bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is it to Edify our brothers and sisters  (Read 8126 times)

YellowStone

What is it to Edify our brothers and sisters
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:44:23 PM »

This question has been on my mind for sometime  :)

I write this with a true heart, because it is something that I see and experience myself in this forum. I keep asking, why would not like (spiritually) minded brethren not want to ask for clarification to gain understanding if a post from another brother or sister is read and one feels that it is WRONG? Why also are many responses worded like: "No, I do not agree...." :( When a simple, "If I understand you correctly, you think .......could you explain?" :)

Please understand that I am NOT talking to everyone here...

Is not a positive response more in line with the Scriptures than a negative?

We are instructed to edify one another and seek to make peace and comfort one another, instead of waiting for someone to say, (or not) and then lambaste on how wrong they are. :(

Paul does not promote disagreement, instead he lauds us to make peace and

Rom 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. 

1Th 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 

Edify is a wonderful word and its meaning should never be lost.

1) to build a house, erect a building
    a) to build (up from the foundation)
    b) to restore by building, to rebuild, repair
2) metaph.
    a) to found, establish
    b) to promote growth in Christian wisdom, affection, grace, virtue, holiness, blessedness
    c) to grow in wisdom and piety

We should not seek to tear down, to laud over, but rather to build up, and promote spiritual growth instead of dissension. we should be pious, righteous by virtue and show that we are indeed ambassadors for God and his Truth, and that we are not trying to nullify Christs ransom.

I think we should a take a look at our actions towards one another. If we treat each other as the world treats its own; how can we say we are any different.

In the name of Christ, who loves us all.

Darren
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:01:04 AM by YellowStone »

seminole

Re: What is it to Edify our brothers and sisters
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:09:14 PM »

You've got my vote on that one. It is harder to do sometimes but I think it is right.

Jackie Lee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:39 PM »

Nice post Darren I agree.

YellowStone

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:42:13 PM »

You've got my vote on that one. It is harder to do sometimes but I think it is right.

Thanks Seminole,

I think if we all start edifying, building, supporting one another, we will all see and feel the difference. Because I know the Spirit in my heart is yearning for it.

Jam 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 

Edify your brethren and you will recieve the same and more back I am sure. :)

Love in Christ,
Darren

YellowStone

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:46:06 PM »

Nice post Darren I agree.
:)
Thanks Jackie Lee.

God is Truth and God is Spirit

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,     :D

Sounds good to me  :)

Love in Christ,

Your brother,
Darren

mari_et_pere

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 03:48:22 AM »

Excellent point, Darren. Sometimes (often) easier said than done.  :-X But I totally agree. Wholeheartedly. I'm sure I'm guilty of that at times. Sorry if I am. Really. :-[
I've been trying to keep in mind:

John 15:12  This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
John 15:17  These things I command you, that you love one another.

Sometimes love takes effort, and I'm sure people don't feel very loved when they hear "you are wrong you are wrong". If we're to love like Jesus, then we need to be more compassionate and less aggressive. Very good point you made.

Matt

Redbird

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 07:40:42 AM »

Good Morning Darren,

Great post.  I imagine the instructions in the bible on how we are to love one another is because God knows our nature.  Afterall, he is our creator. :) I only have one brother, and although we are totally different....he is a person I can talk to about anything.  He also has my trust.  What I'm trying to say is there is alot of fake and superficial love out in this world.  An honest and heartfelt conversation is worth alot to me these days.  Just wanted to add that in the forum and in your words too, I see this as a good thing by which we learn and grow.

Peace to all ~ Lisa

YellowStone

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 04:35:57 PM »

Thanks so much for your edifying posts Lisa and Matt.

Lisa: 

Isn't 'trust' the ultimate measure of faith? I think it is also a very good measure of "love" also, because what use is love without trust?  :)

I agree, finding like minded people (I have found a good many in this forum) :) who you can sit down with and simply share what's on your mind or in your heart, without fear of ridcule or shame is not easy. However, once found they are indeed a treasure.

Pro 27:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. 

Kind of fits with what you said about the "fake and superficial love" in this world.

Matt,

They are great Scriptures :)  and often overlooked. The love of the world is "self centered" because, the "I" is the center peice. "I" love you because.......

The Spirit of Truth, removes such conditions and restrictions. For even if I do not know a guy on the street, I must with a clear conscious and a true heart, treat this man with love and respect. How much more so should we treat our Spiritual brothers and sisters.

Love to you both,

Your brother in Christ,
Darren

jackson

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 06:36:58 PM »

Thanks Darren, great reminder.

I am the father of 2 young girls.  They have taught me so much about God and His ways. :D

For example, any attempt to discipline, correct or for that matter even question them without first "sugaring" them up would be meet with much disagreement.  So begining the conversation with a negative only means it will end the same.

In His Grace,
Jackson

Redbird

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »

Hi Jackson,

Ah....children, yes, mine have also shown me the true meaning of pure, unconditional love. :D

Lisa

YellowStone

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 10:59:24 AM »

Hi Jackson :)

I know what you mean about sugar coating discipline :)

Perhaps this is totally unrealated, but in Project Management, one rarely deals with anyone with whom an established trusting relationship exists.

On top of this, a Project Manager (PM) has no "real" power for rarely is he/she anyones "boss." So accordingly, it can be very difficult "making" someone do something that they "don't think" is necessary. The more a PM pushes, the greter the resistance.  ???

Yet, while it is difficult "making" someone do something, it not nearly so hard "making them want" to do something. Clearly, this is not done by pointing out their mistakes and the drastic effects they would have on the project.  :D

Rather it is acheived by gaining trust and respect, via open and honest communication as a "team." It is well proven when the individual team members can participate in the project planning and design phases, that they will begin to see themselves as a necessary part of the project. Thi in turn, invokes a sense of pride. :)

Lastly, a PM has three words he must never forget. Communication, communication and communication. Easy huh :)

I wish.... ;D

For no two people will hear, see or understand the same information. What is clear to some, maybe gibberish to others (welcome to Project Management) :) It is not enough to "assume" that "everyone" will understand. Communication is an open two-way line of understanding; it has to be bi-directional and the purpose is for clarification and never condemnation.

That was a little long-winded, but I think you will see that it parallels the approach you take with your two young girls. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Love in Christ,
Darren
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:24:47 AM by YellowStone »

Redbird

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 11:33:25 AM »

Hi Darren,

I could be wrong here.....but I think you're missing your sister. :) hint, hint Arcturus.  Hope I'm not out of line, as I love you two!

Peace, Lisa

YellowStone

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »

Lisa, you are just too fine!! :)

Everyone needs a sister like you and I am truly blessed.  :D

Christ never said that the road to truth and enlightenment would be easy.

Mat 7:14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Luk 13:24 "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 

Arcturus, I bare no grudges, for I have learned so much from you. I will never give up on you sister, please do not give up on me.

Love to you both, my sisters in Christ.

Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.