bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Characteristics of a Religious Hobbyist  (Read 7355 times)

CDJ

Characteristics of a Religious Hobbyist
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:28:39 AM »

Good morning everyone :-)

Regarding one of Ray's emails Thanks Ray...

Judgment begins with each one of us looking at ourselves. When reading about the conference and Ray mentioning "Dear Hoyt:  Like I said, they are mostly "religious hobbyists," just wanting to hear "some new thing," but have almost zero interest in obeying or pleasing God. It's sad indeed.", it made me think.

How do I/we judge myself/ourselves to know that we are not just "religious hobbyists" in some cases. I find all these Truths mind-boggling and I know deep inside that there isn't another Truth out there, as we have all been from one "truth" to the next, in order for us to finally see the 1 Truth.

Any thoughts?

Walk strong :-)
Carl D.J.

mari_et_pere

Re: Characteristics of a Religious Hobbyist
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 03:43:53 AM »

1, We live in faith. 2, We have proof in the scriptures that what we believe is true. 3, If you have a heart for following Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and try to live like Him each day, then you're no hobbyist.

It sounds like Ray was referring to those who I call Sunday Christians. Pray and sing in church, then shout and cuss while football's on later. If you go to work with an ungodly attitude, but then sit at home and read about christianity, you're a hobbyist that he's referring to.

Peace.

Matt

Kat

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:49:32 PM »

Hi Carl,

To me a hobby is something that you do on the side.  It is only for part time interest, something just for fun.
When I was part of the church I was devoted to being a good Christian.  But I was still only a part time thing for me.  I went to church and read the Bible accasionally and prayed, but most of the time my mind was not on religion at all.  I was very much in the world in many ways.

The difference now, and it is a vast difference, is that I am consumed with learning this truth.  It is on my mind most of the time.  I find myself studying the scripture a great deal.  Just reading Ray articles, there are many scriptures to study and confirm.  And on this forum many questions lead to studying through a lot of scripture. 
When I am away from the forum and not reading, I still find these truths are on my mind.  I meditate on this quite a bit, even if I'm watching tv, I'm relating the truth to what I'm seeing.  I like to just sit in a quiet place and meditate, but don't get to do that much.   I'm not saying I never stop thinking about this truth, but unlike before, I want to think about it all the time.  This Truth seems so right in my spirit, that I want to learn as much as I possibly can, and there is no end to what we can learn, so I never get tired of seeking more.
So the difference is really huge.  I know it is Christ that puts the desire and the comprehension of it all in us. That's how I see it, and I have a deep appreciation for Christ in my life.

Eph 3:14  For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
v. 15  from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
v. 16  that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
v. 17  that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
v. 18  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
v. 19  to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
v. 20  Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
v. 21  to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 03:39:02 PM by Kat »

psalmsinger

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 02:46:12 PM »

In my walk with the Father through Jesus Christ my Lord and my quest for His Truth, I have at one time or another been told by different religious groups that I was part of the small percentage of the population that is the "righteous protestant", "the house of Israel",  "the very elect", "7,000 who never bowed a knee to Baal", "the 144,000", "firstfruits", "gentiles who are grafted in",  and now I'm either in the 20% who will be back to the conference, or the 80% who are "religious hobbyests"  ;D  I'll not relate what I've been called outside of each of the groups ;D.  It is not about a group I may find myself a part of, or about me or about my experiences.  The only testimony I have is the testimony of Jesus Christ.  Where ever the Lord leads, I trust in His will and purpose for my life.  I will determine like Paul to only know Jesus Christ and Him crucified, and not to judge anything or anyone before it's time,  Praise God!

1 Cor 2:2
2   For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. (KJV)

1 Cor 4:4-5
4   For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5   Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
(KJV)

Barbara

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »

For me Religious Hobbyist shows two things. First Religious. That is the Religious spirit after the things of The Spirit like Simon the sorcerer. In for themselves. Trying to buy in, get in or be in the inner circle of faith without faith, without sincerity. Rather like a chicken. Prepared to lay an egg or two but not like a pig, that is prepared to give the bacon! That for me means someone who is willing to be persecuted and carry their cross to the death. The sorcerer was someone considered great too! So even the Pope can be called a Religious Hobbyist having the appearance of being religious in the true way but being far from it and given to heresy and the teachings of falsehood. Great Religious leaders can be just like the sorcerer so religious hobbyist is a gentle way of describing those given to error who might be great in the eyes of "Religion".

Acts  8 : 9 A man named Simon had been a sorcerer there for many years, claiming to be someone great. The Samaritan people from the least to the greatest, often spoke of him as the Great One - the Power of God. He was very influential because of the magic he performed. ......18 When Simon saw that the Holy Spirit was given when the apostles placed their hands upon people's head, he offered money to buy THIS POWER.....

It sure takes the Power of God to stand against the world and Mystery Babylon as Ray is doing!  :D ;D that might cause folks to come and investigate and not stick around when they find they can not trade or buy what only God can give!

Hobbyist is like Kat said.  For me too it is part time, side line, feel good entertainment. Not anything like a cross.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 06:30:27 PM by Arcturus »

Robin

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 05:26:28 PM »

I can remember the change in my life.

It went from What can God do for me? to What does God want from me? to God please get rid of this carnal me and be my life instead.

Like Ray says,

“getting saved” is the hardest most difficult thing that any human being in the history of the universe will ever do. There is nothing harder than “getting saved”. Are you hearing me? It is the hardest thing any human being will ever do in all of eternity. It’s the ultimate hard task.

John 12:24-25 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.”

That’s a “verily, verily” too by the way, He didn’t just say that, He said “truly, truly, except a grain of wheat die” We’re the grain of wheat. We have to die. Who wants to die? Where are you going to get a congregation of 25,000 skillion Christians if you tell them you’re going to teach them how to die? I don’t want to die, who wants to die! If you’re going to be a follower of Jesus Christ, you have to die.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 06:39:36 PM »

I often wondered why Paul went to Rome after he was warned by the Spirit of what awaited him there. He went anyway. Instead of avoiding his death by execution, he went to Rome and said goodbye to his brethren. For me this does not mean disobedience to the Holy Spirit but that Jesus Christ gave Paul the power to lay down his life. I think this shows how outstanding Christ made Paul's life to exemplify His own.

You are going to be killed if you go to Rome! Okay, I going to Rome...bye....won't be seeing you again in this life time....! Paul knew it and despite the tears of regret from his brethren, he went to his death in true following in the footsteps of Christ.

What about the other Apostles? They were martyred too. What was their stay of execution time? How long did Paul journey to get to Rome and his death as stated he would meet by the Spirit. Paul could have escaped had not Christ lead him...and perhaps by that time, there was no dragging Paul. I believe Paul went to his death with joy and anticipation of seeing His Lord and never having ever to be separated from Him again. No one can get that kind of attitude unless Christ gives it, makes it and authors it into us!

Getting saved is as you remind us all M G.

Peace to you

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 06:41:13 PM by Arcturus »

gmik

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »

Barbara....I love it.... ;D ;D

;)

hart4god

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 11:02:56 PM »

Like most hobbies, religion makes people feel good (about themselves)
you can tell the true believers from the hobbiest when persecution and tribulation arise..... for the hobby types it's bye- bye- bye!

there is an awful (and wonderful) price to pay to be in the truth and the hobbiest will never pay it. ( and if he does- it is no longer a hobby but maybe a passion  :) )

-Like Paul knowing by the Spirit that death awaited him in Rome, he did not hesitate one second from doing and being in the will of God.

only time will tell whether "my hobby" will turn into my vocation and calling.
judie h.

psalmsinger

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »

Gena,

I did so enjoy meeting you and chatting together :)  Enjoy your weekend and
soon coming summer vacation!

Barbara

Barbara....I love it.... ;D ;D

;)

CDJ

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:32:16 AM »

Hi all :-),

"We have proof in the scriptures that what we believe is true." - Matt
"The difference now, and it is a vast difference, is that I am consumed with learning this truth.  It is on my mind most of the time." - Kat
"That for me means someone who is willing to be persecuted and carry their cross to the death." - Arcturus
"Where ever the Lord leads, I trust in His will and purpose for my life." - psalmsinger
"to God please get rid of this carnal me and be my life instead" - M.G.
"Like most hobbies, religion makes people feel good (about themselves)." - hart4god

Thank you all very much, for helping with this. I just quoted from a few of your replies... Awesome.

I felt the need, for yet testing myself again, which I believe keeps us on track. And who to better help, than others of like-mind :-)

In the morning when I open my eyes, my thoughts wander to Him,
When I stand in the shower, my thoughts wander to Him,
The drive to work, is consumed with thoughts of Him,
The stress at work gets replaced, by thoughts of Him,
When anger arises, His Words consume it,
The drive to home, in traffic, is consumed by thoughts of Him,
When I get home and rest, my thoughts are with Him,
At night, when the light's off and it's time to sleep, my thoughts keep on wandering and wandering,
learning truth after truth, and how thankful are we, for Him to open our eyes.

Thank you all, I am NO religious hobbyist!

Love to all, in His Name :-)
Carl

Kat

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »

Hi Carl,

That was a very nice poem  :)
You should move it to the new board, 'Inspirationals, Writings, Poems, Etc.'

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

skydreamers

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »

Yes Carl, lovely poem!

But Kat, where is the "new board, 'Inspirationals, Writings, Poems etc.'??  I can't seem to find it ???

Thanks,
Diana

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »

Carl that poem was very innovative and creative of you! Thank you.

When I was 21 I remember these words came to my mind and they have been with me ever since. They came up again after I read your poem.

In life there is God. In death there is God. In creation, there is Godliness!

Peace be to you

Kat

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 07:07:03 PM »

Hi Diana,

Here is the link to the new board for poem, inspirational writings, and such.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/board,15.0.html

I put one there to get it started  :)

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

skydreamers

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 10:50:27 PM »

oh I see it now, it's at the top...thanks Kat!! 8)

Peace,
Diana
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.