bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is lacking in Christ's afflictions?  (Read 6063 times)

skydreamers

What is lacking in Christ's afflictions?
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »

Hi everyone,

This verse really floors me as it's hard to imagine what could be "lacking in Christ's afflictions":

Col 1:24
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,

The Concordant renders it this way:

Col 1:24
I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for you, and am filling up in my flesh, in His stead, the deficiencies of the afflictions of Christ, for His body, which is the ecclesia"

I've heard it preached that Christ suffered for us so we don't have to, so this obviously blows that mainstream teaching out of the water. 

We already know that the elect must suffer trials and tribulations now in the flesh.  I am thinking that this is what this verse is referring to...the suffering of his Elect who must "complete" Christ's suffering so as to be able to reign with Him as Priests and Rulers.  I know that Christ's life will be lived in the Elect.  I've been taught that Christ's work for salvation was completed at the cross.  But since all of humanity has not YET been saved, and the Elect must still be brought to full maturity by Christ...there is yet a work to do, namely in the Chosen.  Is this what this verse means??

Any thoughts?

Peace,
Diana

Redbird

Re: What is lacking in Christ's afflictions?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:54:11 PM »

Hi Diana,

In my New Living Transalation Col. 1:25 reads ~

God has given me the responsibility of SERVING his church by proclaiming his message in all its fullness to you Gentiles. 26 This message was kept secret for centuries and generations past, but now it has been revealed to his own holy people. 27 For it pleased God to tell his people that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too.

So, I think Paul is saying he is doing this by PREACHING to CHRIST'S body, the church.  Hope that helps.

Peace to you,
Lisa

Kat

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 12:36:28 AM »

Hi Diana,

This was a hard scripture for me to come to an understanding of. 
I could not find this scripture explained on the BT site or in Ray's emails. But I had this in my notes.

Col 1:24  Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind5303 of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body's sake, which is the church: (KJV) [Strong's- 5303;  that which is behind, (that which was) lack(-ing), penury, want.]

The finished work of Christ is to "fill up" in our flesh that which is behind of His sufferings, "for His bodies sake, which is the church." 
He is now 'in' us.
It is Christ living His life of rejection and suffering in us that matures us.  That was never possible before the work of Christ was 'finish.'

Gal 2:20  I have been crucified with Christ, and I live; yet no longer I, but Christ lives in me. And that life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith toward the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself on my behalf.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Brett

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:05:22 AM »

Hi Kat,

I am wondering about Col. 1:24, "THE church" is Christendom or elect? Because, I learned in Ray's Lake of Fire Series about "THE Church" is Christendom and "MY [Jesus] Church" is the elect. I cannot tell which one is Christendom or elect in Col. 1:24 . Hope can help me better.

Thanks! :D

Brett

Kat

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »

Hi Brett,

Ray does say something about "My church."
Here is an excerpt where he spoke of that.

http://bible-truths.com/lake8.html ----------------------

"THE" CHURCH VS. "MY" CHURCH

During Jesus’ ministry, He spoke of "the" church and "My" church. There already existed "the church" (Matt. 18:17), at the very time that Jesus said He would build "MY CHURCH" (Matt. 16:18). For fifteen centuries God established Israel as a church:

"This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, ‘A Prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; Him shall ye hear.’ This is HE, that was in the CHURCH in the wilderness with the angel which spoke to him in the mount Sinai, and with our fathers who received the lively oracles to give unto us: To whom our fathers WOULD NOT OBEY, but thrust him from them, and in their hearts turned back again into Egypt" (Acts 7:37-39).

We could, of course, trace the church back through Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, back to Noah, and indeed, back to Adam.
-----------------------------------------------------------

In the scripture there is only one time that Jesus mentioned "My church."

Mat 16:18  "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

What I believe that Jesus was showing in that scripture is there's a difference in the established church of His day and "My church" which He was going to build out of the called out, elect.  And this scripture points out that there would be "My church," that Christ would be building, at the same time as there was the church.  So in the scripture 'church' can be referring to either of these two 'different' churches, which must be distinguished by the context.

Now in Col. 1:24, "...for His body's sake, which is the church:" (KJV)  This is telling us exactly who Christ is taking about, "His body-the church."

I hope this helps you Brett  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 05:50:36 PM »

Hello Diana

We have learnt from Ray that the Scriptures are not an interpretation unto themselves and that we should look for the second witness. For me the second witness to the Scripture you are considering are the following:

Matt 10 : 38 And he who does NOT take up his cross and FOLLOW ME, cleave steadfastly to Me, conforming wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also, is not worthy of Me.

Acts 14 : 22 Establashing and strengthening the souls and the hearts of the disciples, urging and warning and encouraging them to stand firm in the faith, and telling them, that it is through many hardships and tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.

1 Peter 4 : 13 But insofar as you are SHARING Christ's sufferings, rejoice, so that when His glory is revealed, you may also rejoice with triumph.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 05:53:18 PM by Arcturus »

skydreamers

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments.  I think we are probably on the right track with this.  The wording in the scripture is just strange.  It is us, in the flesh, that are "lacking" and Christ is living his life in us...bringing us through whatever suffering is lacking in order to reach maturity. 

Judging begins with the House of God, especially with the Elect who have a special ministry:

Heb 10:32
But recall the former days when after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings,

2Ti 4:5
As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

2Co 6:3-4
We put no obstacle in anyone's way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry,
but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities

Rom 5:3-5
More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,
and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,
and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Peace,
Diana
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:23:04 PM by skydreamers »

gmik

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »

What wonderful thoughts and comments.

I had always thought that somehow Jesus' sacrifice was lacking something and I never had the eyes before.  I never brought this verse up to anyone bcz I just couldn't even think that Jesus could be lacking in anything so I must be wrong.  Never heard it preached on either.

Thank you gals for the enlightenment!!

Brett, you and I got "good preachin" today :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.