bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forever  (Read 4931 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Forever
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:53:50 PM »

Dear Andrew: Thank you for your email and comments.  As I am not a scholar and know little about languages, it is necessary that one talk slow and use small word vocabulary with me.  I will, however, make a few comments in your email.........

*sigh*

COMMENT:  I assume that *sigh* is your attempt to be mildly contemptuous over my writings.

You know, if you had been Greek Orthodox, this wouldn't be some sort of vile outrage, it would be simple fact that it is best translated as "to the ages of ages".

COMMENT:  I am not sure as to what or to whom you are referring with you phrase "vile outrage?"

Furthermore, I'd like to observe this statement:

"Eon" is the closest English equivalent to the Greek word "aion." Age is close, but has no adjective form, as eon does (eonian).

This is completely irrelevant to the Greek text: ...eis tous aiwnas twn aiwnwn...

Best translated as: unto the (ACCUSATIVE) ages of (GENITIVE) ages.

...because UNTO is evocative of the accusative case, which is somewhat archaic in English these days. Though the context is implied. However, there is NO instance of an adjective in this ever-so-used phrase.

COMMENT:  I don't recall stating that there is an adjective in that phrase. But that phrase contains the plural "aions" which is the noun from which the adjective "aionios" is taken. Therefore, to follow some form of consistency, it would be better to uniformly call "aions" English "eons,' and "aionios" English "eonian," as opposed to "ages" for aions and "age-abiding, age-lasting, age-during," or aionios, or some other awkward phrase.

Unfortunately this didn't warrant any further credibility for me to read your critique. In any case, there is little contextual difference between the phrase you proposed (which I agree to be the most grammatically correct) and "for ever and ever". Both phrases duly address the idea of a recursive eternal state.

COMMENT:  Oh really?  "Unto the ages OF ages," and "For ever AND ever" differ little contextual?  "OF" and "AND" and contextually of little difference? And BOTH have the "idea of a recursive [reoccuring?] eternal state?  I don't think so.  Is a "recursive eternal state" something like "Unto the eternities of eternities?"  Or maybe, "eternities AND eternities?"  Your suggestions are not unlike Jerome who translated Isa. 45:17, "...into eternity AND BEYOND..." Or ci Chron. 29:10, "...FROM eternity UNTIL eternity."  Give me a break.

COMMENT:  What you count as "little difference," could be sizable to those whom will be in either "EVERLASTING punishment" or "EONIAN chastisement" (Matt. 25:46).

What's next, "Blessed IS our God" or "Blessed BE our God"? This sort of nitpicking are exactly what tears the church apart.

COMMENT: Being Judged by Godly chastisement to correct a sinner for a period of time, versus being tortured in some Christian hellhole of torture for "EVERLASTING" time, for absolutely no redeeming purpose, is far more than "nitpicking," my friend!  It is the difference between merciful judgment and OVER-THE-TOP INSANITY.

God be with you,

Ray

In Christ,
    -Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.