bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hints for repellent  (Read 5943 times)

Kat

hints for repellent
« on: May 06, 2007, 01:46:31 AM »

I didn't come up with these hints, but they sound pretty good.

It's about that time folks, at least here in the south it is --

OK, mosquitos.....prepare to be repelled!!!!!

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in
Louisiana....just wipe on & go....Great for Babies too

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day
April through October.  He said it works,
hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it.
Every one he has talked into trying it works on them.
Vitimin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas,
the mosquitos like you, something about the banana oil
as your body processes it. 
Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitos
will be much less interested.

One of the best insect repellents someone found
(who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off
a smell that bugs do not like.
So plant some in that garden also to help ward
off bugs without using insecticides.

Marines who spend a great deal of time
"camping out" say that the very best mosquito
repellant you can use is
Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about
half and half with alcohol.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered
is made from the clear real vanilla.
This is the pure Vanilla that is sold in Mexico.
It works great for mosquitoes and ticks,
don't know about other insects.

When all else fails--get a frog  :)

Fight West Nile in skeeter land!!!

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: hints for repellent
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:23:57 AM »

You can have the skeeters AND the chiggers!! ;)

Move to AZ, skeeters don't like the "dry" heat.

gmik

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »

We had a pretty warm winter which means....more mosquitos !!
Thanks for the tips!  I will def. be trying some.

PS  Fairbanks Alaska has an arcticam and I went to it about everyday...they had a warm winter too....hmmmmm ;)

Kent

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »

Garlic works. I usually eat a piece of garlic bread before I go out, if I have it.
Smoke from a fire works too. Ditto on the B1

If they are really persistent, use DEET along with a natural repellant.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 04:34:47 PM »

Citronella oil works!

hebrewroots98

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:03:10 PM »

Yes, we use citronella candles, and have used the Avon 'skin so soft' brand of body oil when out on bivouac in the woods of Kentucky and Tennessee; and even dogs can benefit from garlic if you give them some in their food, the insects will stay away from them too...(tics, fleas, etc...)

On a sadder note...when my husband was only 5 yrs old, his mother had died at the age of 28 from catching MENGOS ENCEPHALITIS (swelling of the brain, as well as heart) ALL FROM A LITTLE INFECTED MOSQUITO BITE!  (And yet, there are not that many out here in this part of the country!) :'( :'( :'(

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »

Your story reminds me of the Australian Steve Erwin who was killed by a stab in the heart from a sting ray! Why not a snake that Steve always was toying around with? Why not a Crocodile that he would wrestle? Why such a st rage bizarre way to die? Is it not because God is saying He has the number of our days in His hands though to us it may appear to be in the sting ray or the mosquito, or the car accident or the disease or the wrong diet or the drug overdose and the list goes on and on.....

This is not to say that I do not empathise with your DH or that I try to trivialise the pain of loosing a parent. I went to pieces and took a Valium injection that could knock out an elephant when my Mother was in Hospital with fatal liver cancer. My tears did not have any interlude. No, not a drop at a time like you see in the movies. More like a wall of water ceaselessly keeping me under a blur of pain.....and I was not a small child but a grown adult. I can not imagine what it is like to loose some one who is your role model and upon whom you are dependent as a child.......It can only be shatteringly painful.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

hebrewroots98

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »

Arcturus, Thank you for your compassion.  It made me weep for my husband just reading your post.  It has made all of the difference in the personality of my DH.  He never had the nurturing that a mother gives to her son, and yet he is compassionate when he needs to be. Most people do not fare well growing up with no mother, but God has blessed him.

iris

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 11:46:34 PM »

Kat,

Is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico the same as the pure vanilla that
is sold in the U.S. Is there a difference in it?

Iris

Kat

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 01:55:15 AM »

Hi iris,

Since you ask I did a little search on vanilla.

Because vanilla originally came from Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, and because, at one time Mexico produced the world's finest vanilla, it follows that it would still be true.
In fact, nearly all of the so-called vanilla extract coming from these countries is synthetic!
Clear is pure, synthetic vanillin. It's often called "crystal vanilla."
The two most common sources for synthetic vanillin have been Lignin Vanillin, a by-product of the paper industry, which has been chemically treated to resemble the taste of pure vanilla extract, and Ethyl Vanillin, which is a coal-tar derivative and frequently far stronger than either Lignin Vanillin or pure vanilla.

Is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico the same as the pure vanilla that is sold in the U.S. Is there a difference in it?

Pure vanilla extracts sold here are labeled as such, synthetic is labeled as imitation.  Mexico label laws in Mexico aren't enforced.

But the hint said to use the clear, which is synthetic, so maybe the imitation is better as a bug repellent  ???

Anyway that's what I found out.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

joyful1

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 08:43:12 AM »

:) or...you could just put up some "bat boxes" in your yard....I forget how many times their weight...but bats consume some "X" amount of times their weight in mosquitos and other flying insects each day...I know for us...since the bats moved in, very few mosquitos here now! I hate bats, but they do their job....kindda like the vultures in scriptures...and I hate mosquitos MORE! :) just a thought! joyce

iris

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »

Hi Kat,

Thanks for the information about vanilla.
I think I'll stick to something else as a bug
repellent.  ;D

Joyce...if I put bat boxes in my back yard,
and bats moved in, it would drive my neighbors
crazy. Hummmmmmm  ;D  ;D  ;D

Iris

hebrewroots98

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »

Arcturus,
I can't imagine your pain at the loss of your mother.  Thanks To Heavenly Father that all of these relationhips will be restored one day and we shall know these precious loved ones for ever! :D

Interesting about vanilla!

joyful1

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 04:41:14 PM »

:D funny Iris:  true fact: bats always turn left when exiting a cave or container....point the box in the direction of your neighbors house so that they always head out to their property and then sit back and watch the fun....now, don't TELL them you're getting bats....just let them find out! hehehehehe ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.