bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jonah  (Read 5429 times)

jkunkel

jonah
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:04:40 AM »

not a big question but just curious what other people think.near the end of jonah when the lord PROVIDES a vine to shade and comfort jonahs head that he was very happy about is it a symbolical vine like a comforting bit of knowledge or something of that nature or just literal or both at the same time cuse he already had shade from his shelter he built the line before and why would litteral shade ease his discomfort anyway. then the worm,maybe his pride?, eats the base of the vine and it withers so is the worm both literal and symbolical like the worm in other places in the bible maybe a deception or something that ate away at his knowledge.i say knowledge cuse god said the people in the great city didnt know there right from there left which was kind of out of place if thats not what the vine is.anyway this is about it saying god PROVIDED first the fish then the vine then the worm then a scorching east wind,since when is wind scorching fire is scorching,everytime saying the lord provided so are all these things symbolical or both litteral and symbolical?  ps.why is his prayer in past tense?  and what about the DEEP sleep he was in? it all seems like there is so much symbolizm but is it also literal?  sorry for the legnth guys   

gzeigler

Re: jonah
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 04:32:14 AM »

I once read a book titled, "Let there be Light ...seven keys to understanding the bible..."

You can find it at this link http://www.amazon.com/Let-There-Be-Light-Seven/dp/0963129244

The author contends the entire book of Jonah is a parody, an act, an embellished story to explain God's plans.

I think you find the book to be interesting and relevant to your search for understanding into the book of Jonah.

Grace and peace,
gtz

Robert

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:40:49 AM »

I haven’t recently read the Book of Jonah, but from my last reading I get this: Jonah didn’t like those in the City of Nineveh. It has been suggested that Nineveh had pillaged and raped Jonah’s home town, and Jonah was glad that God had intended to bring justice to the City. With that mind, Jonah would have been somewhat miffed by God granting grace to the people of Nineveh following their sincere repentance. In the last chapter, Jonah is waiting to see if God would still judge the city, and God providing him with shelter. When his shelter is destroyed, Jonah is not gladdened by the mercy of God towards a great city, but is angry by the circumstances surrounding him. We are left to wonder if Jonah ever appreciated grace over justice.
I would conclude that like so many of the happenings of the Old Testament, they did happen, but they are Holy Scripture to teach us about the ways of God. I certainly do not believe it is a ‘parody’ or an embellished story.

gzeigler

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »

Jonah did not like the Ninevites at all.  After he preached his message he fully expected God's judgement to be executed upon the city.  Surprisingly they repented and this angered/perplexed Jonah.  The book still has strange language that shows activity contrary to nature.  For instance a plant that grew overnight and died the following.  With God, all things are possible. 

ciy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »

I believe that the book of Jonah is a great testament of God's will always being done.  Jonah's will was to go away from Ninevah, but God caused him to go and do exactly what God wanted Jonah to do. 

Then, Jonah shows how man wants his enemy to be separated from God and for God not to show them mercy like God shows us. 

Then God gives Jonah some rest and comfort before he puts Jonah through another test of not having the shade and comfort that God did for Jonah.  God then says to Jonah, "So you have concern for the gourd and have love for the gourd that I supplied to you, but you have no love for several thousand people that do not know about the truth of God and are actually ignorant of God.

God is going to save everybody in the end even those that do not know "their left from the right" about God.  And he will do so simply because that is what God wants to do and it is above our understanding just as it was above Jonah's understanding.

God is awesome.
CIY

gzeigler

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 10:36:31 PM »

Nahum 3:7

I think Ninenveh was ultimately destroyed anyway. 

God just waited one hundred years or so!

Grace and peace,
gtz

Joey Porter

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:38:34 AM »

I believe that the book of Jonah is a great testament of God's will always being done.  Jonah's will was to go away from Ninevah, but God caused him to go and do exactly what God wanted Jonah to do. 

Then, Jonah shows how man wants his enemy to be separated from God and for God not to show them mercy like God shows us. 

Then God gives Jonah some rest and comfort before he puts Jonah through another test of not having the shade and comfort that God did for Jonah.  God then says to Jonah, "So you have concern for the gourd and have love for the gourd that I supplied to you, but you have no love for several thousand people that do not know about the truth of God and are actually ignorant of God.

God is going to save everybody in the end even those that do not know "their left from the right" about God.  And he will do so simply because that is what God wants to do and it is above our understanding just as it was above Jonah's understanding.

God is awesome.
CIY

I agree that the book of Jonah is a great example of how God's will supercedes man's will.  It was not by Jonah's free will preaching that the Ninevites repented.  I would even be willing to bet Jonah gave a half hearted effort when he preached to them.  But they repented nonetheless.

I think Jonah also represents a great example of that carnal, self centered, prodigal son's older brother side that we all have in our flesh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.