bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Did Christ sweat blood?  (Read 23491 times)

Bill

Did Christ sweat blood?
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »

Do you believe Christ sweat blood?

(Luk 22:44 KJV)  And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground [GL. gē - Sometimes translated as earth].

It seems to me that his sweat was as if it was blood but not actually blood.

On a more important note what does Luk 22:44  mean spiritually.  Interestingly sweat is only found in the bible 3 times.

(Gen 3:19 KJV)  In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(Eze 44:18 KJV)  They shall have linen bonnets upon their heads, and shall have linen breeches upon their loins; they shall not gird themselves with any thing that causeth sweat.
(Luk 22:44 KJV)  And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Thanks and God Bless

hillsbororiver

Re: Did Christ sweat blood?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 03:47:30 PM »

Hi Bill,

I find it interesting that this description is only found in (Doctor) Luke's Gospel, there is a medical term for this condition, it is called hermatidrosis;

he·ma·ti·dro·sis (hm-t-drss, hm-)
n.
The excretion of blood or blood pigment in the sweat. Also called hemidrosis1.

(American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary)

hematidrosis /he·ma·tid·ro·sis/ (he?mah-tid-ro´sis) excretion of bloody sweat.

(Dorland's Medical Dictionary for Health Consumers)

From Askipedia;

Is it possible to sweat blood?

Yes it is possible to sweat blood although it is very rare.  The condition is called hermatidrosis.   Dr Frederick Zugibe explains that there are many blood vessels around out sweat glands, they form a sort of net surrounding the gland.  If these vessels are put under great stress the vessels constrict.  When they release from this pressure they expand until they rupture.  The blood molecules spread out and since they are so close the sweat gland they enter it.  When the person sweats the sweat washes the blood our of the sweat gland and onto the skin.  The sweat is not only made up of blood, but it has some blood in it, enough to notice that it is red.

Typically high levels of stress on a person will cause the stress on the blood vessels, anxiety and other aliments will not only force these blood vessels to constrict, but they will often make the person sweat.  When the stress or anxiety leaves the person, the blood gets into the sweat gland.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 05:01:28 PM »

Hello Bill

You ask : Do you believe Christ sweat blood?

Matthew 26 : 36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and He told His disciples, Sit down here while I go over yonder to pray. 37. And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to show grief and distress of mind and was deeply depressed. 38. Then He said to them, My soul is very sad and deeply grieved, so that I am almost dying of sorrow..

I believe Jesus said what He meant and meant what He said. Also this sweat that was carrying His blood fulfills the sweat noted by God in Genesis 3 : 19 In the sweat of your face shall you eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you shall return.

Christ has fulfilled this through sweat sheding blood that finally became His blood outpoured on His cross on Calvery. Jesus is truly the fulfilment of the Scriptures and He alone is the first fruites of this fulfilment!

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 05:02:55 PM by Arcturus »

Redbird

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 05:27:39 PM »

This indicates to me that our dear Jesus endured much through shedding his blood, sweat and tears, and this was no easy task to say the least.

Mathew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood.  And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

In His Love, Lisa

Bill

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 05:30:40 PM »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response.

I find it interesting that this description is only found in (Doctor) Luke's Gospel, there is a medical term for this condition, it is called hermatidrosis;[/color]
I to found this interesting.  Why is this account is only in Luke?  Where is the witness to this event?  Unless there is a deeper spirtual meaning to it.

Thanks again joe.

Bill

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »

Hello Bill

You ask : Do you believe Christ sweat blood?

Matthew 26 : 36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and He told His disciples, Sit down here while I go over yonder to pray. 37. And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to show grief and distress of mind and was deeply depressed. 38. Then He said to them, My soul is very sad and deeply grieved, so that I am almost dying of sorrow..

I believe Jesus said what He meant and meant what He said. Also this sweat that was carrying His blood fulfills the sweat noted by God in Genesis 3 : 19 In the sweat of your face shall you eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you shall return.

Christ has fulfilled this through sweat sheding blood that finally became His blood outpoured on His cross on Calvery. Jesus is truly the fulfilment of the Scriptures and He alone is the first fruites of this fulfilment!

Peace to you

Hi Arcturus,

I see what you are saying and I like how you connect Gen3:19 to Luke. 

I am not sure if it really matters wheather he actually sweated Blood or not but as Ray always says we have to pay attention to every word.  So if Christ did actually sweat blood why does it say "as it where" which in greek is "hōsei" which is also translated to "like"  So his sweat was like blood.

Just curious to others thoughts/

God Bless

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »

Hi Bill

Well it was not blood per se like in blood that is released by nails piercing the flesh. It was as blood because it was sweat mingled with blood released below the surface under the skin that seeped through the pores of the skin.

How many times do we suffer under the surface, while keeping a straight face and we are torn up inside by knives of anguish and pain or memories of abuse and suffering?

Peace to you

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 05:56:42 PM by Arcturus »

josh

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 06:00:18 PM »

This is just a thought…

In this same account from the Gospel of Luke, Jesus continually warns the disciples to pray so that they will not “fall into temptation.”

Luke 22:40
On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation."

Luke 22:46
"Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."

Perhaps this account is an intimate look at how our Savior faced the greatest temptation that any man has ever known…

Hebrews 4:15
15: For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

So he prays…

Luke 22:42
42: "Father, if thou art willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

Completely innocent, without sin… yet still facing the shameful death of the cross…

So He resists the greatest temptation the world has ever know…

Hebrews 12:3-4
3: Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.
4: In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.

He resisted to the point of shedding blood...

Luke 22:44
44And (G)being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.

Again, just a thought.

God’s Peace.
Josh
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:01:15 PM by In Medias Res »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »

Great thoughts Josh!

Thank you for the scriptures. I agree.

I also do not think anyone has known or will know what He endured for us until He returns! I personally believe that He endured the sum total of all human suffering down through the ages!

Peace to you

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 06:19:45 PM »

Earliest reliable manuscripts do not contain these passages in the Third Gospel.  Not that it didn't happen per se, just that it was likely not written into the Gospel until much, much, much later.

Peace

Bill

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 06:37:04 PM »

Earliest reliable manuscripts do not contain these passages in the Third Gospel.  Not that it didn't happen per se, just that it was likely not written into the Gospel until much, much, much later.

Peace

Hi Pax,

I am assuming you are referring to Luk 22:44?

How do you come to this conclusion?

Thanks

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 07:18:18 PM »

It is incredible how sometimes things weave together through different threads to underline certain truths, I am sure we all have unique perspectives in regard to this phenomena, for me this verse/thread is underlining the humanity of Jesus and the intensity of His suffering, both mental and physical.

In the thread  http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=4045.0 (Brother Job) I quoted much of Job 10, in verse 4 we have this;

Job 10:4 Hast thou eyes of flesh? or seest thou as man seeth?

Here I believe we have Job's question (and everyone's question at some time or other) does the Lord really know what we are going through? Does God truly understand our trials, pain, frustration, fear, despair, etc.?

Talk about stress;

A thorough search of the medical literature demonstrates that such a condition, while admittedly rare, does occur in humans. Commonly referred to as hematidrosis or hemohidrosis (Allen, 1967, pp. 745-747), this condition results in the excretion of blood or blood pigment in the sweat. Under conditions of great emotional stress, tiny capillaries in the sweat glands can rupture (Lumpkin, 1978), thus mixing blood with perspiration. This condition has been reported in extreme instances of stress (see Sutton, 1956, pp. 1393-1394). During the waning years of the twentieth century, 76 cases of hematidrosis were studied and classified into categories according to causative factors: “Acute fear and intense mental contemplation were found to be the most frequent inciting causes” (Holoubek and Holoubek, 1996). While the extent of blood loss generally is minimal, hematidrosis also results in the skin becoming extremely tender and fragile (Barbet, 1953, pp. 74-75; Lumpkin, 1978), which would have made Christ’s pending physical insults even more painful.

His Peace to you,

Joe

PS You are welcome Bill!
  ;)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:54:01 PM by hillsbororiver »

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »

Yes.  I am sorry for my brief (read: incomplete) note.  I can look up the references if you wish, but my recollection is that the sweating of blood (bleeding of sweat?) was not recorded earlier than the Latin Vulgate.  Since many translations used the Vulgate as their primary source, the entries continued.

Earlier reliable texts do not contain this reference.

Again, I am not at home (where my library is) and this is all from recollection from classes long ago and far away.

Peace

Pax Vobiscum

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »

...But since I am at work, here is a citation for those of you who want more on this condition...

Peace

Title: Blood, sweat and fear - ''A classification of hematidrosis''
Author(s): Holoubek JE, Holoubek AB
Source: JOURNAL OF MEDICINE 27 (3-4): 115-133 1996
Document Type: Review
Language: English
Cited References: 53      Times Cited: 0       
Abstract: In order to verify the accuracy of the commonly used statement, ''I sweat blood,'' a survey of the literature in the subject of hematidrosis was made. Seventy-six cases were studied and classified into categories according to the causative factor. These were, component of systemic disease, vicarious menstruation, excessive exertion, psychogenic, and unknown. The psychogenic were further subdivided into those that occurred only one time, those that recurred and the stigmatics. Acute fear and intense mental contemplation were found to be the most frequent inciting causes. Hematidrosis is an extremely rare clinical phenomenon with only few instances reported to have occurred within the twentieth century.
Author Keywords: bloody sweat; hematidrosis; menstruation; stigmata; vicarious
Addresses: LOUISIANA STATE UNIV, SCH MED, SHREVEPORT, LA USA

Publisher: P J D PUBLICATIONS LTD, PO BOX 966, WESTBURY, NY 11590
Subject Category: Medicine, Research & Experimental
IDS Number: VZ030

ISSN: 0025-7850

Bill

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »

I can look up the references if you wish, but my recollection is that the sweating of blood (bleeding of sweat?) was not recorded earlier than the Latin Vulgate.  Since many translations used the Vulgate as their primary source, the entries continued.

Hi Pax,

If you would not mind I would be interested in hearing more one this.  When you have the time of course. 

If it is true that you feel it was added and is not scripture why do you feel it was added?

Thanks

Brett

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 01:53:57 AM »

Hello,

This is tough one. At first, it seem that Jesus did have literal blood (sweat) like some people had but rare. Yet, I see Luke 22:44, it didn't say, "his sweat was great drops of blood falling down to the ground.", but it did say, "his sweat was AS [Gk: LIKE] it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." I found the same Greek word for 'like' in several verses, "like a dove", "like of fire", "white like wool", etc. These verses not literal things, do they? Now, the same Greek word for "his sweat like it were great drops of blood..." are literal? For me, I see the verses, it doesn't say literal thing, but it does something to know what it mean. Of course, Luke was doctor, but he also know the mental of stressful, fearful, etc. Luke wrote, "like...drops of blood" meaning that Jesus was deeply stressfulness, fearfulness, painfulness just like sweat drops of blood.

I am not here to tell you that I am right. But all I see this verse said "Like". Maybe I could be wrong. Maybe it was literal blood. If is literal, then should not write "like". Know what I mean?

Maybe me ;D

Brett
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:56:11 AM by Brett »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 02:34:44 AM »

From the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer the word AS-IF is found in 20 different verses in the NT. A brief study shows the significance is not one that can be waved aside either literally or figuratively. This AS-IF also shows up in Luke 22 : 44 ..and becoming in struggle more-earnestly he prayed and became the sweat of-him AS-IF clots of blood descending on the earth.

Acts 2 : 3 And these appeared unto them cloven tongues AS-IF of fire and it sat upon each of them.

AS-IF here does not mean that there appeared unto them cloven tongues of fire that were not there. They were there in the AS-IF realm.

Acts 6 : 15 And all that sat in the council, looking steadfastly on him, saw his face of-him AS-IF it had been the face of an angel.

AS-IF does not mean that he became an angel it means that all saw his face AS-IF it had been the face of an angel.

The sweat that fell as if great drops of blood does not mean that there was no blood. It means there was blood in the AS-IF realm. This AS-IF realm I believe is the one that is for those who have ears and those who have eyes.

If we discount this word AS-IF, then it will drag out the deeper meanings and presence of where it appears elsewhere in the Scriptures. To do that would be AS-IF taking out our eyes that see or as the dragon Rev 12 : 4 His tail swept across the sky and dragged down a third of the stars and flung them to the earth.

Peace be to you

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:40:55 AM by Arcturus »

Redbird

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 09:24:10 AM »

Brett,

You mention "like a dove", "like of fire" and "white like wool".  This all represents baptism of the Holy Ghost.
Likewise, so does "sweat like it were great drops of blood".  So, maybe the point being made is to demonstrate just how intense TRUE BAPTISM is.

Just my observation ~
Peace in Christ, Lisa
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 07:36:58 PM by Redbird »

Bill

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 10:10:33 AM »

Hello,

This is tough one. At first, it seem that Jesus did have literal blood (sweat) like some people had but rare. Yet, I see Luke 22:44, it didn't say, "his sweat was great drops of blood falling down to the ground.", but it did say, "his sweat was AS [Gk: LIKE] it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." I found the same Greek word for 'like' in several verses, "like a dove", "like of fire", "white like wool", etc. These verses not literal things, do they? Now, the same Greek word for "his sweat like it were great drops of blood..." are literal? For me, I see the verses, it doesn't say literal thing, but it does something to know what it mean. Of course, Luke was doctor, but he also know the mental of stressful, fearful, etc. Luke wrote, "like...drops of blood" meaning that Jesus was deeply stressfulness, fearfulness, painfulness just like sweat drops of blood.

I am not here to tell you that I am right. But all I see this verse said "Like". Maybe I could be wrong. Maybe it was literal blood. If is literal, then should not write "like". Know what I mean?

Maybe me ;D

Brett

Brett,

I think I am seeing it the same way.

Thank you

Kat

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 10:48:53 AM »

Luke 22:44 and, coming to be in an agony, more intensely, was he praying; and his perspiration became, as if great drops of blood, falling upon the ground.

In my opinion, it is the first part of this verse that brings some understanding.
He was in agony, because He knew what He was going to endure.  Not only was He aware of this means of execution, but as God of the OT He had first hand knowledge of it. 
Now some might would think that as God in flesh, He could just spiritually raise above this suffering on the cross.  But this strongly indicates he could not, He was in 'agony' over what He was physically going to endure.  He was going to feel the pain and suffer to the extent that He was going to die from it, just like any man would.  Nobody could say, sure He died but He was God, so it was different.
So I am looking at how this shows His distress and the humanity of our Lord, at this grave point in His soon to end life on earth.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.