bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the word dove  (Read 7723 times)

mrl1970

the word dove
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:08:23 AM »

The word dove is interesting in the Bible.

We are the temple of God:

Corinthians 3:16
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

When Jesus cast out the moneychangers they were selling doves

Matthew 21:12 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves

The word dove represents the Spirit of God

Matthew 3:16
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

The Spirit of God is the word of God.

Ephesians 6:17
 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

So the spiritual meaning is that today the  church {temple built by hands) sells the word of God (doves)

Where can God not be found?

Acts 17:24
God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Also this is just as interesting

We are to be as doves.

Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Song of Solomon 2:14
O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely.

The rock is Jesus.

1 Corinthians 10:4
And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Pay attention to the meaning of the word cleft in Song of Solomon 2:14

Pay attention to the Etymology
From Merriam Webster Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: 1cleft
Pronunciation: 'kleft
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English clift, from Old English geclyft; akin to Old English clEofan to cleave
1 : a space or opening made by or as if by splitting : FISSURE
2 : a usually V-shaped indented formation : a hollow between ridges or protuberances <the anal cleft of the human

Same thing for the word cleave since cleft is akin to Old English clEofan to cleave[/

Main Entry: 1cleave
Pronunciation: 'klEv
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cleaved  /'klEvd /; or clove  /'klOv /; also clave  /'klAv/; cleaved ; cleav·ing
Etymology: Middle English clevien, from Old English clifian; akin to Old High German kleben to stick
: to adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly

So we as doves must adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly to Christ
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:59:05 PM by mrl1970 »

Deborah-Leigh

Re: the word dove
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »

What a beautiful post!

I like what you observe as we should be as doves in the cleft of the Rock that is Christ!

Also how you see that Mystery Babylon is selling doves.

To add : Unlike the raven that does not return the dove is faithful and true. Gen 8 : 11 And the dove came back to him in the evening, and behold, in her mouth was a newly sprouted and freshly plucked olive leaf! So Noah knew that the waters had subsided from the land.

Our trials will one day be over! Jesus will return again.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

zvezda

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 02:34:26 PM »

Thanks for sharing, mrl1970.
Before reading your post, i didn't even pay attention to what they were selling (in matt 21:12 and mark 11:15), now i am paying more attention to the words as Ray teaches us. Jesus overthrew the the seats of them that sold doves but not their tables, but for moneychangers, He overthrew their tables but not their seats. Knowing what dove represents, is that why He didn't overthrow the tables of them that sold doves?

sorry for a stupid question: Why did they sell doves anyway? were people buying doves as pets during the biblical days?  :P

gmik

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »

Hi and welcome Zvezda!  People bought doves to be able to offer up the sacrifice of a dove.  Most people didn't have doves so they would buy them (at an inflated price!) in order to fulfil the law.

Yes, I too must remember to pay attention to the words!

hebrewroots98

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »

Mrl1970, this is a  very nice thread, thank you!  I never made the connections ::)

I do know that in the Tree of Life the fruit was an OLIVE (OLIVE OIL), and OIL represents the  SPIRIT;

SO, ARCTURUS...THE DOVE AND THE OLIVE LEAF THAT THE DOVE HAD CARRIED BACK TO THE ARK ARE BOTH ONE AND THE SAME....THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD ;) :D

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »

A valid second witness Susan! ;D :D

Rev 22 : 2 Through the middle of the broadway of the city; also, on either side of the river was the tree of life with its twelve varieties of fruit, yielding each month its fresh crop; and the LEAVES OF THE TREE were for the healing and the restoration of the nations.

Peace to you

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:55:21 PM by Arcturus »

zvezda

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »

Thanks Gena. i didn't know they offered doves in sacrifice, i thought they only offered lamb or cow... are there any scriptures talking about offering up the sacrifice of a dove? Thanks.

Kat

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 06:34:46 PM »

I found this in Easton gives some scripture references for doves.

From Easton's Bible Dictionary.

Dove
In their wild state doves generally build their nests in the clefts of rocks, but when domesticated “dove-cots” are prepared for them (Son_2:14; Jer_48:28; Isa_60:8).
The dove was placed on the standards of the Assyrians and Babylonians in honour, it is supposed, of Semi-ramis (Jer_25:38; Vulg., “fierceness of the dove;” compare Jer_46:16; Jer_50:16).
Doves and turtle-doves were the only birds that could be offered in sacrifice, as they were clean according to the Mosaic law (Gen_15:9; Lev_5:7; Lev_12:6; Luk_2:24).
The dove was the harbinger of peace to Noah (Gen_8:8, Gen_8:10).
It is often mentioned as the emblem of purity (Psa_68:13).
It is a symbol of the Holy Spirit (Gen_1:2; Mat_3:16; Mar_1:10; Luk_3:22; Joh_1:32).
Of tender and devoted affection (Son_1:15; Son_2:14).
David in his distress wished that he had the wings of a dove, that he might fly away and be at rest (Psa_55:6-8).
There is a species of dove found at Damascus “whose feathers, all except the wings, are literally as yellow as gold” (Psa_68:13).

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

hebrewroots98

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 06:57:45 PM »

Zvezda,
Usually it was the poor folks whom sould not afford a larger animal sacrifice were the one's whom sacrificed the doves and other poultry.

Thanks for the 2nd Arcturus.

iris

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 10:18:33 PM »

This has been a really interesting discussion.

Thanks for sharing.  :)

Iris

Snowfire

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 12:48:29 AM »

I thought this poem was appropriate.

The Dove

How hopefully he sets her free,
his messenger, what will she see?
How faithfully she flies (with glee)
in search of the promise, a symbol, a key.

Her pearly, downy body
with ease swoops low, then high.
She aims to find of land, a body
and she does in the blink of an eye.

High above the ocean deep,
She plucks a sprig from the fragrant ground.
She bestows the gift of land to her master
that once was lost but now is found.

Patricia Wulf

hebrewroots98

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 12:53:23 AM »

I was wondering if the poem relates to the great flood... ???

Redbird

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 12:57:01 AM »

I think so, Susan.  This is a lovely post ~ in honor of The Holy Spirit ~

May His Peace be with us,
Lisa
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 12:59:58 AM by Redbird »

zvezda

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 01:24:57 AM »

Thanks Kat for the scripture references, thanks Susan for answering my question.
i just found it interesting that the scripture kat mentioned, only the ones for offering in sacrifice are using "turtledove" and "pigeon", while all other(including matt 21:12 that mrl1970 mentioned) are using "dove". i am reading kjv, maybe the words are different in other versions...

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »

I agree

This is an inspiring thread!  Here is another special addition:

Psalms 68 : 9 You, O God, did send a plentiful rain; You did restore and confirm Your heritage when it languished and was weary. 10. Your flock found a dwelling place in it; You, O God, in Your goodness did provide for the poor and needy. 11. The Lord gives the word of power;  THE WOMEN who bear and publish the news ARE A GREAT HOST. 12 The kings of the enemies' armies, they flee, THEY FLEE! She who tarries at home divides the spoil left behind 13. though you the slackers may lie among the sheepfolds in slothful ease, yet for Israel the WINGS OF A DOVE are covered with silver, its pinions excessively green with gold are trophies TAKEN FROM the enemy.....19 Blessed be the Lord, Who bears our burdens and carries us day by day, even the God Who is our salvation! Selah, pause, and CALMLY THINK OF THAT!

Peace to you my sisters and love to you brothers of our Lord.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:39:21 PM by Arcturus »

DWIGHT

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 03:42:34 AM »

Genesis 8:9
But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him into the ark, for the waters were on the face of the whole earth: then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark.

Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

John 1:51
And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

The first time the heavens were opened, God judged the world through a flood.  And there was no rest except in the ark.  There is never any rest unless you're in the ark (Jesus).

The next time the heavens opened, the dove rested on the ark (Jesus) again.  But now instead of worldwide judgement, we have worldwide salvation.  Now we can see the Son of man in all His glory and the angels ascending and descending on Him because heaven is open and all His works are manifested.

John 1:50-51
Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.  And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Isn't the Word of God wonderful?

In Him,

Dwight

Flipper

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 04:39:06 PM »

Jonah is the Hebrew word for 'dove'

Noah sent a 'dove' out three times

I'm seeing 'message'

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.