bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freedom Writers  (Read 6619 times)

LittleBear

Freedom Writers
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:53:42 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone seen this movie- Freedom Writers?
I just saw it and WOW, what a wonderful movie!

It amazes me what the power of love will do! I don't want to say anything about it, but if you haven't seen it, please see it.

Joe,

The teacher in this movie and what she went through reminds me of what your daughter is going through. I was thinking about your daughter throughout this entire movie. If she hasn't seen it, I would encourage her to do so, as it would be an encouragement to her.

Ursula

hillsbororiver

Re: Freedom Writers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 10:51:54 AM »

Thank you Ursula,

I will check it out.

Joe

joyful1

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »

Hi Ursula--
My husband and I watched the "Freedom Writers" ....I was impressed that this teacher would go to such lengths to reach those lost and hurting kids! A true story too! I thought it was great! Do you know if the woman that helped hide Anne Frank in WWII is STILL alive? I forget how many years its been since the actual events portrayed in this "true story" unfolded. She would have to be near 90 if not over.
Joyce

LittleBear

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:00:04 PM »

Hi Joyce,

I was so impressed by this movie, and as you say, it's a true story.

Yes, the lady who helped the Franks, Miep Gies is still alive. She was born in 1909 which makes her 98 years old now. She lives in Holland. She and her husband Jan helped Anne's family during the war and hid them. She also found and kept Anne Frank's diary after they were discovered by the Nazis.

I loved Anne Frank's Diary as a teenager and read it many times. In my early 20's I went backpacking in Europe and when I was in Amsterdam, I visited the house where Anne and her family were hidden. It is a memorial and museum. It was an amazing, moving experience. I was pretty goosebumpy.

Ursula

joyful1

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »

:) Ursula;
I too loved reading Anne Frank's Diary....it was one of my favorite books as a child...going through the experience of watching my own children grow up and read it was just as fulfilling. Please share your pics of Anne's place, if you have any! I would LOVE to hear Miep Gies speak about her experiences! I think the truth of this matter is that, we are being shaped by the hands of God right now...and we know full well that this means time in places of sorrow, pain and great mental stress....more so than places of love, and peace, and joy.  So I think that we, as a group, seeking God, we identify with Anne's experiences quite naturally....don't you think?
Joyce

LittleBear

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »

Hi Joyce,

You are right, we can certainly identify with Anne's experiences in our walk with God. He uses the evil in the world to mold us into His nature and to mature us into His sons and daughters. The concentration camps of those days were brutal. There was so much fear and suffering and torture, that I have a hard time coming to grips with it in the plan of God. When I think of what Anne went through, it puts me to shame when I complain about some of the things that I go through, which are NOTHING in comparison.

I don't have any pictures of Anne's hiding place. It's too bad I don't, but you could probably find some on the internet. Did you see the movie about Anne Frank? It's an old movie, black and white, but very moving.

Ursula :)

joyful1

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »

Yes, I do remember the movie, Ursula....it was quite good....I tend to like the older movies that move at a "snails" pace....easier for me to keep up with what is going on....these days....there is too much "going to and fro," and "increase of knowledge," for me to understand the plot or character development, etc.....I give up!! LOL...
On a serious note...I always have deep respect for anyone having endured the holocaust or Viet Nam or any of the MANY other terrible slaughters of our day...
I think that "The Diary of Anne Frank" is the reason that I identify so well with the Holocaust, however.....if there had been personal first person accounts of the other places that were as famous and discussed as often as Anne's diary...then...I probably would feel closer to them as well...do you know what I am trying to say?  THis in NO way belittles Anne in my thoughts.  She endured great tragedy and suffering! WHat part do you remember the most vividly?

gmik

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »

Hi gals.

I too was able to visit the house.  What got me was the size of it. I loved the book, but it could not convey how small a room they were all in. I was not a believer then, and it was so depressing to me and I was in fear that it could happen again and I simply could not endure what Anne did.

I can't remember word for word, but that belief of hers that all people are still good, and that because of the Sun she can see all things is proof to her of a God.(Oh, I botched that up).
Anyway, you two know what I mean.

LittleBear

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »

I think what struck me when I was reading the book, was how the family was an ordinary family trying to live and love and maintain their usual lives in horrendous circumstances. Anne was an adolescent just like any other, experiencing family problems, competing with her sister, struggling with her mother, adoring her father, trying to find out who she is and what she believes in, falling in love and all the things that young adults deal with. All this in a packed, tiny hiding place where they had to maintain silence during the day. And no air conditioning. Can you imagine how hot it must have been?

I remember one part where a thief stole into the warehouse, and how frightened Anne was. Her feelings were so vividly portrayed in her account that I felt I was there with her.

Gina, I remember too how small their hiding place was. It's hard to imagine two families living together in such tight quarters.

Ursula

joyful1

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »

Hi Girls! I remember both scenes...wow...Anne was hated because of her outward "Jewishness" and we are hated because of our inward "Jewishness"...so many parallels...
I think The Diary of Anne Frank should be required reading for youngsters....when I am having a really bad day, I can honestly say, that I sometimes think of the Jews that had to endure the Holocaust and this always, always makes me thankful for the ability that Christ gives me to bear up under duress...and reminds me that I have a cross to bear...but not alone!
If Anne was not a Christian.....how do you think she was able to endure such suffering? She had insight, thoughtfulness, caring.....but not Christ! Admirable, but not complete? strange.
Joyce

LittleBear

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 04:09:38 PM »

I think God reveals Himself in part to people, even people who don't want to see Him.

Rom 1:20  For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.

Thats so true Joyce, God does help us bear up under duress. He gives us the ability to endure.

Ursula

gmik

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 05:47:22 PM »

She is the type of person that even not knowing the truth, she acted as she should have-christlike.  Could she be in the first resurrection??

LittleBear

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 06:03:03 PM »

One day we'll find out. :)

joyful1

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »

Hey there...did you guys see this in the news today? ....Joyce
June 07, 2007-- AOL NEWS......
Girl's Holocaust Diary Emerges After 60 Years
By ARI RABINOVITCH, REUTERS

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A Polish woman who for 60 years had been holding onto the diary of a young Jewish girl killed by the Nazis in 1943, presented the journal to Israel's Holocaust memorial on Monday.

"I have a feeling that I'm writing for the last time. There is a (round-up) in town. I'm not allowed to go out and I'm going crazy, imprisoned in my own house," 14-year-old Rutka Laskier wrote while living in a Jewish ghetto in Bedzin, Poland on February 20, 1943.

Laskier hid her diary under the floorboards of her house before her family was deported to Auschwitz concentration camp.

It was later found by Stanislawa Sapinska, a Bedzin native, who lived in the house before the German occupation and had befriended Laskier.

LittleBear

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 02:41:30 PM »

Wow....that gives me goosebumps!
I wonder if her diary will ever be published.

Ursula

joyful1

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »

:) I'm trying to find a copy to read myself!! Let me know if you find one....
the article is on several news wires right now...
here is one:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews
then search for "holocaust, diary, 60 years" etc.

according to this article;
"The original Polish manuscript was published earlier this year and has now been translated into English and Hebrew."

Joyce

LittleBear

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »

Thanks Joyce :)

That was really interesting. I'll keep my eyes open.

Ursula

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »

A teenagers diary exposes the Beast and a Shepherd boys sling shot brought down a Giant!

Oh God is so wise and good! He uses the foolish things of this world and He triumphs over the wisdom of this wicked worlds monsters.

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.