bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coals of Fire  (Read 6935 times)

hillsbororiver

Coals of Fire
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:32:05 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Earlier today my daughter wanted me to provide her some scriptures that pertained to a particular ongoing issue she has had at work, as I was putting some things together my search took me to Proverbs 25 & Romans 12, I thought I would share this in the hope that it may comfort one or two of our brethren here.

Proverbs 25

1These are also proverbs of Solomon, which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied out.

2It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

3The heaven for height, and the earth for depth, and the heart of kings is unsearchable.

4Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer.

5Take away the wicked from before the king, and his throne shall be established in righteousness.

6Put not forth thyself in the presence of the king, and stand not in the place of great men:

7For better it is that it be said unto thee, Come up hither; than that thou shouldest be put lower in the presence of the prince whom thine eyes have seen.

8Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

9Debate thy cause with thy neighbour himself; and discover not a secret to another:

10Lest he that heareth it put thee to shame, and thine infamy turn not away.

11A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

12As an earring of gold, and an ornament of fine gold, so is a wise reprover upon an obedient ear.

13As the cold of snow in the time of harvest, so is a faithful messenger to them that send him: for he refresheth the soul of his masters.

14Whoso boasteth himself of a false gift is like clouds and wind without rain.

15By long forbearing is a prince persuaded, and a soft tongue breaketh the bone.

16Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.

17Withdraw thy foot from thy neighbour's house; lest he be weary of thee, and so hate thee.

18A man that beareth false witness against his neighbour is a maul, and a sword, and a sharp arrow.

19Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint.

20As he that taketh away a garment in cold weather, and as vinegar upon nitre, so is he that singeth songs to an heavy heart.

21If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

22For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

23The north wind driveth away rain: so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue.

24It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house.

25As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.

26A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring.

27It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.

28He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

Romans 12

1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

4For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

6Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

8Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

9Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

10Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

11Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

12Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

13Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

14Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

15Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

hillsbororiver

Re: Coals of Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »

I thought it might be of some value to give a few more details as to what the real issue was behind my daughter's request for some scriptural advice or Words of comfort.

Our daughter is a Special Ed. teacher in the public school system here in Tampa, she presently holds a Masters Degree in her field and is only a few hours away from her Doctorate, she takes her work very seriously and is constantly looking for new and different ways to capture these children's attention and getting them to interact with others. She is qualified to teach gifted as well as challenged children but this year she is teaching the severely physical as well as mentally handicapped children, many of them have to have their diapers changed even though they are of middle school age.

At first this was a real shock to her as the reality of the situation was not quite what was advertised to her when she applied for the position (coming from a different school district) she was promised an Aide and a nurse to be at her disposal but she was not told about the attitude and complacency of her "helpers" and the prevalent apathy of the Administration in regard to the students under her care and tutelage.

The reality of the situation was that the Aide and nurse actually felt they ran the show and were resistant to any changes brought to the classroom, they were more than a bit jaded and were not shy in stating that they were all there to babysit as these kids were "too far gone" to ever learn anything. Our daughter was advised by them to "just get over yourself" and help out cleaning these kids up when they mess.

She found out the hard way that this complacency and jaded attitude was all pervasive and went virtually all the way to the top with very few exceptions. Thankfully for the children our daughter has inherited some stubborness from her parents and refused to just fall in line, she created some interesting and unique programs to get these kids attention and hold it.

To make a long story short her creative style of teaching actually started to show measurable results and parents (and even the children's medical doctors) began to write and call the school with positive comments about the progress of many of the kids, our daughter only heard of a few as most of the communication was sent directly to the Administrators.

Someone from outside (either a doctor or parent) sent a synopsys of the improvement of one of the children in understanding words even vocalizing a few on their own and their new found interest of observing and interacting with the computer to an outside (private) entity that promotes Special Education's use of technology, they donate money and nationally recognize the top 10 (in their opinion) Special Ed. teachers in the country.

The winner gets a trip to Washington, D.C. and a cash prize, the trip to Washington includes a meeting with government as well as private corporation representatives who have an interest in Special Ed.

Her school's staff were very unsupportive in her quest and seemed to not want the publicity inherent in a situation such as this, there was no help or encouragement from any of the brass but a few of the teachers did privately give support.

Anyway, word came that our daughter won the Special Ed. Teacher award and the sponsers were coming to the school to film her class and interview the players, what had her so upset and wanting some biblical comfort was that the administration treated the sponsors of this award and program like unwelcome guests, leaving them to wait over an hour in the school gym even though they knew her classroom was decorated and prepared for the crew, it was a very distressing start of what should have been a very proud moment in her young career.

I have purposely been rather vague in some of the details as the announcement of this award has not been officially made and it will be accompanied by the footage filmed at her school.

His Peace to you,

Joe         

Kat

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »

Hi Joe,

What an amazing acomplishment your daughter has achieved.  And what a disgraceful additude her school has shown.  But I see she is going to get the recognition that she so deserves, and those others will one day give account too.
But as you brought out in the scriotures you presented;

19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »

Hi Joe,

In a past life I too was involved in a situation somewhat similiar as your daughter, although in a different capacity.

If you are interested I will PM you the story :)

Bottom line, the powers that were, treated the kids less than cattle. At least cattle were "worth" something  :(

Thanks for sharing, my prayers are with her.

Your brother in Christ,
Darren

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:33:20 AM »

Thank you Kat & Darren for your thoughtful responses (yes, Darren send me a PM),

Our daughter really feels that she is being being called by God to be a tool in opening up and expanding the communication level of these very challenged children, we are constantly reminding her that pioneers in any field or situation will meet adversity, especially if the motivation stems from a love for our Lord and a willing spirit to do His Will in our lives.

We all believe that these trials are only going to strengthen her both spiritually and professionally, overcoming obstacles and adversity through faith is a lesson we will all learn at some point, (hopefully)sooner rather than later.

His Peace to you,

Joe 

Redbird

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »

Dear Joe,

The situation your daughter is in angers me to say the least.  My sincere prayers of comfort and support are with her.

1 John 3:17  But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

Lisa

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »

Hi Joe,

Your daughter has a caring and compassionate spirit.  Her students are blessed to have her in their lives.  I'm sorry she had to endure such lack of support and outright hostility from some at her school.  It is just another example of the cold-heartedness that exist in the world today.

Although I feel bad that your daughter has gone through this ordeal, it has been encouraging to hear how things are working out for her.  Thanks for sharing.

Rene'

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:06:21 PM »

Dear Lisa & Rene'

Thank you for your prayers and encouragement I will pass them along!

His Peace to you,

Joe

pylady

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »

Hi Joe,

To bring a new way to communicate to these severely handicapped children!
What hope and joy she must have brought to the children and their parents.
She must seem like a gift from God to them, when everyone else had given up on them.

God bless her.

With Christian love,

cindy

Robin

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »

I am very grateful for what your daughter is doing. It's wonderful and I hope she holds her ground.

I own a supported living service for adults with developmental disabilities. We teach them to live independently in their own homes. We work very hard with them with communication and helping them learn their rights and teaching them to make their own decisions. It brings tears to our eyes when they finally catch on and tell us what they want or don't want or stand up for themselves when they are being treated badly.

One of our guys could only say one word at a time when we first got him. He couldn't tell us if he hurt. He couldn't tell us what he needed or wanted. Now he says "That's my decision. I have a right to make a decision and that's what I've decided!"

Just think of the kids in your daughter's class. They won't have to wait until they are near 30 to reach that point. Not many people care enough to make that happen. They are like the nurse and the Aide. Even parents try to limit their potential.

Many prayers for your daughter and what she is trying to do.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »

Thank you Cindy & M.G.

It makes me proud of her the way she is handling this, we have watched her maturity level rise with her resolve to overcome these obstacles within the system. This has actually been an opportunity to witness to her bringing up the adversity some of the OT Prophets faced and through faith and perserverence overcame, particularly Joseph. Of course her situation is not nearly as extreme but she can see the parallell and message in his story pertaining to her own trials at the school.

We sure appreciate the prayers and support from everyone!

His Peace to you,

Joe

skydreamers

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »

Hi Joe, I've just had the chance to read this thread.  What an inspiring story!  Thank you for sharing.  May God continue to bless you and your family with wisdom through these trials.  Truly, what others mean for harm, God means for good...

Genesis 50:20
But as for you, you thought evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save a great many people alive.

God bless,
Diana

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 04:17:07 PM »

Very beautiful Diane, that was greatly appreciated!

All of these responses have been very inspirational to us, it is amazing what we can see and what most of the world misses.

His Peace to you,

Joe

gmik

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »

Joe, today was the first time I read this thread.  I would like to say, unbelievable, but being a teacher, I know too well the attitudes of plenty of people like that in those positions.  So sad.  BUT, thats why God puts your daughter in that situation.  God loves those kids.  He made them "that" way.  She is the laborer in the harvest for them.

Is the special something that we can watch on TV??  Does she get to go to DC??  That is so awesome!!!

Give her all our love.  We appreciate what she is doing and how much she cares for what the world says, are useless people!!

hillsbororiver

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »

Hi Gena,

Thank you for the kind words of empathy and encouragement, I will be sure to pass them on!

There will be TV coverage but not until the award is formally presented in Washington, D.C. they have footage of her interacting with the kids and will have a bit of a ceremony up at the Capitol.

A few months back when word got to her that she was being considered for the award she told the Principal and his Administrative Assistant about it and what it could mean for the kids and the school, let's say they were less than enthusiastic and later the Assistant told her she had "grandiose" ideas and that it would be time better spent to just "work the program." Michelle was surprised and disappointed and over supper that night we encouraged her to rise above the mediocrity and continue to do what was best for the kids. After supper I pulled out the DVD "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" (she had never seen it) and told her she might find some parallels in her and McMurphy's situation (although the ending I was quite sure would not be so extreme in her case). Well, she picked right up on it and her nickname for the Principal from then on was Principal Ratchit!   

Anyway, this has been a maturing experience for her and we are very proud of how she hung in there and continued to use every means possible to relate to the kids and in turn helping them to become more responsive and communicative.
The positive feedback from the parents and some of the children's Doctors was really a bigger reward to her than anything else, but of course she is ecstatic about the recognition and the doors this might open.

Well Gena it is down to two days before we get to meet together again, I am sure you and your husband are going to enjoy the Conference, it is an incredible experience.

His Peace to you,

Joe   

Chris R

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »

Hi Joe,

What a inspirational story, Change is a dirty word to those who have complacency, It is true that a majority of people will create problems for anyone who wishes to change the status quo.

You need not look any further than Rays reply section in this forum, for examples of such nonsense.

Your Daughter has done nothing but use unique and different methods to help those who are in need, and in the process create a better quality of life for them as well as their guardians, and or parents.

For this I applaud her courage and pray for her strength, what a challenge this must be for her.

Peace

Chris R

psalmsinger

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 09:46:58 AM »

What an inspiring story!  I thank God for your daughter and her compassionate Godly heart in her work.  The award and recognition of her work benefits tremendously those children society thinks aren't "worth a dime".  God holds those little ones very dear to His heart in love and His will being done makes that very clear!  See you later.

Barbara 

seminole

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 11:56:20 AM »

That's awesome what your daughter did. God's blessings will be on her, I know!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »

Hello Joe

It appears that God is confounding the world through the hearts and minds that the world rejects but that you daughter embraces. Jesus did the same. He picks up the broken and lowly hearted and your daughter is mirroring His image. God bless you and your family that is giving encouragement and approval for her continuing selfless goal to bring healing and peace to others.

Hope Michelle enjoys from Christ her recognition through Washinton! It was non other but HIS hand that brought her such an open door.  HE and HIS own will go forth in joy! Thank you for sharing this precious time and event.

Peace to you

Arcturus

hillsbororiver

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 07:33:38 PM »

Dear Chris, Barbara, Seminole & Arcturus,

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words, I must tell you that Michelle was pleasantly surprised and deeply touched by all the responses made in this thread. It is truly amazing how the simple ideas carried forward can spawn great achievements.

The first thing she did in regard to capturing the attention of "her kids" (as she likes to refer to them) was setting up a basic web cam so they could see themselves and their classmates on the computer monitor, they were captivated almost immediately, from that point on she added little tasks with the mouse where they could click on a thumbnail and blow the picture up to full screen, slowly she incorporated little learning exercises where they could associate words and pictures. The progress with some of them was almost miraculous (not my words, this was said by more than a few parents).

Thank you all again, you really brightened her day!

Joe 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.