bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion Origins  (Read 3718 times)

berniekruger

Religion Origins
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:43:18 PM »

This is an interesting word I once read the definition about in a book.  I had to google this to find it and did.

[Middle English religioun, from Old French religion, from Latin religi, religin-, perhaps from religre, to tie fast; see  rely.]

The original definition I read about is that it meant to bind up, sounds a bit like an antonym to what Christianity should be about.

"Who the Son sets free is free indeed"

as opposed to "binding up"

Comments will be interesting.

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Religion Origins
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 06:10:52 PM »

Wow! What an interesting observation!

If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion [G2356] is vain.
Pure religion [G2356] and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (Jas 1:26-27 KJV)

G2356
θρησκεία
thrēskeia
thrace-ki'-ah
From a derivative of G2357; ceremonial observance: - religion, worshipping.
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.