bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matt 25:46  (Read 4663 times)

mari_et_pere

Matt 25:46
« on: May 05, 2007, 02:05:59 PM »

{Mt.25:46} And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into eternal life.
I'm wondering here......I was just reading an article that is against Ultimate Reconciliation and they used this verse. Both everlasting and eternal here are translated from the greek word aionios. I looked that much up........but when I looked up aionios the definition said point blank that it means "perpetual time"...not ending. So what are we to think of this verse? Is Strong's wrong on this? j/w your all's thoughts.

Matt

hillsbororiver

Re: Matt 25:46
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »

Hi Matt,

The following is an in depth study on this subject, here is the link to Ray's paper "Is Everlasting Scriptural?"

http://bible-truths.com/aeonion.htm

His Peace to you,

Joe

YellowStone

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »

Matt,

Just to add a little to what Joe posted.

I will take this from a different angle. It is interesting that you found that the word aionios is defined as "perpetual time."

I looked up the meaning of perpetual to see what it means given todays understanding. :)

Quick definitions (perpetual)   http://www.onelook.com/?w=perpetual+&ls=a

adjective:   occurring so frequently as to seem ceaseless or uninterrupted (Example: "Your perpetual (or continual) complaints")

This meaning sure does not give the meaning of "Forever;" not with the inclusion of "as to seem" :)

adjective:   continuing forever or indefinitely (Example: "Hell's perpetual fires")

Here is another example that disproves it's intended meaning. Indefinitely means:

adverb:   to an indefinite extent; for an indefinite time (Example: "This could go on indefinitely") or otherwise a to a time unknown.

adjective:   uninterrupted in time and indefinitely long continuing (Example: "The perpetual struggle to maintain standards in a democracy")

Here the term 'uninterrupted in time' is counter-productive to their cause. For we know full well that while ever the punishement is occuring, it will not be interrupted. As in, it will not begin, stop, pause....., begin, etc. However, it does not state that the 'time' is without end.

I found this interesting, because in their haste to prove a belief, they use words that disprove it.

I hope this helps a little.

Your brother in Christ,
Darren

Kat

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 08:37:46 PM »

Hi Matt,

Here is an email from Ray that I think will help you with this.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4226.0.html ----------

Look I have read the FAQ on your website, but i would like to know, besides the strongs conc. i have.... how do i look up the original meanings in greek or hebrew. are there more or different concordances?.... I heard you speak about the Lexicon but i'm not familiar with it. The thing that brought this about was when you said that the word everlasting carried a different meaning that what we think. I'd like to study that.

Dear Justin:
        You cannot learn the true meaning of such words as "ad, olam, aion, aionios," etc. by reading a commentary or lexicon, or concordance like Strong's.  Dr. Strong defines "aion" as = "age" AND "eternity."
        When the Christians (who have doctrines to defend) write dictionaries and commentaries, they often lie concerning the meaning of words that go against their false teachings.  It takes a real teacher to point out these gross errors.

That's like defining "minute" as "hour" AND "century."  It's nonsense. If all one had to do to learn the truth of these words was to look them up in a dictionary, I wouldn't need to even have a web site. You need to read and study (for a couple of hundred hours, at least) my paper: "Is EVERLASTING Scriptural?"  You have to see how these words are USED, and have been USED, in Scripture, histories, etc.  I do not, for example, teach the truth concerning the damnable Christian doctrine of hell, by simply consulting Strong's dictionaries or any other dictionaries. Dictionaries can be a starting point, but it involves a whole lot more than that.

God be with you,
        Ray
-------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.