bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do geese fly in a "v"?  (Read 7236 times)

skydreamers

Why do geese fly in a "v"?
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:24:16 PM »

Why do geese fly in a V?

Energy conservation and visual assurance.

Why do geese fly in a V? Because it would be too hard to fly in an S! Just kidding. Scientists have determined that the V-shaped formation that geese use when migrating serves two important purposes:

First, it conserves their energy. Each bird flies slightly above the bird in front of him, resulting in a reduction of wind resistance. The birds take turns being in the front, falling back when they get tired. In this way, the geese can fly for a long time before they must stop for rest.

The second benefit to the V formation is that it is easy to keep track of every bird in the group. Fighter pilots often use this formation for the same reason.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/geese.html

Science has  learned that the flock actually travels up to 71 percent faster and easier by maintaining this pattern.  The goose on the point of the "V" has the most difficult assignment, resulting from greater wind resistance.  Thus, that lead position is rotated every few minutes in the air, which permits the flock to fly long distances without rest.  The easiest flight is experienced at the two rear sections of the formation and, remarkably, the strong geese permit the young, weak, and old birds to occupy those less strenuous positions.  It is even believed that the constant "honking" of the flock is a method by which the stronger birds encourage the laggards.  Furthermore, if a goose becomes too tired or is ill and has to drop out of the flock, he is never abandoned.  A healthy bird will follow the ailing one to the ground and wait with him until he can continue in flight.  This cooperation within the social order contributes greatly to the survival and well-being of the flock....

(Excerpt taken from J. Dobson, The Strong-Willed Child)

Wow, the beautiful messages God sends us through nature:

Romans 1:20
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made...

Peace,
Diana

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: Why do geese fly in a "v"?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »

Each bird flies slightly above the bird in front of him, resulting in a reduction of wind resistance. The birds take turns being in the front, falling back when they get tired. In this way, the geese can fly for a long time before they must stop for rest.

And here I thought it was to keep out of the way of the bird in front pooping on them.

Craig

Kat

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »

Hi Craig,

That was great  ;D
I needed a little laugh from serious stuff, thanks.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Patrick

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »

Each bird flies slightly above the bird in front of him, resulting in a reduction of wind resistance. The birds take turns being in the front, falling back when they get tired. In this way, the geese can fly for a long time before they must stop for rest.

And here I thought it was to keep out of the way of the bird in front pooping on them.

Craig

Craig, they wait until a human, and/or their material possessions, is/are in the crosshairs. ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:07:29 PM by Patrick »

iris

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:37:10 PM »

Craig, that was funny, thanks for the laugh!!!

;D  ;D  ;D

Iris

skydreamers

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:30:29 AM »

Craig

gmik

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »

;D

What always stumps me tho is, HOW do they know HOW to fly in a V???  I know God gave them instinct, but I wanna know how it works & how they teach it to their little ones??

Its like asking how a TV works?  Oh, electricity.  No that is not an answer!!!

Seriously tho, I have always been intrigued w/ "instinct".

joyful1

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 08:38:02 AM »

:D Diana--
It's been scientifically proven that teenagers also "fly" in "V" formation....taking turns being the "point man" to wear down the parents...."instinctively" they seem to know exactly where to "take" the conversation at all times in order to gain the advantage!  hehehehe! :D  Joyce

YellowStone

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »

Hi Gena,

If I remember correctly, you are a teacher ;)

Imagine for a moment that all your students instinctively knew everything they needed to know and understand to enter college.

You would not have to teach them anything. You could perhaps say that instict is cause without effect; however, just because the effect is unknown to us, the instructions that enable all instinctive actions were given by God.

So, in answer to your question, there is no teaching for the youngs ones already know.

I hope this helps,  :)

Love in Christ,
Darren

Kat

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 05:24:37 PM »

Hi Gena,

Well just what is instinct?

in•stinct \"in-'stingkt\ n 1 : a natural aptitude 2 : a largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason; also : behavior originating below the conscious level — 3 : imbued, infused (Merriam-Webster)

I think the key to animal behavior is they do not reason, they just do what instinct God has given them to survive.  But that instinct can be very complicated, scientist can't even figure out how they know how to do many of the things they do. 
Neither do they know right from wrong, because they do not have a conscience.

con•science \"kan-chens\ n : consciousness of the moral right and wrong of one's own acts or motives (Merriam-Webster)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

eggi

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:49:52 PM »

"I believe I can fly! I believe I can touch the sky!"
Ouch! Couldn't...

;D

I guess animals are brighter than they seem, they are capable of incredible things! Only instincts? Maybe, but I think they also possess imagination.

An amazing animal story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=422784&in_page_id=1770
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uYYwt8CQ5fw

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

gmik

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 08:16:39 PM »

Thanks all!

blakparty

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 11:28:37 PM »

Craig that was funny!!!! ;D

Anyway, it reminds me when Job was being judge by God and Job's friends put there "expert advice" in Job's head.  The scientist are still trying to figure out the small things of God.  God remind Job (well really his friend) that not only do he control the birds that fly in that V shape but everything else and that everything is done for His purpose and also to show His self to mankind.  But most of mankind is so blind to it and then when they see a little bit, they are now "wise". Job 38
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.