bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evil  (Read 6234 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Evil
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:31 PM »

The Hebrew word for evil "rah" is used in many different ways in the Bible. In the KJV Bible, it occurs 663 times. 431 times it is translated as "evil." The other 232 times it is translated as "wicked", "bad", "hurt", "harm", "ill", "sorrow", "mischief", "displeased", "adversity", "affliction", "trouble", "calamity", "grievous", "misery", and "trouble." So we can see that the word does not require that it be translated as "evil." This is why different Bibles translate this verse differently. It is translated as "calamity" by the NASB and NKJV; "disaster" by the NIV; and "woe" by the RSV

We can see that the Bible teaches that God is pure and does not approve of evil, that the word "rah" (evil) in Hebrew can mean many things, and that contextually, the verse is speaking calamity and di stress. Therefore, God does not create evil in the moral sense, but in the sense of di saster, of calamity

Dear Nameless: And I suppose you think that you have said something meaningful, or something that contradicts what I teach?  I have said repeatedly that "evil has no moral bias." It is the motive behind the use of evil that determines whether it is "morally" right or wrong.  So you be sure to remember this next time you hear of an earthquake killing ten thousand men, women, children, and infants. Are you seriously trying to tell me that when the translators change "evil" to "disaster or calamity," that there is therefore no "EVIL" involved in either? A "pure" God DID CREATE EVIL, and that is something you will have to learn to live with and die with. Death itself is an evil and an enemy which Jesus will abolish.  You have spiritually and morally accomplished absolutely nothing by changing evil into calamity.

God be with you,

Ray

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: Evil
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:25:15 AM »

Friend, God uses the calamity for GOOD. Everything God does is GOOD. So even when God creates calamity, it is GOOD because GOD did it.

And if you look at the context of the verse in Isaiah 45:6-7, it is clear that calamity is the proper word. God makes peace, and the OPPOSITE of peace, CALAMITY.

Everything God does is morally right, regardless of what we puny humans think!

God be with YOU,

James.

Dear James:  Are you suggesting that I have ever said or insinuated that God uses evil for EVIL? Have I?  No I haven't. I have said over and over and over again that "God uses evil for GOOD."
You are arguing with yourself. Yes, God uses "clamity" for good, but for those killed, and maimed in calamity IT IS EVIL. And NO, calamity is not the opposite of peace, as you suggest. The particular kind of evil that is being contrasted with "peace," is 'WAR"!
Did God create "The tree of good and CALAMITY?"

"So will I send upon you FAMINE and EVIL [ra] BEASTS, and they shall BEREAVE thee, and PESTILENCE and BLOOD shall pass through you, and I will bring the SWORD up;on you, I the LORD have spoken it"  (Ezek. 5:17).

So FAMINE, BEASTS BEREAVEMENT, PESTILENCE AND BLOOD, and the SWORD are not evil, are they?  And just when was the last time you saw a "CALAMITOUS beast"?

Give it up, and believe the Scriptures.

God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.