bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is all the praying we do in public biblical ?  (Read 5365 times)

mrsnacks

Is all the praying we do in public biblical ?
« on: May 23, 2007, 01:58:28 AM »

I know that Jesus said that when we pray - go in private.

But in Christendom there is a lot of public prayer. A lot of getting together in a circle and everyone saying something to God. I really never felt comfortable with it and it's may be me. I was going through struggles especially when it came to my turn in the past. I would be trying to sound more spiritual or more clever than the prayer before me. Yes one can pray in the flesh. I did it. Public prayer can be a competition in a small way. Then even the pastor would ask God's blessings upon the message that he was about to speak etc. Then he would preach about tithing, hell or free will. And then when church people go out and eat together - one better not touch his food until the appointed one has prayed for everyone. I at times pray silently and thank Him for the food. Why is it that I have to always do it out loud ?
Anyway some thoughts ?

Redbird

Re: Is all the praying we do in public biblical ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:48 AM »

Hi Mr. Snacks,

Boy, you sure are a curious sort :D.  You're right, I also felt "off" in church praying in public because I know what Jesus says in the gospels, not to mention repeating prayers 10 or so times in a row like we did in the Catholic church, when Jesus says not to use vain repetitions. And what about idols....get my drift!  I could go on and on.  One more though, the clincher that finally got me was that Jesus said to call no man rabbi or father on earth, as one is our Father....God.  So, in my heart, I knew some of the things in the church were just not in agreement with Christ's teaching.  I am still thankful for the good stuff they taught though and I did learn alot.  But, I learned truth from Jesus. He is the one who has never let me down, His words ring true.  HE IS THE WAY AND THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE.

Well, I feel better now. :D
His peace to you ~ Lisa
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:29:49 AM by Redbird »

mari_et_pere

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 03:54:18 AM »

Praying in public reminds me of the Pharisees. They were high and mighty as they walked through the streets. I don't see my folks often enough, and this past Saturday my dad drive down here to pick up a couch that me and my wife gave them. Well, me and him went to get some lunch at Burger King. Of course he prayed over our food in Burger King.  :) He believes it's the right thing to do so I didn't say anything. The man is in his mid/late 60's; he's not going to change his ways just because his kid disagrees, you know what I mean? But I thought, "Oh my gosh, I bet the Pharisees would have prayed over their lunch at Burger King, very very loudly as to bring attention to the fact that they were SO good."
Not saying my dad did that, but I'm pretty inclined to say public prayer is for Pharisees. NO OFFENSE.

Matt

jackson

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »

Jesus teaches about prayer,

Matthew 6: 5 and 6
5. "When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them.  I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get.  6. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private.  Then your Father who sees everything will reward you."

There isn't really anything else that needs to be said.

In His Grace,
Jackson

mrsnacks

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 04:40:19 PM »

Jesus teaches about prayer,

Matthew 6: 5 and 6
5. "When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them.  I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get.  6. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private.  Then your Father who sees everything will reward you."

There isn't really anything else that needs to be said.

In His Grace,
Jackson

[/quote3

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You are right. I recall a few times when I have prayed in silent among other Christians in a restaurant and start to eat , then one will look at me and ask me did I pray. Or someone will say okay let's hold hands and pray.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:41:58 PM by mrsnacks »

seminole

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »

If all you are doing it for is to get attention or a pat on the back , that is the wrong reason. It all depends on the heart felt reason we do anything from this forum to praying in public or anything else. For instance, I am not going to say I agree with someone just to stay in good graces of this forum or any other thing. If I agree I will say so and if not same thing. It is all depending on what is truly in my heart.
Seminole

jER

Re: Is all the praying we do in public biblical ? (Just a Prayer)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 01:22:09 AM »

Lord, what is it you want me to do?

I know you want me to walk in your ways, learn of you, cast my burdens on you, and stand on your “Word.” You are the anchor of my hope and the things you desire for me are good. I’m waiting on you, Lord, to renew my strength. Your “Spirit of Truth” will not lead me into error. Your Word is life-giving. You are the discerner of the thought and intents of the heart. My Lord and my God, your ears are open to those who walk righteously before you. You tell me to ask for wisdom, in faith, and you shall give it to me liberally. Search me, Lord, reveal through your Spirit any way that is not pleasing to you. Let me be sensitive to the engrafted Word that can save my soul. Your “Holy Spirit” residing within me will teach me all I need to know. You reward those who diligently seek you. Your face, Lord, do I seek. I desire to obey your Word and walk after you; to leave the past behind and go forward in the hope of your high calling. I desire things that are “spiritually” discerned. Yes, my soul thirsts for the living God. This entire world is vanity, but your Word endures forever. I call to you and you hear me. Your ear is inclined from heaven toward me. You guide me with your eye and establish my comings and goings. Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. Cover me in the shelter of your wings. Do not forsake the work of your hands. A man devises his way, but you, “Lord”, direct my steps. I look not to the right or left, but keep my eyes fixed on you from whom my help comes. Nothing can separate me from your love or pluck me out of the Father’s hand. My members are written in your life; even the hairs of my head you have numbered. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am your workmanship, a masterpiece in Christ Jesus created for good works, which you preordained. Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts and your ways are higher than mine. The Holy Spirit, who searches the deepest things of God, and who you gave me as a comforter, testifies with my spirit of your “Will and Truth.” Jesus, even now you are at the right hand of God continually interceding on my behalf. You knew me and loved me before the foundation of the world. You have predestined me to be conformed to the image of your Son. Though my faith must be purified by “fire”, I know that you will never leave me or forsake me. Lord, you have all the answers and see the beginning and the end. Hear now the supplication of your child – that I may discern and obey “your will.” Reveal to me by faith through divine revelation, not by sight or feelings, the steps I must take to walk in the center of your will. Your wisdom is first pure, then holy, gentle, reasonable, kind, and impartial. Lord, “you” work All things together for the good of those who love you and “who are called” according to your purpose. I thank you, Lord, for the painful situations you have allowed in my life for they have turned my face back toward my “First Love.” If it be your will, I will be healed from these infirmities. If not, your Grace and provision of “unfailing love” shall be sufficient for me. Thank you for the gifts you have given me and for the talents I have yet to discover. I give them back to you. Do what you will with them for your Pleasure. Thank you for helping me to pray and for showing me how to forgive. May I continue to mature in you. Father, you are so worthy of praise and adoration. You loved me so much that you sent you’re only Son to die for me, so that I could be restored to you. Fill my life with your presence. Put a new song of praise in my heart. Purify my heart and tame my tongue. The bondage I was once in has no place in the “Spirit-filled life.”  I choose to lay it All at the foot of the cross and leave it there. Anyone whom the Son sets “free” is free indeed. When you ask, “Will you be made whole?” I answer, yes! May my hearing be opened and the eyes of my understanding behold who you truly are in me and what you truly think of me. Before a word is in my mouth, Lord, you know it already. You know the desires of my heart better than I do. I trust you, Lord, and love you with All my heart, mind, soul, and strength. Order my steps in the way that is pleasing to you and you alone. Fill me with your peace and lead me in the way I should go. Though I am a sinner, Lord, you uphold me with your righteous right hand. Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. In you there is no darkness at all. Everything is revealed and clear in your eyes. You are my strength and shield, my protector, my provider, my healer, my ever-present help in times of trouble. “You shall not let me be moved.” You are my high tower, my Father, prince of peace, savior, friend and the precious one who is with me wherever I go. You are my rock, my defense, my counselor and my hope. With you, Lord, “all things are possible.” I commit my way to you, Lord, knowing that you will establish my thoughts. I will be joyful because you have “overcome the world.” You know what I need and I trust you and stand on your promises because you cannot lie. Thank you, Lord, for being patient with me and for pulling my feet out of the miry clay and setting me on a rock. I look to you, Lord, author and finisher of my Faith, for I know that if I ask anything according to your will, you hear me and will grant the petitions I seek from you. Blessed is the name of the Lord!

Jerry

Jackie Lee

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 02:33:21 AM »

I usually do more reading than posting but wanted to encourage this thread maker and all the great answers.
I also have been where you have been mrsnacks and felt uncomfortable.
We have had prayer circles laying on hands and it just didn't seem comfortable to me.
To be honest I have never felt at ease in the church.
Oh and about calling someone Father usually in the *catholic church* that has always bothered me also.
Jerry great... thank you for that post.

seminole

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:15:15 AM »

Jerry that was great! The words really touched my heart . Thanks
Seminole

jackson

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »

Thank you Jerry,

That was powerful!!!!
We should all pray that prayer silently, individually and yet collectively with one heart and mind.

Thank you again Jerry for such an inspiring post.
Glory be to God

Jackson

GODSown1

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 03:31:10 AM »

wow! Thank You LORD,
                               man Im learning new things everyday Praise GOD, az quick az it is revelled 2 me, da more my wife gets further away hmm... I just Thank GOD az HE is in Control. My wife jus says well wots wrong wit prayn in a circle or in church etc.. its not hurtn n e 1, she believes Pray wit alot of christians boast der Faith, etc... So 2 keep things sembly I jus let it go, @least I voiced it I supoSe, I told her 2 read (Matt 6:5,6), she says 2 her, JESUS is just talkn 2 da pharisses, hypocrites etc.. not 2 da so called Legit christians lol! im sorry I just have 2 laugh bcoz where is a Legit so called christian in church? lol!. Well thort Id share d@ wit u alL az GOD haz jus resently jus pulled me frm da church, PRAISE His mighty! name n JESUS we Pray! Amen & Amen.

ps. & d@ waz behind closed doorS 2 lol!, or have I got d@ alL Wrong!? lol!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.