bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The word 'punishment'  (Read 3967 times)

SeeksAllTruth

The word 'punishment'
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »

Brothers and Sisters In Him,

I wanted to run this past any of you who may be able or are willing to share.  The other night when I was reading scripture, I can across the word punishment.  I could see there with my carnal mind that it is possible for the translators rendering the wrong word from greek to english.  Thats when I decided to look up the word punishment in the back of my study Bible.  Strongs listed where the word punishment comes from in the greek but also it listed another reference number for another word which listed the word chastise.  What I see here is that the translator had a choice of words to use.  Punishment or chastise.  Hmmm, which word fits pagan believes or doctrines better?  I pray that God is again begining to share His spiritual truths to me.

In His Love,

Kat

Re: The word 'punishment'
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »

Hi SeeksAllTruth,

Here is a segment out of Ray's no. 3 paper in the Lake of Fire series  'JUDGMENT BY FIRE MUST BEGIN AT THE HOUSE OF GOD.'

http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html ------------------------

PUNISHING VS. CHASTENING

While considering all of the hellfire and brimstone material disseminated by Christian teachers, preachers, writers, and educators around the world, just how many hundreds of times do you suppose the word "punishment" is used in the entire New Testament with regards to sinners? Hundreds? Would you believe less than fifty? Would you believe less than ten? Would you believe ONCE? That’s right, the answer is one time.

"Of how much more punishment [Gk: timoria], suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has done despite unto the Spirit of grace?" (Heb. 10:29).

I can assure you that those who have committed the above crime towards the Lord are few indeed. Most of humanity that will be judged in the lake of fire have NEVER EVEN HEARD of Jesus Christ, let alone, "trodden under foot the Son of God, and counted the blood of the covenant, an UNHOLY thing, and done DESPITE unto the Spirit of grace." Most have never even heard of such sins, let along committed them.

This is a most powerful Scripture to be sure, but it does not speak of "eternal" punishment, and it is the ONLY SCRIPTURE IN THE ENTIRETY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT that uses the word "punishment" with reference to punishing sinners!

There are three other places in the KJV that the word "punish" or "punished" is used correctly. They are Acts 4:21; 22:5; and 26:11 where it Saul (later Paul) is punishing not sinners, but members of the church, the followers of Christ.

II Thes. 1:9 should be translated, "eonian extermination" and not "punished ... everlasting."

II Peter 2:4 & 9 should both be "chastening" as it is the same Greek word kolazo and not timoria which means punish.

The KJV uses "punished" in verse nine, which should be "chasten," and ironically it doesn’t even translate the Greek word kolazo (chasten) in verse four -- the KJV translators left it out completely. I suppose the translators thought that it was redundant to say, "chastening judging." But then again, they didn’t bother to look at II Cor. 2:6 which should read "rebuke" (another Greek word, epitimia), not "punish."

And lastly, I Pet. 2:14 should read "vengeance" ( still another Greek word, kdikesise), and not punishment.

So in the case of "punishment" we have but ONE Scripture to deal with, and we will deal with it.
----------------------------------------------------

That whole paper had a lot in it about what the scripture taught about punishment.  I thought this was the most to the point of what you were asking about, hope it helped  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

rocky

Re: The word 'punishment'
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:35:14 PM »

wrong thread.  oops.  delete
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 01:35:43 PM by rocky »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.