bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a Thought  (Read 5649 times)

bambam

Just a Thought
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:38:01 AM »

This may sound bad, but I kind of giggle inside sometimes when I hear about hell anymore.  The more I read the Scripture and the more I read here, hell just sounds absolutely ridiculous!  And it amazes me how others have done the same thing I did-beg for the truth, and that's when God opened their eyes.  I guess when you think you already know the truth (ie Hell), there's no reason to ask or beg for it, right?  I am just in awe of God!  Sorry if my comment is in the wrong place-I just had to share. ;)

Beth

YellowStone

Re: Just a Thought
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »

Hi Beth,

I know exactly what you mean. I knew many in the church who could talk down to anyone because of their belief. ESPECIALLY when they were asked to explain it :)

And they think we are lost..... :)

Thanks so much for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Love in Christ,
Darren

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »

Welcome Beth,

I know what you mean as far as this idol of the heart eternal hell hole business goes, the reactions are amazing when I speak to some of my family and friends about this. I might get a look like they are thinking I have finally lost my mind to the look of a child when someone tells them there is no Easter Bunny, once our eyes are opened to the Truth of the matter it does seem more than a little ridiculous.

His Peace to you,

Joe 

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »

I guess when you think you already know the truth (ie Hell), there's no reason to ask or beg for it, right?

Beth

Beth,

You "nailed" it with that statement.  Those "Christians" who are still in spiritual darkness, believe their "man-made" doctrines are truth.  They do not know they are spiritually blind.  Jesus addresses this very issue at John 9:41; i.e., those who are blind but think they have sight.  In addition, they believe the "lie" because until you are blessed with spiritual sight, you are experience a "strong delusion" (2 Thes. 2:11).  However, this is all a part of God's will and purpose at this time!

Rene'

mari_et_pere

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »

Beth,
LOL! I know exactly what you mean! At the same time, when I think of how misled people are, some of them being all of my closest loved ones, it makes me very sad. They've been misled by all arenas of the modern "Christian" life: church leaders, media like books magazines tracts and music, it's all around us! How ever did WE find a way out of that? Mind boggling.

Matt

aktikt

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »

Beth,
LOL! I know exactly what you mean! At the same time, when I think of how misled people are, some of them being all of my closest loved ones, it makes me very sad. They've been misled by all arenas of the modern "Christian" life: church leaders, media like books magazines tracts and music, it's all around us! How ever did WE find a way out of that? Mind boggling.

Matt

Matt I'll answer your rhetorical question.  Jesus dragged us out. 

For me, He dragged me out by causing me to be brought to my knees by my own sin.  That, on top of the condemnation I felt for my sin.  The church answer was always just stop.  Free will your self to stop sinning.  It's all your fault.  The fact that I could not stop on top of the condemnation for not stopping was too much to bear.  I was doing everything in my power to stop and I was helpless.   I was so utterly weak and helpless to defeat sin that I desperately wanted to defeat.  He humiliated me and broke me.  I am the weak of the world. 

On top of that, I had confusion and sort of schizophrenia about free will vs pre-destination.  These ideas continually preoccupied my thoughts and I would go down the logical implications of freewill and predestination so far until I lost the thread of logic only to take it up time and again. 

My mind and will were both being humiliated.  I could not stop sinning using my will and I could not solve the freewill vs. predestination 'problem'.  I surely would have committed suicide eventually, had He not stepped in finally and helped me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:45:32 PM by aktikt »
Shakespeare-There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

bambam

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 02:03:37 PM »

On top of that, I had confusion and sort of schizophrenia about free will vs pre-destination.  These ideas continually preoccupied my thoughts and I would go down the logical implications of freewill and predestination so far until I lost the thread of logic only to take it up time and again. 

aktikt,
    It's interesting for you to mention the whole free-will vs pre-destination topic because that is the very thing that ultimately caused me to beg God to show me the truth!!  It was making me absolutely crazy.  I began to study the original Greek words and kept coming to the conclusion that God is definitely choosing certain people for something, but I couldn't believe that He was sending people to hell.  It broke my heart and buried me under a pile of anger at God for being this way.  Then I started begging and I am so thankful that He began to bring me to the truth.  I feel like I can breathe knowing that God is in COMPLETE control over everything right down to the very number of hairs on my head-I am in awe!

Beth
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 02:04:19 PM by bambam »

aktikt

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »

Beth,

It is amazing isn't it.  And like Ray says, the answer to our problem is not even in the same universe as the question.  There is no freewill and predestination problem because there is no freewill. 

Once Ray convinced me, using the Scriptures, that there was no freewill, I knew immediately that there was no hell.  Surely God would not send anyone to hell if they had no free will. 

God bless you,
Josh
Shakespeare-There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

mari_et_pere

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 04:11:39 AM »

Josh, that was an awesome mini-testemonial there! I felt that way for a while. The truth is like losing weight or body building; you have to go through hardships and pain to achieve what you want (or need.) I know that's a terrible analogy but it's the best I could come up with.  ??? ::)

Joh 16:12  “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
[I suppose back then we wouldn't have been able to bear, or even understand, what we now know. Taking tha even further, I imagine that sometime in the future, I'll know things then that I "cannot bear...now."]

Joh 16:13  However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Joh 16:14  He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

Joh 16:33  These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
[Thank God that He allowed us to have that peace! The world may cause pain, but we can stand in good cheer because He indeed is mightier than anything the world can throw at me.]

Matt

CDJ

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 04:47:53 AM »

Wow. All that can be added is "Thank you Lord"  :)

seminole

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 11:54:46 AM »

I wanted nothing to do with God. My parents dragged me around to different places because my Dad was a singer. The churches we went to, I just hated. I associated God with all those things I hated instead of who God really is. Making a long story short, I started drinking at 12, drugs by 14 and it was on. I was a good athelete. I didn't have to do well in school. They had other, smarter kids to do our work for us so we could keep playing. I had scholarships and offers to a few different colleges to play college ball. The morning finally came about 2:00 a.m. , after the bar closed when I found myself sitting on the sidewalk with no way home. I hated the life I had put myself in. That was the start of the turning point to my life. It wasn't easy and it took a few years to finally stop what I was doing to myself. I had lost everything good I had going on. After about 5 years of up-hill struggles I kicked the substance abuse. A couple of years later I felt that Jesus was dealing with my heart. The fire and brimstone stuff didn't get me but the unconditional love of Jesus did get me and I was glad to get got! I have memory problems to this day from concusions in football but also from the drug use. I will live with that the rest of my days but the main thing is now I will LIVE!
Seminole
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.