bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: saved through fire  (Read 4164 times)

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
saved through fire
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:09:16 PM »

Hi everyone~
  Is this passage talking about every person, or is it just talking about the Christians who "build on the foundation [Christ]"? I believe in the salvation of all, but I'm wondering if this passage is referring to EVERYBODY, or are the ones who build "wood, hay and straw" a particular group, such as the ministers and Christians who are blinded? If this passage is indeed talking about the salvation of all, how do non-Christians "build on the foundation that is Christ"? Maybe I am incorrectly assuming the "work" of verse 13 is the same "building on the foundation" of verse 12.

1 Corinthians 3

6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was giving growth;

7 so that neither is he who is planting anything, nor he who is watering, but He who is giving growth -- God;

8 and he who is planting and he who is watering are one, and each his own reward shall receive, according to his own labour,

9 for of God we are fellow-workmen; God's tillage, God's building ye are.

10 According to the grace of God that was given to me, as a wise master-builder, a foundation I have laid, and another doth build on [it],

11 for other foundation no one is able to lay except that which is laid, which is Jesus the Christ;

12 and if any one doth build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw --

13 of each the work shall become manifest, for the day shall declare [it], because in fire it is revealed, and the work of each, what kind it is, the fire shall prove;

14 if of any one the work doth remain that he built on [it], a wage he shall receive;

15 if of any the work is burned up, he shall suffer loss; and himself shall be saved, but so as through fire.

YellowStone

Re: saved through fire
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »

Hi Extol

1Cr 3:10  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

1Cr 3:11  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1Cr 3:12 and if any one doth build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw --

1Cr 3:13 of each the work shall become manifest, for the day shall declare [it], because in fire it is revealed, and the work of each, what kind it is, the fire shall prove;

Extol, I think the answer to your question is dependant on the interpretation of "Let Every Man." Perhaps vs 12 aids in the correct understanding.

Paul gives us a very wide and diverse range of 'building' materials; I would imagine that anything built from straw is pretty fragile to say the least; however, I believe the true meaning is tied to the inclusion of: "If anyone doth build...." This would seem to indicate that not all would chose to build.

Yet, as you say, verse 13 that the great fire of purification will indeed reveal the works of all for what they are. Clearly those built of spiritual Gold, Silver, ect will fair better than those built of hay and straw. Clearly those building of these materials did so half-heartedly; for not all who hear and learn the truth will live accordingly.

2Ti 4:4  And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Their faith and works became as hay. Is hay better than no building material at all? For certainly there are many who have totally rejected Christ and have not built on the foundation that Paul speaks of.

Good question, I will leave that up to God. :)

However, Paul certainly realizes that there are many roles within the Church.

1Cr 3:6  I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Yet all members are to work together for the good of the Church of Christ.

Well this is my understanding as given to me.

Love to you in Christ,
Darren

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:15:32 PM by YellowStone »

Kat

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »

Hi Extol,

I believe in the salvation of all, but I'm wondering if this passage is referring to EVERYBODY, or are the ones who build "wood, hay and straw" a particular group, such as the ministers and Christians who are blinded?

Paul here is speaking to the believers, but these were imature babes in Christ.

1Cor 3:1  And I, brothers, could not speak to you as to spiritual ones, but as to fleshly, as to babes in Christ.

Since these are believers, they do have the foundation of Christ.  Those who do not have the Truth, have no foundation.

Luke 6:47  Whoever comes to Me and hears My Words, and does them, I will show you to whom he is like.
v. 48  He is like a man who built a house and dug deep and laid the foundation on a rock; and a flood occurring, the stream burst against that house and could not shake it; for it was founded on a rock.
v. 49  But he who hears and does not perform, is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, on which the stream burst, and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.

In 1 Cor.3, I think that Paul is telling those immature believers in verse 13, that they need to step up to there calling.  And that they are being judged now and what they do(works) in this life, "of each the work shall become manifest, for the day shall declare [it],"  "the day" is the return of Christ at the first resurrection.

14 "if of any one the work doth remain that he built on [it], a wage he shall receive;"

I believe this wage is the reward, for each of how they will service under Christ in the kingdom.

Rev 22:12  "And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work.

15 "if of any the work is burned up, he shall suffer loss; and himself shall be saved, but so as through fire."

None of the ways of the flesh will be left in the elect when they are resurrected, it will all have to be burned out.

If this passage is indeed talking about the salvation of all, how do non-Christians "build on the foundation that is Christ"?

For the vast majority of humanity that will be in the Lake of fire.  All will be taught the Truth/Christ, and build on that foundation/Christ.  They will be taught righteouness and also brought into the kingdom.

Rev 15:4  Who shall not fear You, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You only are holy. For all nations shall come and worship before You, for Your righteousnesses were made known.

Hope this helps.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »

Yellowstone & Kat---
 Thanks for your replies. They were very helpful.  :) Thanks especially for all of the other verses you listed. I love how it all works together. "The sum of thy word is truth!"--Psalm 119:160
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.