul also said, "But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ."Phil. 3:7. This was one amazing man in the Lord.
I was reading a scripture last night which I found awesome.
Hebrews 10:34 "...and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven."
I like the "joyfully" part.

Ursula
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.