bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KoKO the "talking" gorilla  (Read 4770 times)

gmik

KoKO the "talking" gorilla
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:10:47 PM »

I am probably way behind the times, but I was just reading this article about Koko.

She has(had)emotions, feelings, concrete and non-concrete thought processes, wants, needs, desires, knew truth from lie etc etc.

I am just puzzling over this.  I don't know how I feel about it.  It would seem to some that we are more related than previously thought.  Does evolution play a role??  Does this scare "conservative christians"?

If you know anything about this please share.  This probably made the rounds long ago, but I just saw it for the 1st time.

joyful1

Re: KoKO the "talking" gorilla
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:46:49 AM »

Gena-- I've also been intrigued about the instinct of animals too....I think in the end...its not that they are "more human" than we thought...its that WE are more "beastly" than WE thought!  ::)

YellowStone

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:00:05 PM »

Gena and Joyful,

Never forget that we humans are the sole proprietor of intelligence. There are 1000's of documented cases of animals (often pets) "working" things out for themselves.

What I am saying is that "see" humans do something, and think "I" could do that, and determine a means to make it happen. I have seen cats jump onto a book-shelf and then extend themselves to a lever type door handle and with their weight, open the door.

I do not believe that this is instinctive, but rather intelliegence not so different than our own.

Perhaps we should not be surprised, because humans and animals alike are souls and share the same spirit of life. :)

Gen 1:20 ¶ And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hathlife, and fowl [that] may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

That hath = nephesh {neh'-fesh} [5315]

1) soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire,
    emotion, passion
    a) that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul,
        the inner being of man
    b) living being
    c) living being (with life in the blood)
    d) the man himself, self, person or individual
    e) seat of the appetites
    f) seat of emotions and passions
    g) activity of mind
        1) dubious
    h) activity of the will
        1) dubious
     i) activity of the character
       1) dubious

Does this make sense? Comments welcome :)

Love in Christ,
Darren

cherokee

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »

Yes Darren,

Your post made sense, and was saying the same thing I was trying to say in a post myself, but my puter messed up and I lost it.

I would however like to comment on the evolution part.

As far as us evolving from apes, Yes we may have the same body type, emotions and other simalarity but the DNA is not close. If we did evolve from some other life form,and (I do not believe we did), wouldn't it make more sense to have evolved from something with a closer DNA match, like sheep. Scientist have proven that of all the animals theirs is the closest to ours.

Just my thoughts.

All comments welcome.

Ever learning in Christ,
Suzie

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »

Suzie,

I agree 100% - The DNA is VERY different :)

But, I would like to add that evolution is an ongoing process; species adapt/evolve to their surrounds. Darwins belief that the strongest survive and influence the populace over time was correct, but it had nothing to do with brute strength, rather it had to do with the ability to cope best with the change in surrounds over time. However, no matter how much breeding and cross breeding (not man influenced genetic mutations), a cow will always be a cow.

It's a wonderful subject. ;)

Love in Christ,
Darren

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 01:09:44 PM by YellowStone »

gmik

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »

Hey I didn't know that our DNA is closest to sheep!!  That sounds like a joke from our Lord!!!  We are like sheep!

Joy, that was a cute joke too.

When my son was just getting into Ray's site, he e mailed me and said "Say hi to my brother Jackee"(our dog). He had been reading in Eccl.  where we are beasts!!  When I finally got to that part I thought it pretty funny.

Was there ever cows in the wild??? You know like a stallion running across the range???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 16 queries.