bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonship?  (Read 5742 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Sonship?
« on: May 25, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »

Hey Ray,
I am listening to your sermons on the Origins of Jesus as I write. But something caught my ear that I hope you can clear up. You stated something along the lines that we will not be adopted into the family of God as the Angels were, but that we will be begotten and that that is a far more intimate relationship with God. Can you then please explain the following scriptures?

Romans 8:15 “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.”

Romans 8:23  “And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.”

Galatians 4:5 “To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.”

Ephesians 1:5 “Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will”

Strong’s dictionary does not give any alternate definitions for the Greek. I of course am not refuting your statements but maybe I misunderstand you. My understanding is that to be “begotten” is quite different from being “adopted.” Thanks for your time.Roy

Dear Roy:  Yes, Strong's does give an alternate to "adoption" for the word "unibotheia," and in fact the "alternate" is his FIRST definition is "the PLACING OF A SON...SONSHIP." 

Webster's New Twenteth Century Dictionary Unabridged:"sonship"--"the STATE OF BEING A SON"

Romans 8:15....

"But you have received a spirit of SONSHIP"  (Rotherham's Emphasized Bible)

"...but a Spirit which makes us SONS"  (The New English Bible)

"...you have received the Spirit of SONSHIP"  (Moffatt Translation)

"...you received the Spirit of SONSHIP" (New International Version)

"...but you received a Spirit of SONSHIP" (Emphatic Diaglott).

"...but you got the spirit of SONSHIP" (Concordant Literal New Testament) Etc.

We are not merely adopted into the Family of God, but rather God has "BEGOTTEN us" [Gk: 'beget, be born--regenerate']" (I Pet. 1:3). And:  "Being BORN AGAIN [same Greek word], not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God..."  (Verse 23).

No, our final destination is to be BORN into the Kingdom of God, not just an "adoption." Some bibles do not ever use the word "adoption."  Even if we were to accept these Scriptures as "adoption," we still have the added knowledge that we are to be BORN into the Kingdom of God.

We are all "called," but is that our final destiny?  No, there is also (in addition to the called) those called ones who are CHOSEN, and even among the chosen, there must be the FAITHFUL (Rev.17:14).  Judas was called and chosen, but he was NOT FAITHFUL UNTIL THE END!!

Hope this helps your understanding.

God be with you,

Ray
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:52:47 AM by Kat »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.